Stalling for time with Persuasion rolls?

Ragitsu

Is there a rule or perhaps some sort of specified sub-system for social interactions that deals with stalling for time? I imagine it would factor in the determination not to mention social acumen of the target (that is to say, it is easier to stretch out a conversation with a bored cashier as opposed to a seasoned general or ideological fanatic). Also, anything involving penalties/bonuses in regards to "time bands"* would be handy.

* As in, you are are constantly negotiating for a second more and so are rolling every second or are trying to buy another minute and therefore have to make an opposed check every minute and so on.

I don't think I've ever heard this question asked, and it would be cool to know how others would answer it. 

Personally, I would use a conversation roll at penalties for time of delay (a minute would be -3) but I can see other PRE based skills being used based on what was transpiring.

I could even see charm(aka seduction) or oratory (making a grand soliloquy) to distract a person working too.  I wonder besides the PRE skills, could one use some other skill to distract someone for a bit in a non-complimentary way?  Maybe PS:Performer?

Oh, I noticed I didn't explain why the time minute was -3, if it wasn't obvious.  For those who didn't follow, IIRC, a minute is the third increment on the time chart (extra phase, turn, minute, 5 minutes, etc.).  So distracting someone for 5 minutes would be -4.

I'm in agreement that it is a presence attack with a skill roll modifier... conversation, charm, persuasion... any of which could work. 

Edit: Actually, it really depends on the extent of what they are trying to do and the circumstances. If the target of the stall doesn't really know they are being stalled (keeping the nurse at the desk while someone slips into the patient's room) then that is a skill roll, conversation or charm... but the target is actively being stopped from acting... (Hold on! You don't want to shoot me because...!" to get the villain to not pull the trigger on a raised gun...) then THAT I'd say is an active "attack" on an opponent and needs a presence attack... skill roll to help.

Circumstances are important in how I'd rule this in a game.

I'm in agreement with Bolo: Persuasion or Conversation depending on the circumstances. I suppose a PRE attack could be used, but is vague (other than the PRE attack chart) as to what happens. A skill vs skill is way more exciting and interesting. As time goes on, it gives the character with the skill a chance to ham it up.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the problem with having half a dozen tiny subskills - we don't want to let any of them do anything.  Persuasion convinces, persuades or influences individuals, and makes lies more believable.  It seems like one could persuade someone to stick around for a while, or suggest that there is no rush given how slow the police are to respond to issues in this neighborhood so you have lots of time to steal some more swag from the nearby tills.  Other interaction skills could also cause the target to stick around longer, using different approaches.