February 2018 Superdraft: Ship a Romantic Comedy

Pariah

OK, I've got a concept, so I'm in.

alpha "Male": Bender, robot from Futurama

alpha "Female":  Rosie, domestic servant robot from The Jetsons

That catches me up fully, I think.  My theme is obvious, but there's a rich variety of source material.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

OK, I've got a concept, so I'm in.

alpha "Male": Bender, robot from Futurama

alpha "Female":  Rosie, domestic servant robot from The Jetsons

That catches me up fully, I think.  My theme is obvious, but there's a rich variety of source material.

You still have one pick to catch up. 

Title:

Lemme Show You My Junk

All the junk in the known Universe — and some anonymous unknown universes — passes through Sakaar.  A few organics do as well, but this is the junk world, and it’s where a lot of past-their-warranty robots end up as well.  They may be past their warranty, and they may have out-existed all the “organics” they knew shortly after they were fabricated, but these entities have got a lot of time left in them, and you have to spend eternity somehow.  Companionship is often one part of that.  No romance lasts forever, but as a robot, chances are you get more chances to get it right than the meatbags do.

Sakaar has a big underground economy for the post-discard robots, and they’ve set up their own society under the huge wreckage piles, places where the organics wouldn’t be allowed in even if they could get there.  Some of the robot discards have day jobs, working upstairs for the Grandmaster, bringing in meatbag credits that can be spent on generally unavailable “lubricants” that invariably get scavenged long before they are tossed into a wormhole leading to the Junk World.  Other robots have their own gigs in their underground economy, and spend their time in their own way.  

Our story happens there.

It's now 10 past 5 EST, and assuming Bazza is correct that I had one more pick I could make last night, I will now draft LEMME SHOW YOU MY JUNK's beta couple:

4. R2-D2, from the Star Wars franchise, "male" of the couple

5. the title android of Galaxina, who is unquestionably the female :love:

More fiction has to wait until I make more picks.  I don't think there is any danger of being sniped now, but fiction needs more than just the two couples and the base location.

Okay. I see that my creator of robots may soon have no new robots to create thanks to Latecomer Cancer. I'd like at least one...

So..

Beta Couple Pick: Robot (From Lost in Space TV show) who is not just trying to hook up himself, but is also Joel's best bud "Danger, Joel Robinson! She is out of your league!"

And who does Joel long for with the fire of a thousand sons?

Alpha Couple pick 2: C.J. Cregg (From the West Wing)

In her job as Press Secretary and Spokeswoman for the Empire

"I've just received word that the Empire's 'System downsizing program' is a success, and things will be much ...roomier, in the Alderaan system"

Near miss with Robot, but I think we are safe from each other, Hermit.  

I am stone cold certain my intended pick for the role of Rosie's ex is utterly safe even if absurdly obvious.

In fact, I'll be making my next picks Monday, to give you and everyone else latitude among the mechanical set.

Next two picks for Lemme Show You My Junk:

6. (neighbor) The iconic Robby the Robot, of Forbidden Planet and a number of other early science fiction film & TV

7. (option: subordinate location) Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, equally iconic site of the famous short stories by Spider Robinson

You might think that an immortalized place like Callahan's ought not end up dumped through a wormhole as a piece of junk, but a tragic mishap at Brookhaven National Lab borne out of continual budget reductions in the first half of the 21st Century caused a pair of mini neutron stars to merge uncontrolled and, rather than forming a workable wormhole or a literal gold mine of neutron-rich rare metals,  spilled a quadrillion tons of high-temperature neutrons throughout Long Island.  Callahan's, located at an unspecified location in Suffolk County, was irradiated heavily, and while Callahan himself escaped with an otherwise intact shipping container full of rather hot Irish, the site itself was within the extensive area made "permanently" uninhabitable by the subnuclear accident.

Fast-forward a few years, and the rather hot detritus from New York was dumped through a successful wormhole experiment and ended up on Sakaar.

Robby, who has literally Seen It All in terms of Earth and robots, recognized the only slightly radioactive remnant of Callahan's from the door damaged by Big Beef McCaffrey, and with an entrepreneurial sense honed over the long years, set it right-side-up and turned it into an establishment catering to old-timer "mechanicals" from Earth's part of the Orion Arm.  He knew how to run a bar, he knew his intended clientele, and he had the dayside credits to get the "lubricants" his fellow robots looked for when they wanted to unwind; and he knew that the retro-nostalgia atmosphere attending The Bar that welcomed aliens, nonhumans, and time travellers would appeal to those robots with long memories and some fondness for simpler times on Old Earth.  He even kept the name, sheltered from prying sight by a couple of cubic kilometers of accumulating junk, with an entry kept clear by strategic hirings of entities like Hulk and Thor in need of special favors without accompanying questions.  For the most part, Robby holds no grudges against the biologicals, but no one has any illusions about where he's more comfortable now and what his loyal paying customer base is.  Except on Binary Night, meatbag patrons are as welcome as anyone (another nod to the history of Callahan's), but those are few in number, and the offerings for them are limited to some ancient Irish whiskey (another throwback) and an on-tap fluid of questionable heritage labeled "WINE, RED".

There's a regular rotation of atmosphere nights, each reflecting different eras and beckoning to different specialty patrons, ranging from Binary Night where no meatbag language is permitted on the premises, to Robby's Old Country Night where Old Earth music is performed by robotic musicians, and Robby himself picks up a guitar and stands in front of the mike and sings his trademark song, which is the theme song for Lemme Show You My Junk.  That, however, is a later pick.

1. Location: The world of Greek Mythology, from Hades to Olympus.

2. Alpha Couple Male: Eros

3. Alpha Couple Female: Psyche

4. Beta Couple Male: Ares

5. Beta Couple Female: Aphrodite

How many more do I need at this point?

Lucius Alexander

Wacky palindromedary