Focus

tiger

If a player has a character that needs an item to focus and use a power that is within them and not the item, would you use the Focus limitation or Limited Power limitation.

Picture needing a steel rod to shoot a lighting bolt that the character create in their body

In my current campaign, one of the characters generates cold.  By himself, it's a generalized field that's simply colder than the surrounding area (Change Environment plus some Resistant Energy Defense).  He also carries a "pistol" that allows him to focus this energy into various types of beams.  All of those were built OAF because he can't generate the beams without the specially-designed "pistol".

It really comes down to how difficult it is to replace the item.  If the rod is specially designed and it would be difficult to replace then you are definitely in focus territory.  If he lost the rod and could simply rip something apart to get a facsimile - like the crankshaft of a car - and it works fine, then you can use the focus system but should downgrade the limitation to reflect the lesser impact of losing the item.

Doc

Focus works fine.  A power doesn't have to come from the focus for you to get the limitation for it.

Dumbo's feather is a great example of a focus that doesn't actually contain the power.  He needs it to fly, so it's a focus.  It doesn't matter that it's all in his head -- that's just the justification for when he wants to buy off the limitation after getting some more XP.

I agree with Steve that this is a GM oriented decision.  Personally, I don't have a problem with any build so long as it make sense in the fact that its overall limitation cost is inline with the how limiting the limitation is and the limitation effectively does what it says.

I generally use restrainable for OAF things which do not need to be that specific focus.  In other words, in the steel rod example, as doc democracy noted, if he can just grab any long piece of metal and use it, I see it as something that can restrain the use of the power.  But if a player came to me with OAF, just as long as it takes a while to replace the OAF (ex: not in combat) then I would be ok with it. 

I typically use OIF to represent "OAF of opportunity".  Sure, you can take his metal rod away, but if he can pick up any hunk of metal and use it, it's not quite as limiting as a regular OAF. 

Since Restrainable and OIF are both -1/2 Limitations, they're effectively the same, as long as both the player and GM understand what the particulars are.

21 hours ago, Nothere said:

That's Disco Dazzler to you.  :) As for the focus yeah when I did this I used oaf, but the character jus needed any long thing to use the power. Stick or pipe what your talking about is a bit more restricted and might be a second disad. Focus any long piece of metal.

They considered a movie version in the early 1980s starring Bo Derek.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:21 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

I typically use OIF to represent "OAF of opportunity".  Sure, you can take his metal rod away, but if he can pick up any hunk of metal and use it, it's not quite as limiting as a regular OAF. 

Since Restrainable and OIF are both -1/2 Limitations, they're effectively the same, as long as both the player and GM understand what the particulars are.

This...

"OAF of opportunity" is a great general limitation, often only worth -1/4 depending on how it plays out... but the idea is that "sometimes the thing I need isn't just lying around" and so is up to the GM to enforce when it gets taken away, lost, or just not available.

Totally anecdotally, I've noticed that players with -1/2 OAF of Opportunity are WAY more ok with not having their focus available, compared to players with an -1 OAF (which by limitation should be unavailable way more often) but the Focus is a "special thing" (Caps Shield, etc.) that losing "feels bad man, feels real bad"

In fact, I've come to dread PCs with special OAF equipment, because it invariably leads to grumpy players when the OAF gets taken/lost/limited, which should be basically 50% of the time. (Half price gets you half effective use.) Even when it is only like 1 in 20 times they don't have it, they still feel bad. Foci of any kind my biggest warning sign power builds, in that I make sure they are totally ok if they are without the use of the power quite often.

Remember that any limitation means that the player will not be able to use it part of the time.  A -1  Limitation means that the character will not be able to use that power at least once during the adventure.  A -1/2 means that player will have their power lost in half the adventures.

OAF = Obvious Assessable Focus

IAF = Inobvious Assessable Focus

OIF = Obvious Inassessable Focus

IAF = Inobvious Inassessable Focus

Personal Focus = Only the person can use it.

Universal Focus = Everyone can use it.

Semi-Personal Focus = Only a small group of people can use it.

Conditional Focus = As long as you meet certain conditions, you can use it. (Example: Thor's hammer.)

Indestructible Focus = It can't be destroyed, except by special means.

Fragile Focus = It only has one Body and no defense, so don't sneeze.

23 minutes ago, dmjalund said:

I think you mean Accessible

Assessable means you can see what it does by looking at it

possibly a limitation, but not what you meant

Come on. I call myself the Misspellion Master. You should expect me using one word over the other cause I can't recognize the correct spelling.

It is also why I don't serious write RPG modules and adventures. And it is not like English is a second language or I'm delexous (seeing letters all wired). I just can't spell, am lazy, have fat fingers, and a spell check which thinks I am trying to type this word instead of that word.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, RDU Neil said:

"OAF of opportunity" is a great general limitation, often only worth -1/4 depending on how it plays out... but the idea is that "sometimes the thing I need isn't just lying around" and so is up to the GM to enforce when it gets taken away, lost, or just not available.

I had a character that flew via bootstrap telekinesis on a surfboard. I'd purchased it as an OIF, since he could use any reasonably stiff object (sheet of plywood, ironing board, couch, etc) in a pinch, and it would have been hard to take away from him in any case. Then the party entered a VIPER base, and carrying around a surfboard (even a shortboard) would have been really awkward. After a brief consultation with the GM, we decided that the board was collapsible. 

Lady Liberty 

Val Char Cost

15 STR 5

20 DEX 30

20 CON 20

10 BODY 0

13 INT 3

20 EGO 20

15 PRE 5 

18 COM 4

5 PD 2

5 ED 1

4 SPD 10

7 REC 0

40 END 0

28 STUN 0

Total Characteristics Cost: 100 Points

Cost Skills

3 Bureaucratics 12-

3 Combat Piloting [Combat Aircraft] 13-

3 High Society 12-

3 Mechanics 12-

5 Money: Well Off

2 Navigation [Air] 12-

3 Systems Operation 12-

3 Tactics 12-

Total Skills Cost: 25 Points

Cost Powers

15 Armor +5 rPD +5 rED

50 Multipower (50 Points) "Aphrodite's Torch"

5 u) EGO Attack 5d6 [5 END] "Blue Light"

5 u) EB 10d6 [5 END] "Red Light"

5 u) Mind Control 10d6 [5 END] "White Light"

15 EC [Magic]-15 Points

15 1) Flight 10", 8x NCM [2 END] "Artemis' Sandals"

15 2) FF +10 rPD +10 rED, No END [0 END] "Athena's Shield"

Total Powers Cost: 125 Points

Total Cost: 250 Points

150+ Disadvantages

10 DNPC: Lockhart Aviation Personnel (Normal) 8-

10 Hunted: Countess Claudia von Kruel (As Powerful) 8-

10 Hunted: U.S. Army Air Force (More Powerful/NCI/Watch) 8-

20 Normal Characteristics Maxima

20 PsyL: Code Of The Hero (Very Common/Strong)

20 PsyL: Superpatriot (Common/Total)

10 SocL: Secret Identity [Laura Lockhart, World Famous Aviatrix] (Occasionally/Major)

Total Disadvantages Cost: 250 Points

Laura was granted powers by Athena, Aphrodite, and Artemis, each of whom gave her a mystic device.  They are part of her and she can summon them instantly, and can't be taken away.  Of course she has to find a place to change into her costume out of site or risk her secret identity.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:39 PM, Cassandra said:

Remember that any limitation means that the player will not be able to use it part of the time.  A -1  Limitation means that the character will not be able to use that power at least once during the adventure.  A -1/2 means that player will have their power lost in half the adventures.

I don't see it that mathematical.  An OAF can be disarmed, rendered useless by Grab or Entangle, etc.  It need not be unavailable for an extended period to be limiting.