A puzzling question about extradimensional storage space.

Ragitsu

I'd like to create a somewhat unique form of extra-dimensional storage space for some PCs. Essentially, it is a jigsaw puzzle of a lengthy table that, once properly assembled, allows you to place items in the puzzle. Anything that goes into the puzzle appears on the table with the same color, texture, shading, etc as the table itself. If you can keep the puzzle intact, you can access the space depicted at your convenience. On the other hand, if the completed scene ever breaks apart, be it due to accidental jostling or deliberate mischief, you have to put the pieces together again before the magic can properly function.

With that in mind, i'd like suggestions for modifiers which are relevant to this OAF. Perhaps "Requires INT check"? Higher margins of success would indicate that a character can solve the puzzle at a fast pace.

2 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

I'd like to create a somewhat unique form of extra-dimensional storage space for some PCs. Essentially, it is a jigsaw puzzle of a lengthy table that, once properly assembled, allows you to place items in the puzzle. Anything that goes into the puzzle appears on the table with the same color, texture, shading, etc as the table itself. If you can keep the puzzle intact, you can access the space depicted at your convenience. On the other hand, if the completed scene ever breaks apart, be it due to accidental jostling or deliberate mischief, you have to put the pieces together again before the magic can properly function.

With that in mind, i'd like suggestions for modifiers which are relevant to this OAF. Perhaps "Requires INT check"? Higher margins of success would indicate that a character can solve the puzzle at a fast pace.

Can't really help but awesome concept. :thumbup:

On 2/23/2018 at 8:41 PM, Hyper-Man said:

Requires multiple foci comes to mind.

What happens if one of the 'background' pieces is lost or stolen? How long would it take to discover it's missing. Would it automatically be an edge piece?

On 2/24/2018 at 4:38 AM, Doc Democracy said:

To me this does not sound like multiple foci but a fragile focus that is readily repaired.

Hyper-man’s question is a good one though.  What happens if a piece is missing?  Would the owner even know?  How much time would be wasted putting it together before it was certain piece was missing...

If a piece is missing, you are SOL. The puzzle's magic demands that it be fully arranged before you are able to access the tabletop. Obviously, then, this isn't an artifact you'll be whipping out in the middle of a melee. Protracted encounters such as sieges or perhaps sniper battles are another matter altogether. On the other hand, sufficiently creative owners will find ways to keep the table open for the sake of convenience. An example of a tool that would aid this goal is a custom sized binder without the standard rings (likely augmented with sufficient padding on the inside).

One advantage this puzzle has over its mundane brethren is that the pieces are enchanted to be as hard as steel. As a result, rendering it absolutely useless it will take considerable physical force. Individuals familiar with the arcane arts may instead choose to utilize appropriate dispelling rituals.

"Tricks" like photographic memory are only useful up to a point. Every time you place something on the table, the puzzle pieces change to reflect a (now) unique assortment of items. This is why some sort of INT or INT-based roll is necessary.

By the way...there is one property of this particular extradimensional storage space that I am unsure how to represent. Put simply: time does not pass within. A bowl of ice cream will never melt. A bar of iron will never rust. Even a ticking time bomb will have its countdown stand still. Is this physics-breaking quality part of the default assumption regarding how EDS/EDSS works or does it demand another cost-enhancing modifier?

On 3/2/2018 at 10:55 PM, Ragitsu said:

By the way...there is one property of this particular extradimensional storage space that I am unsure how to represent. Put simply: time does not pass within. A bowl of ice cream will never melt. A bar of iron will never rust. Even a ticking time bomb will have its countdown stand still. Is this physics-breaking quality part of the default assumption regarding how EDS/EDSS works or does it demand another cost-enhancing modifier?

If the objects are in another dimension, just say that the normal rules of physics, science, magic, etc. of that realm do not include time. Unless some special abilities were to be granted no extra cost should be needed.

16 hours ago, tombrown803 said:

If the objects are in another dimension, just say that the normal rules of physics, science, magic, etc. of that realm do not include time. Unless some special abilities were to be granted no extra cost should be needed.

Essentially, you are freely able to define the parameters of the extradimensional space upon purchasing it? So, for example, you could have a snowglobe EDS/EDSS that is perpetually experiencing subzero temperatures on the inside (with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails) or a cupboard that sends objects placed within to a elfin realm where the passage of time moves at an accelerated rate relative to the "real world". Is this interpretation of the rules correct?

On 3/7/2018 at 4:06 AM, Ragitsu said:

Essentially, you are freely able to define the parameters of the extradimensional space upon purchasing it? So, for example, you could have a snowglobe EDS/EDSS that is perpetually experiencing subzero temperatures on the inside (with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails) or a cupboard that sends objects placed within to a elfin realm where the passage of time moves at an accelerated rate relative to the "real world". Is this interpretation of the rules correct?

No. What I was trying to say was that you can define the environment of an dimension for free. If there is a game effect that would have to be paid for. For example, you could say your dimension is always subzero temperature on the inside, but if always wanted those inside to take damage might have to pay points for it. Otherwise its just an environment condition and what effects are happening at a time would be up to the GM.

Does the lack of time inside the extra-dimensional space have any combat effects or advantages that the characters or normally going to be able to take advantage of? Is there a significant effect that the ice cream doesn't melt? How long does it take an iron bar to rust enough to have an major changes to it? Is the puzzle going to be put together fast enough or close enough to put a time bomb in it? If yes, and used regularly than some point cost should be appointed, if its only a one time thing (like something that could be covered by the POWER skill), then it should be free (or perhaps cover it with a Power skill roll)

It is a lovely idea but I probably would not build it as a power: after all anyone (I think) can access what is in the puzzle from the completed puzzle and if you take it apart it takes a long time to set up again.  It is no different, really, to putting it in a time lock safe: you can leave the safe open or lock it for a minimum time.

The only real advantage is that you can easily smuggle contraband and do not have to worry about weight: given the problems and opportunities for plot hooks, I'd probably handwave it - it is not something that sounds likely it is useful in combat.

You COULD build it as a 1 Pip major transform (object to image and back).

If your goal is simply to use the Puzzle as a plot device, it doesn't need any Game Elements attached to it at all. If the PCs (or an NPC) need to be able to destroy it, simply assign it an arbitrary APs value (as well as BODY and Defenses like other non-foci-objects) near that upper limit of what characters are using in your campaign. If somebody is paying for this (or you are rewarding your group with it) it needs an actual value. 

I usually build Extra-Dimensional Storage as a form of Persistent Telekinesis, since in most cases: The intended mechanical benefit of a Bag of Holding or the like is simply being able to carry a given amount of mass without being encumbered. The rest of the junk we use to describe the special effects of how Bags of Holding work I ignore when building them because:

If I were to give my Bag of Holding any combat qualities outside of that intended benefit, it would have to pay for them. Further, it would have to pay for them in a manner usable on all of the container's contents equally. For example, if a bomb placed in the bag stops ticking while inside because time doesn't flow inside the bag, I might require a character buy that element as something like Usable As Attack Extra-Dimensional Movement (To The Moment In Time When The Object/Creature Is Removed From Bag) with appropriate limitations; like only affecting objects/creatures that can fit into the bag. If it were always cold inside, I would require you purchased the appropriate level of Change Environment in order to affect everything in the bag... Building such a device "realistically" would undoubtedly get complicated and expensive if you do it legally...

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, Ragitsu said:

If you have the Advanced Player's Guide II there are several powers, advantages and limitations that deal with time powers that you could probably apply  The one I am thinking of is a Time Stop limited to the table.

By the By what would happen if say a mischievous  villain were to say break in and put you in the puzzle.  Could you get out. 

On 3/17/2018 at 12:19 PM, indy523 said:

If you have the Advanced Player's Guide II there are several powers, advantages and limitations that deal with time powers that you could probably apply  The one I am thinking of is a Time Stop limited to the table.

By the By what would happen if say a mischievous  villain were to say break in and put you in the puzzle.  Could you get out. 

If you had extra dimensional travel, it should be easy.  Otherwise, it might be a bit hard.