HERO System Mobile

sentry0

2 minutes ago, Spence said:

The only request I would make is either a - and + button at the ends of the slides or the ability to tap the value and direct enter the value.

Noted, I'll see what I can do to accommodate the fat fingered (as I am too) 

2 hours ago, sentry0 said:

Well, the damage tool will roll hit locations for you if you tell it to.

Did you just want the reference available to you when you gamed?  I could add it to the "Combat" tab of the character tool.

I'm not sure what else that would entail...did you have any ideas?

I don't know either. But if anyone can think up anything which won't spoil people from buying stuff from Hero.

I was thinking of a create martial arts manuvers thing, but then why buy HSMA? Don't know what to add for Fantasy Hero, Dark Champions, Pulp Hero, ect, ect.

6 minutes ago, steriaca said:

I don't know either. But if anyone can think up anything which won't spoil people from buying stuff from Hero.

Well the app is more of a doing rather than making. 

You input items created rather than create them. 

I'd like to see a GM tool like a  minon control sheet.  Enter the base data and then track the stun/body/end of multiple minons.  You can already import characters.  

How about and initiative control sheet?

A big one for me is the damage roller doesn't have the ability to apply the random stun multiplier for KAs

7 hours ago, Spence said:

I'd like to see a GM tool like a  minon control sheet.  Enter the base data and then track the stun/body/end of multiple minons.  You can already import characters.  

How about and initiative control sheet?

I think that would be stepping on the toes of the Hero Combat Manager a bit too much.  I don't want to recreate something that already exists :)

A big one for me is the damage roller doesn't have the ability to apply the random stun multiplier for KAs

I don't think I understand this one, the system will internally generate a random number between 1-3 for the stun multiplier of non-hit location based KAs.  I don't show the internally generated number, that may be confusing for people.

8 hours ago, steriaca said:

I was thinking of a create martial arts manuvers thing, but then why buy HSMA? Don't know what to add for Fantasy Hero, Dark Champions, Pulp Hero, ect, ect.

I was thinking about your request to show hit locations last night and I think it makes the most sense to show the hit locations table on the hit tool...maybe in a tab to not overwhelm the form.

On 3/6/2018 at 11:46 AM, sentry0 said:

Tabs now only show if there's something to display, ie. if you don't have Perks then the Perk tab won't render...it's an attempt to save some screen real estate.  I loaded up that file you linked the other day and the Equipment tab is there for me...let me know if it doesn't show up for you.  This only applies if you're running the latest build (1.1.0), prior to this there was no equipment tab.

Oh bother - you are right.  It is showing up on the Android version of the application.

I am assuming you are trying to create an application for a player to use on their tablet or smartphone.  Just getting a 'smart character' sheet to work as an application is going to be a pretty big project.

Additional Features:

Amount of detail:

One thing that would be helpful is to have a way to 'strip' out a bunch of the details in the powers/equipment. 

For instance right now the application shows all of the following:

Ainu Full Body Armor (from Scales): Resistant Protection (4 PD/ED) (12 Active Points), Normal Mass (-1), Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, It takes time to put on the armor; -1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)

IMO it would be more useful to only have the following:

Ainu Full Body Armor: Resistant Protection (4 PD/ED) - and if the user touches the item then it opens up the detail

Select an attack power/equipment

If the user selects a power/equipment that is an attack then the damage dice should be populated and then the player can make some change the options or just roll the dice.

Enter damage taken

When the character is hit it would be useful to allow the player to enter the type of damage (mental, presence, transfer, entangle, flash, normal, killing); defense type; and applying that information against the character's current characteristics.  Then updating the state of the character - stunned; knocked out; knocked down/back; etc.

An application that could do all of the above would compliment the HCM very nicely.  Maybe we can figure out a way to integrate a messaging service so HCM could send info to an Hero System Mobile app and get data back.

2 hours ago, bluesguy said:

I am assuming you are trying to create an application for a player to use on their tablet or smartphone.  Just getting a 'smart character' sheet to work as an application is going to be a pretty big project.

Additional Features:

Amount of detail:

One thing that would be helpful is to have a way to 'strip' out a bunch of the details in the powers/equipment. 

For instance right now the application shows all of the following:

Ainu Full Body Armor (from Scales): Resistant Protection (4 PD/ED) (12 Active Points), Normal Mass (-1), Extra Time (1 Minute, Only to Activate, Character May Take No Other Actions, It takes time to put on the armor; -1), OIF (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)

IMO it would be more useful to only have the following:

Ainu Full Body Armor: Resistant Protection (4 PD/ED) - and if the user touches the item then it opens up the detail

Select an attack power/equipment

If the user selects a power/equipment that is an attack then the damage dice should be populated and then the player can make some change the options or just roll the dice.

Enter damage taken

When the character is hit it would be useful to allow the player to enter the type of damage (mental, presence, transfer, entangle, flash, normal, killing); defense type; and applying that information against the character's current characteristics.  Then updating the state of the character - stunned; knocked out; knocked down/back; etc.

An application that could do all of the above would compliment the HCM very nicely.  Maybe we can figure out a way to integrate a messaging service so HCM could send info to an Hero System Mobile app and get data back.

There's some great ideas here.  I would totally be game to try and integrate the app with HCM but I have a lot of work to do between here and there.  I'm actually fairly well versed in client/server application programming from my day job and own a domain we could use to handle messaging etc.  The possibilities are endless ;)

As I called out in my first post; this is all still very much a work in progress so things are evolving and changing.  I originally envisioned just creating a set of GM tools but the project morphed into a more general HERO app when I started playing around with importing characters from HD.  It's actually more player focused now than GM focused.  

Either way I really like your suggestions and I'll probably start trying to implement them soon.  If I can reliably do things like determine the amount of dice to roll for powers and equipment it would be a good first step...I have some concerns around compound powers and linked powers...those are probably too complicated to handle automagically.

21 hours ago, sentry0 said:

There's some great ideas here.  I would totally be game to try and integrate the app with HCM but I have a lot of work to do between here and there.  I'm actually fairly well versed in client/server application programming from my day job and own a domain we could use to handle messaging etc.  The possibilities are endless ;)

As I called out in my first post; this is all still very much a work in progress so things are evolving and changing.  I originally envisioned just creating a set of GM tools but the project morphed into a more general HERO app when I started playing around with importing characters from HD.  It's actually more player focused now than GM focused.  

Either way I really like your suggestions and I'll probably start trying to implement them soon.  If I can reliably do things like determine the amount of dice to roll for powers and equipment it would be a good first step...I have some concerns around compound powers and linked powers...those are probably too complicated to handle automagically.

1. I have a domain as well and my knowledge of client/server apps is ancient.   I was thinking more along the lines of each HCM would act as a local server and people would connect within a LAN vs all over the net.
  2. HCM grew out of my need to manage the bookkeeping surrounding Hero combat, especially large groups of combatants.
  3. The one ask since I put out HCM is a tool for players to use on a tablet and/or HCM to run on a tablet.  I think your application can fit the 1st niche really well.  HCM will not be ported to a tablet anytime soon, if ever.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:25 AM, sentry0 said:

I think that would be stepping on the toes of the Hero Combat Manager a bit too much.  I don't want to recreate something that already exists :)

I don't think I understand this one, the system will internally generate a random number between 1-3 for the stun multiplier of non-hit location based KAs.  I don't show the internally generated number, that may be confusing for people.

For 5th ed and earlier a KA's stun was calculated by multiplying the Body damage rolled by a multiplier from 1d6-1 min 1, or 1 to 5.  I had always played straight 1d6-1 for 0 to 5, but that was probably an early mistake that just stayed in our games.  I don't know if 1st/2nd ed had the min 1.

1 hour ago, Spence said:

For 5th ed and earlier a KA's stun was calculated by multiplying the Body damage rolled by a multiplier from 1d6-1 min 1, or 1 to 5.  I had always played straight 1d6-1 for 0 to 5, but that was probably an early mistake that just stayed in our games.  I don't know if 1st/2nd ed had the min 1.

Right, I understand what you're saying now.  I have actually been mulling over the idea of adding a setting to use 5th or 6th rules for this reason.  It wouldn't do too much at first:

- switch KA stun multiplier rolls

- change knock back to use inches or meters

That's all you can think of that would change from the perspective of the app.

Fyi - I still play 5th but I like the way 6th handles the stun lottery better ;)

2 hours ago, bluesguy said:

1. I have a domain as well and my knowledge of client/server apps is ancient.   I was thinking more along the lines of each HCM would act as a local server and people would connect within a LAN vs all over the net.
  2. HCM grew out of my need to manage the bookkeeping surrounding Hero combat, especially large groups of combatants.
  3. The one ask since I put out HCM is a tool for players to use on a tablet and/or HCM to run on a tablet.  I think your application can fit the 1st niche really well.  HCM will not be ported to a tablet anytime soon, if ever.

That makes sense and would probably be easiest.  

I never designed the app with tablets in mind TBH.  I should probably fire up my ancient Asus tablet and see how it looks.  

On March 3, 2018 at 3:59 PM, steriaca said:

Other things it can use, but put on the back burner.

1) A copy of Hero In Two Pages.

2) "Foxbat Mode", where Foxbat makes random comments at a press of the button. It is all part of the Master Plan TM, after all.

3) HERO-pedia. List of characters, where to find them, and what edition they come from.

Foxbat showing up might be like that Clippy character Microsoft created.

2 hours ago, sentry0 said:

Right, I understand what you're saying now.  I have actually been mulling over the idea of adding a setting to use 5th or 6th rules for this reason.  It wouldn't do too much at first:

- switch KA stun multiplier rolls

- change knock back to use inches or meters

That's all you can think of that would change from the perspective of the app.

Fyi - I still play 5th but I like the way 6th handles the stun lottery better ;)

How about a switch for use stun multiplier yes/no with the ability to choose the randomized range at any value by entering the low and the high.  There could also be a selection to use a defined average.  That would allow the calculator to be used by anyone by the book or by house rule.

By the way my suggestions are based on firm understanding that writing apps is magic for the magic boxes ?

6 minutes ago, Spence said:

How about a switch for use stun multiplier yes/no with the ability to choose the randomized range at any value by entering the low and the high.  There could also be a selection to use a defined average.  That would allow the calculator to be used by anyone by the book or by house rule.

By the way my suggestions are based on firm understanding that writing apps is magic for the magic boxes ?

Haha...well, you're like 5 minutes too late because I just made the setting to select 5th edition or 6th edition rules.

I'll see if I can get support for stun ranges as you suggest in a future release.

1 minute ago, sentry0 said:

Haha...well, you're like 5 minutes too late because I just made the setting to select 5th edition or 6th edition rules.

I'll see if I can get support for stun ranges as you suggest in a future release.

?

5 hours ago, sentry0 said:

"Hey, it looks like you're rolling for damage..."

"Now, with that roll, my master plan is...is that pizza?"

"Wow. I can fit the entire Centerpeedmoble in that roll range."

"Hay Leroy, how's the hacking into this person's cellphone going? Don't worry. It's all part of the master plan (TM)."

"Buddy, got any spare experience points?"