Improving Throwing Objects of Opportunity

g3taso

I want to model a power of a "deadeye" with thrown objects like knives and suchlike weighing a few pounds at most. I was wanting to "upgrade" throwing knives with longer range and no range modifiers and was thinking a Naked Advantage was the way to go. Although normally ranged advantages aren't bought with STR, in this case it seems to be the best way I have found:

2pt Limited Range (+1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR (11 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF of Opportunity(; -1), Thrown Small Objects Only (-0)

Might there be a better or other reasonably simple way, or is this a good approach?

8 hours ago, ghost-angel said:

There's also buying Line Of Site as a Naked Modifier for Thrown Weapons On Hand.

Both good ideas. I'm happy to go CSL route or powers. I was just casting the net for  better ideas. I got two! I can get the naked range modifier (which is not illegal) and CSLs

9 hours ago, g3taso said:

I want to model a power of a "deadeye" with thrown objects like knives and suchlike weighing a few pounds at most. I was wanting to "upgrade" throwing knives with longer range and no range modifiers and was thinking a Naked Advantage was the way to go. Although normally ranged advantages aren't bought with STR, in this case it seems to be the best way I have found:

2pt Limited Range (+1/4), No Range Modifier (+1/2) for up to 15 Active Points of STR (11 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF of Opportunity(; -1), Thrown Small Objects Only (-0)

Might there be a better or other reasonably simple way, or is this a good approach?

Umm, knives don't seem like "objects of opportunity" (per this thread's subject/headline)???  i.e. They seem like planned/prepared objects one brings with him, unlike cars, rocks, chunks of asphalt, opponents who you've grabbed, etc.

and grenades, and radio trackers, and ham sandwiches, and eggs for my neighbor's yard.  I used a knife because I haven't figured out how to model an NA for throwing objects. Silly putty doesn't have an AP value I can think of, or pool balls, or a tire iron.

Like this, with the SFX it could be anything from a ham to a hand grenade?

Throw Anything:  EB 1d6, Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2) (7 Active Points); 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4), OAF of Opportunity (; -1)

(And some 0pt limitation saying it has to be something that could be reasonably thrown of course)

If OIF right though?  If they're picking it up then it might not be hard to take it away from them.  

If you do take OIF you could take Bulky as well because the object thrown is awkward (like a car).

Unless you're like Bullseye and anything your throw always hits the target.

Thrown objects already have limited range based on STR.  Technically there is no limit on how much damage you can do with (say) a thrown housebrick, unless you decide that there is a limit based on either a function of the Body (i.e. if you roll more than Body of the thrown object it is destroyed and only does half damage) or allocate a nominal damage value to the thrown object and limit damage to 2x that.  I don't think either is RAW in the current edition though I could be wrong.

The problem with this construct mathematically is that you can throw very small and light things a long way even with low STR, which is why I would just allow you to throw what you like but limit the damage you can do.  I would determine the damage type based on the thing thrown - glass shards do Killing, half bricks do Normal.

If this is a superhero game then I would be very wary as a GM as it feels like an attempt to get around paying for a ranged attack - but bear in mind you still have to look at how balanced and aerodynamic the object is - small objects will probably be balanced and may or may not be aerodynamic - generally not.

This seems like a classic use of skill levels to me: I would not even bother with PSLs because I'd struggle to understand why it is as easy for the character to throw an awkwardly shaped object as a nice aerodynamic and balanced one, still, up to you and the GM.

Also given that the idea SEEMS to be that the damage is limited to 15 STR it is unlikely to be unbalancing  - however, it does not actually SAY that, and I suspect a little misdirection may be happening.  Bear in mind that a 1/2kg object can be thrown nearly 28m with a standing throw, or nearly 56 with a running throw.

Also you can not do it with the AOE accurate thing either - well, you can but you would be limited to 1d6 damage - you can not 'piggyback' another attack for free - that would need the advantages too.

On 3/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, Hyper-Man said:

If you really want to go the advantage approach you'll need to use EB/blast or RKA with a multipower as it's illegal to put any form of range on strength. Once you build the attacks then apply AOE Accurate 4m to automatically make the DCV of the target 3.

As GM, I'm wary of anyone trying to buy their power with the AOE Accurate just to make an object DCV 3. Of course, an AOE attack can have Dive For Cover used to avoid it. Personally, I'd go with either levels or buying an EB with no range modifier.

It fits several several special effects better than CSLs or PSLs. Examples include Heat Vision (looking at something should be easier than punching it), the 'magic missiles' fired by Tony Stark at terrorists in the first Iron man movie (the HUD and Jarvis). It also works better with Frameworks as GM permission is required to include levels in slots.

I normally include a Limitation making the attack Blockable/Defectable and Dodgeable. A commonly overlooked consequence is a relatively easier Block/Deflect roll since there is no change to OCV for attacker or defender.

1 minute ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I like to use accurate as a flurry of punches. It represents many punches thrown but one hits.

Or a super-fast punch like Bruce Lee's character used in his tournament match against O'Hara as well as true speedsters like Flash and Quicksilver.

10 hours ago, Tech said:

As GM, I'm wary of anyone trying to buy their power with the AOE Accurate just to make an object DCV 3. Of course, an AOE attack can have Dive For Cover used to avoid it. Personally, I'd go with either levels or buying an EB with no range modifier.

My wariness is with people not using Area of Effect Accurate such that the attack in question is usually at the same power as or of slightly greater power than their other attacks.  I would usually have to, as the GM, come down on the PC and say that the CV for that attack is too high and to tone down the OCV or reduce the damage.  I'd also hear the inevitable "but it fits the multipower slot".  Also, with levels, the player will use two levels to increase the attack 1 DC, so 5 levels results in an increase of 2 DC and one CV with no end cost increase.  

On 3/2/2018 at 5:05 AM, g3taso said:

How much damage do you expect these objects of opportunity to usually  cause and what would the damage range be?

On 3/14/2018 at 8:12 PM, Greywind said:

Except with a spread Blast unless you slap other advantages on it he would have hit the hostages, too.

I'm not nitpicking fine details. Rather, I'm showing they can be as valid as Hyper-Man's since Hero System allows the same concept of an attack to be built a multitudinous number of ways. However, I think we're slowly moving away from g3taso question.