Runequest

steph

Hello, being a player since the 90s, I tried several games.

But lately for the first time I watched runequest.

I would love to read your opinions on the game, its strengths and weaknesses. For my part the hit points on the hit location seduce me.

Steph

9 hours ago, steph said:

Hello, being a player since the 90s, I tried several games.

But lately for the first time I watched runequest.

I would love to read your opinions on the game, its strengths and weaknesses. For my part the hit points on the hit location seduce me.

Steph

I considered it one of the greatest role playing systems ever devised, even before learning it could be used for seduction.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says Lucius is still a little unclear on how it would be used for that purpose but is definitely intrigued.....

I did not like it compared to 2nd edition by Chaosium
and neither did those I played 2nd ed with and got rid of it shortly there after

how many adventures and supplements where done for it is usually a good indicator
IIRC Avalon Hill went into near hibernation   in the early 90's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Hill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuneQuest

13 hours ago, Beast said:

I did not like it compared to 2nd edition by Chaosium
and neither did those I played 2nd ed with and got rid of it shortly there after

how many adventures and supplements where done for it is usually a good indicator
IIRC Avalon Hill went into near hibernation   in the early 90's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_Hill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RuneQuest

I played a wonderful Runequest game (not sure which edition) via Hero Central back in the day.  Later we did some "live" gaming via Fantasy Grounds, when HC started having problems.  The system took some getting used to, but I came to enjoy it tremendously.  The novelty of skills improving through use was something I hadn't seen since Wasteland.  I also found the setting rich and captivating.

Now, a string of bad dice rolls could give your character a really bad (if interesting to read) day.  I remember Ragnar the barbarian rolling to clean some rabbits he'd snared.  Thanks to a couple of bad critical failures, he badly injured his own hand and had to call on the services of the party's healer.

I think 3rd edition got a bit too fiddly.  They did still publish some excellent scenario packs.  I think reading the third edition rules would not draw you into the system as they also sought to divorce it from Glorantha which made some of the game design decisions feel a bit contrived whereas in the context of Glorantha, those design decisions made real sense.

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:57 AM, Doc Democracy said:

I think 3rd edition got a bit too fiddly.  They did still publish some excellent scenario packs.  I think reading the third edition rules would not draw you into the system as they also sought to divorce it from Glorantha which made some of the game design decisions feel a bit contrived whereas in the context of Glorantha, those design decisions made real sense.

I think the idea that "reading the rules" as a way to draw you into the game is really interesting. It is what defines, in many ways, the last decade and a half plus of indie game development. The idea of rules built to specifically evoke a particular setting and expected SIS experience was probably on the way out by the mid '80s as the move toward 'generic system rules" was underway. (Of course, nobody was really thinking about game development that way, back then.)

My problem is that I hate reading rules, they put me to sleep and even when they don't my brain stops listening to what my eyes are sending.  I need to use rules as a reference or be tricked into enjoying a story where the rules are in the background, unobtrusively, seeping in there to explain how the things in the story work.  I have a very lazy, selfish brain...  :-(

2 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

My problem is that I hate reading rules, they put me to sleep and even when they don't my brain stops listening to what my eyes are sending.  I need to use rules as a reference or be tricked into enjoying a story where the rules are in the background, unobtrusively, seeping in there to explain how the things in the story work.  I have a very lazy, selfish brain...  :-(

You basically described me, completely. Nothing I hate worse than reading an instruction manual. A game should inspire and invoke a desire to play, to experience... and the rules flow from that. I'll probably never get to play Polaris, but every time I read it, I want to.