GM review requested. Character for Fantasy Hero

Pizza Man

Pizza Man here. I think it has been maybe 5 years since I was last on these boards. I installed a new computer and and found I saved Hero Maker to my portable hard drive (which does not like Windows 10). So I spent a day making a fantasy summoner.  Originally I was going t have Killian summon from modern day earth, but that was way to overpowered to summon WWII soldiers with hand carried weapons.

I set this one up on the basis of a 45 active point power limit. I only broke once that with the summon soldiers at 46 points. I really don't think you can make a summoner with those restrictions. Everything in the grimmore  is way more expensive. I still think the giant crab is the best bang for the buck with summoned creatures.  I also used the magic system that divides the real cost of spells by 3.

Frankly, I don't think a GM will allow this character...its way too much drama. Every summoning spell inconveniences someone on a particular alternate dimension.  Or at least a GM will eventually kill him. He can summon a kings feast, his queen and  kill his guards...those are acts of war! Anyways I would love the feedback. It's OK to be brutal, that's why I'm posting this. I just want to see what a GM would do if I submitted this for a game. I would also want to know what the consequences would be if you allowed Killian into the game - would you treat this as just another form of magic?

Killian the Red

Characteristics

10 STR

14 DEX 8

15 CON 5

18 INT 8

10 EGO

20 PRE 10

3 SPD 10…………..4/8/12

5 OCV 10

5 DCV 10

3 OMCV

3 DMCV

2 PD …………………….10 (r8)

2ED………………………10 (r8)

8 REC 4

20 END

10 BODY

25 STUN

12 Running

4 Swimming

4 Leaping

Total Characteristics 68

Powers

Cost 4……..END 0.  Summoner's Amulet :  Power Defense (10 points) (10 Active Points); OAF (-1), Perceivable (Amulet detects as Magic; -1/2)

Cost 16…….END 0. Summoners Amulet:  Endurance Reserve  (80 END, 12 REC) Reserve:  (21 Active Points); OAF (-1), Perceivable (Amulet detects as magic; -1/2)

Cost 2………END 0. Summoner’s Amulet: Nightvision (OAF perceivable)

Cost 1……….END 0. Life Support  (Longevity: 200 Years)

Cost 5………..END 0. Magesight. Detect Magic: 

Spells: Summoning

Cost 5………..END 5. Summon Soldiers (two) (chainmail, Longsword and Med Shield):  Summon 2 86-point Human males (page 464 FH).

46 active points  (Custom Adder), Slavishly Devoted (+1) (16 Active Points); OAF Mirror (Focus ; -1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Cost 3…………End 8. Summon Beautiful Women (two) (based on Noble FH page 461):  Summon (40 active points) 2 75-point Humanoid (Humans Elves, Half elves) all with striking appearance , Slavishly Devoted (+1) (16 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), -1 1/4), OAF Mirror (-1), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

Cost 5………..END 4. Dispell Summoned Creature/Items 4 END/Phase:  Dispel 45 active points Summoned creatures/items back to their plane of existence 10d6, Custom Adder, , Constant (+1/2) (18 Active Points); OAF Mirror (-1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Cost  4……….END4. Summon the Kraken. (tentacles errupt from the ground to entrap the victim):  Entangle 37 active points 3d6, 3 PD/3 ED, Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1/4) ; OIF (Staff; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Can Be Dispelled (-1/4)

Cost 3…….3 END to activate:  Summon Protective Aura.   Resistant Protection 24 active points (8 PD/8 ED) ; OIF (Focus Staff; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Cost 2……..END 3. Summon Good Food and Drink (along with plates and goblets) Major Transform (30 active points) 2d6 . The Summoner steals hot good food from an alternate dimension. it is always tasty and never spoiled or poisoned., (Healed back by digestion), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2); OAF (-1), All Or Nothing (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Summoning skill; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

Necromantic Spells  Skill roll 17 (all white with golden sparkles, very pretty)

Cost 3……..END 3. Magic Missile  30 active points:  Drain BODY 3d6. OIF (Staff; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Beam (-1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4)

Cost 4……..END 4. Sleep  (no incantations) 40 active points:  Drain STUN 4d6, (13 Active Points); OIF (Staff; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Beam (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Can Be Deflected (-1/4)

Cost 4……….END 3. Enlightened Retribution 35 active points:  Drain BODY  2d6, , Area Of Effect (15m Radius; +3/4) (12 Active Points); Requires A Roll (Requires a magic skill roll; -1/2), OIF Staff (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)

General Arcanist Spells  Skill roll 15

Cost 3……….END 1. Enchant Item (useful for staves and mirrors):  Major  Transform 1d6 (makes an item enchantable (detects as magic). 10 active points, Healed with disenchanting magic. 

Total powers, 64 points

SKILLS

7 Magic skill: Summoning:  Power 13-

7 Magic skill: Necromancy:  Power:  His Drain spells come from here 17-with CSLs

3 General Arcanist spells:  Power 13-

3 Spell inventor:  Inventor 13-

3 Stealth 12-

1 WF:  Clubs, Staffs

1 Literacy

2 Everborne common tongue:  Language (basic conversation; literate)

2 World of Everborne (the other dimensional world he summons from):  KS 13-

6 +2 CSLs with Necromancy attack spells:  +2 with a small group of attacks

3 Bureaucratics 13-

2 KS campaign world geography and people

2 KS campaign world Magic theory and structure

Total Skills n stuff: 43

175 points total

Matching Complications 50

5 Distinctive Features: Detects as Magic (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses Magesight/detect magic)

(0) Distinctive Features: Magic Spells, Incantations, and Gestures are not recognizable as belonging to any recognized school of magic. (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Uncommonly-Used Senses)

10 Psychological Complication: Greedy and Self Centered: (Common; Moderate)

15 Psychological Complication Curiosity/Fascination about Magic: (Common; Strong)

10 Vulnerability: Summoner takes 1 ½ times stun from Clerical attack spells (Common)

(0) Hunted:  Hunted by agents of various powers in Everborne (alternate dimension) Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

Background/History

Myron Bellweather was born into a long line of Bureaucrats pushing paper for the king. At 16, he followed his father's footsteps into a state position. Myron was bored with his entry level position. He grew up reading adventure stories and he haunted old book stores for adventurer's journals. When an opening came for a position on the frontier, Myron leapt at the chance.

On his 18th birthday, Myron took a holiday and explored some nearby ruins. The flagstones gave way and Myron fell into a forgotten room. Inside was a leather bound book, an amulet, and a small pile of gold. Myron had found treasure, just like adventurers!

The book was not a book of spells, but rather a book of magic theory. Reading the old tome, Myron gained his first skill with magic. Myron ended up a prodigy. He was able to write a few spells just with the instructions from the book. As familiar as her is with the book, he is always able to stumble upon, something new...like the book is adding content as he grows in power.

Using the gold, Myron quit his job and supported himself for a year writing his own book of spells. He has sold copies to a number of individuals, including a necromancer who taught him 3 spells in exchange. Myron couldn't help but rewrite the necromancy spells, they were black and left a feeling of unease.  Now those spells are white with golden sparkles and feel happy.

About 12 people have purchased Myron's book and one unsigned copy has even found its way into a university - most of the freshman class seems to have adopted one particular spell. Myron used the funds he received to gain access to even more magic. He now has longevity - up to 200 years. At 19, Myron feels he is now ready to become an adventurer!

Myron has since changed his name, and has started hanging out in taverns trying to hook up with adventurers. He now calls himself Killian the Red.

Personality/Motivation

Myron THINKS he is a nice guy. he will aid the poor and down trodden...of this world. But he has no care for his summoned servants from Everborne, he is not even sure they are real. in DnD terms, Myron is Chaotic Neutral. He just acts like he is Neutral Good.

Basically Myron is a sheltered Bureaucrat finally given a chance at a real life. His skills are low but his heart is really into the adventuring life.

"You can call me Killian. Killian the Red!"

"No, that's not a necromancy spell. It's called, 'Magic Missile' you silly paladin."

Powers/Tactics

Myron will always summon a pair of soldiers to protect himself. His attacks are all necromantic, but look white with gold sparkles, they leave a feeling of happiness and hope, He is always tinkering with his spells so they will always look different from the original.

Campaign Use

The summoning spells are new to the campaign world. They summon people and monsters from the world of everborne. People summoned are always slavishly obedient, and have no memory when they are sent back. Those who die in his service return dead. EVERY summoning spell inconveniences people in the world of Everborne. i.e. the Resistance spell turns off a similar spell in Everborne. It is only a matter of time (a year or ten) before a cleric begins to investigate and discovers an extraplanar connection...

In fact, the book and amulet were placed there by a trickster/chaos deity, in hopes of starting intradimensional conflict. And it is already beginning to be noticed in the world of Everborne. The GM should assign a 0 point hunted to each summoner as agents and spies are sent across dimensions.

Appearance

Myron is a rather handsome fellow. He wears a red robe with white trim.  His gloves/pants are white, and boots are black. He sports a red three pointed hat like the colonials did. He kinda looks like a redcoat, only the coat is as long as a trench coat/robe.

I don't see any specific problems with the character as built, but the system is a bit odd and not represented by the builds (or, at least requires a lot of world rules that say things happen that weren't bought).  For instance, summoning a specific exact person requires an advantage built into the summoning:

Specific Being (+1): A Summon power with this Advantage can Summon a specific individual, whether that individual is defined generically (the King of Valdoria) or by name (King Arkon of Valdoria).

So he can't summon his queen, he can summon generic hot girl.  Not guards of the king, but soldiers from somewhere.  Also, nothing about summoning necessarily erases memory, so either that's a house rule or you're missing a transform or mind control of some sort to force that effect.

Well, I thought there would be more objections. He is kind of an experiment. 

To clarify, Killian cannot summon specific people...just generic soldiers or hot chicky babes. Its all pot luck and he has an entire world to abuse. Still its only a matter of time before someone important gets called up.

---and you are right , Killian cannot erase memories...

I'll be making some changes this weeked. Thank you for the feedback!

Not sure I understand your pricing.  I see 2 86 point soldiers as 86/5 = 17 points, +5 for doubling the number = 22 x 2 for adding Slavishly Loyal = 44 AP.  OAF, Requires a Roll, Gestures and Incantations makes it 1/3 = 15, divide by 3 for a final cost of 5

We get the same result, but some of the figures in your writeup seem off to me.  I guess 18 could be more appropriate as the cost for "over 85 and less than 91", and the end result is unchanged anyway.

Requires a Skill Roll at -1/2 means he subtracts 1/10 of the AP so his Summon works on a 9- (44/10 = 4; 13 - 4 = 9).  That's a 37.5% chance of success.

As a GM, my acceptance of the back story would depend on whether it is consistent with the game world's magic system and cosmology, and whether I want the campaign to eventually turn to this other world's efforts to stop these summoning issues. 

How do you envision the character's story playing out?  It seems like his days will be numbered if an entire world is arrayed against him, especially when they will be concerned with his murder of their sons and rape of their daughters.  Is the rest of the group going to be OK incorporating such moral issues into the game? 

To me, any issues with the build are  not mechanical, but whether they breach the theme and/or tone of the game, the gaming group's social contract, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 5:02 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

Not sure I understand your pricing.  I see 2 86 point soldiers as 86/5 = 17 points, +5 for doubling the number = 22 x 2 for adding Slavishly Loyal = 44 AP.  OAF, Requires a Roll, Gestures and Incantations makes it 1/3 = 15, divide by 3 for a final cost of 5

We get the same result, but some of the figures in your writeup seem off to me.  I guess 18 could be more appropriate as the cost for "over 85 and less than 91", and the end result is unchanged anyway.

Requires a Skill Roll at -1/2 means he subtracts 1/10 of the AP so his Summon works on a 9- (44/10 = 4; 13 - 4 = 9).  That's a 37.5% chance of success.

As a GM, my acceptance of the back story would depend on whether it is consistent with the game world's magic system and cosmology, and whether I want the campaign to eventually turn to this other world's efforts to stop these summoning issues. 

How do you envision the character's story playing out?  It seems like his days will be numbered if an entire world is arrayed against him, especially when they will be concerned with his murder of their sons and rape of their daughters.  Is the rest of the group going to be OK incorporating such moral issues into the game? 

To me, any issues with the build are  not mechanical, but whether they breach the theme and/or tone of the game, the gaming group's social contract, etc.

You are right, This is more a literary character than a player character.