"My wings are like a shield of steel."

Ragitsu

10 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

What is the simplest way to represent winged Flight that can transform into directional PD/ED with accompanying drawbacks (such as "cannot use Flight while defending with super-tough wings")?

A Multipower with two slots, one for Flight and one for Resistant Defense.

On 06/03/2018 at 1:03 AM, Ragitsu said:

What is the simplest way to represent winged Flight that can transform into directional PD/ED with accompanying drawbacks (such as "cannot use Flight while defending with super-tough wings")?

Hero does not really do 'directional', but the ideas above are good.  I like the 'Missile Deflection' suggestion.  One other issue is that if they are wings of steel, you won't be able to see through them while you are using them for defence, so there's that...

You can drive yourself crazy with exceptions but steel wings would be poor at protecting against, for example, electricity.

You might be able (depending on where the attack comes from) to keep flying whilst using your wings for defence.

If your wings are restrainable then then defences they provide should be too.

I would probably go with a multipower, if only so that the flight could be bought as a multi slot (do we still call them that?) and you could have enough reserve points to maintain some flight when defending.

To create the "full" effect of wings (that also act as a defence) I think the power needs to be broken down bit more. 

Power One: First, wings attach at the characters back, so his/her back should always have some Resistant Defence, even when flying, because any attack that hits him from behind, whether just walking down the street with his wings folded up behind him, or when flying, still has a chance to hit the wings. So that should be a "separate" power. 

Power Two: Flight

Power Three: Then you have the "full protection mode" when he/she wraps the wings in front of themselves to protect from all attacks. This is a different build of either Resistant Protection (with the adder "protects carried items") and maybe an Activation Roll or other Limitation, or it could also be built as a Barrier (with Englobing and other Limitations and Advantages). This is the power that would have the Lockout Limitation on it, not Flight, as when the character is wrapped up or englobed in the wings, he can't use them for anything else, and it also possibly restricts other aspects of the character (maybe can't see out? Maybe cant move at full movement speed (only walk, not run), etc...).

Of course, maybe the wings being so tough/Defensive means they should be build as their on Power Framework build around those defensive abilities. For example, Then can wrap around the character (as described above), but the character could also stretch out one wing and use it to shield another character (which would be a different ability, possibly Deflection), and then maybe the Wings can be used for other effects like pushing things over or knocking things out of the way, so maybe they should be built as Extra Limbs, or a heavily limited version of Telekinesis. 

If you do add in all these different applications of the wings, then building them as a Barrier with the Variable Advantages Advantage might be the best way to go. That way the Wings could be manipulated to cover different areas and have different effects as the character desires. 

Powers Two & Three could maybe be built in a power framework, but the frame work shouldn't include the first power of resistant protection for the character's back, which, in a sense, is always on. 

image.png.a91553cc54c947e211de0d45c03ed96f.png

First of all, I know that the KBR should not be in a framework, but it seems to fit well and is not unbalancing  so I would seek GM permission.  Anyway, you could activate the Fly and go fast, or the fly and missile deflect and approach more cautiously or the fly and resistant defence and approach even more cautiously (or just stay hovering in the air...).  I might even increase the active points to 60 and reduce the KBR to 10 so you could turn off the flight completely and go full defensive.

You could add 'Swan Strike' and use the wings as a weapon - oh so much you could do.

I have not added much subtlety because:

1. I'm not sure it is needed and

2. This will be a superhero game, so reality is not necessary

I have not included 'restrainable as flight stops if you are grabbed or entangled anyway so it would not apply.

The problem is that we have a rule that makes sense for game balance, otherwise  it would be mad to grab a flier as they are likely to eventually break free and you will fall, which is one of the biggest damage hits you can take in Hero in most games.  I agree that it makes no 'real' sense.  What is the alternative though?

From 6e2 page 26:

Once he’s in position, use the basic “stopping moving objects” rules, above, to determine if he can get a hold on the object and start to slow it down. Typically, a character needs to have an appropriate Movement Power to stop a resisting object — a superhero who lacks Flight usually can’t Grab a flying object and use his STR to slow it down, since he has no way to counter its forward momentum. The GM may waive this rule in appropriate circumstances.

Its a pretty rare circumstance that a non-flying brick grabs a flying-brick. That's probably the reason Steve didn't spell out the common sense ruling for this case in the books. Regardless, the rule above should override the general grab vs movement rules which are not superpower centric - they usually assume normal characters.