First 6e Game (After a LONG HERO Hiatus...)!

Trechriron10

I cannot recount the last time I fired up my HERO brain and counted body... since the 5er days... :shock:  Father, it's been 15 years since my last HERO session...

Tonight I introduced my regular Sunday group to HERO 6e! We are starting with the Fantasy Complete for a handful of sessions (using the pre-gens and adventure/setting from FHC). After a few sessions we will create new characters and adventure for a few more sessions!

Eventually, we are shifting to a sci-fi setting of my own creation for (what I intend/hope) will be a long-term campaign. I wanted us to get familiar before we jumped right in.

I was touching up the characters to give them some equipment using Hero Designer, and I wanted the Elf Bard to have some Elven Chainmail. I grabbed the regular chain in the prefabs, changed the weight from 'full mass' to 'half mass' and viola! Magic armor. In a couple clicks.

I like the Half-Elf Warrior Mage build! That is an ugly contender.  I picked out my favorite 8 characters that I want to use for some convention games this year. I decided the Lizard-Folk Shaman knows how to turn into a giant snake (of several varieties) or a velociraptor (as a revered animal of his clan! - yes, he has a skull from one...). I just copied out the pages from the Bestiary for quick reference. This group didn't pick the shaman... :cry:. They went with Human Barbarian, Elf Bard, Sprite Druid, the Half-Elf Warrior-Mage, and I tossed in the Human archer as an NPC.

I'm a little rusty... :D but it was fun and I'm certain this group will pick it up fast.  I missed the speed chart. Seriously, I love how speed works. I also missed all the cool maneuvers and the in-play flexibility. One of the crew was looking through the book and exclaimed "you can use another character as a weapon"! I think he's sold. A couple of the GURPS people are still on the fence, but I'll win 'em over.

Long live the speed chart! (I love it too)

Winning over GURPS players can be challenging. You have to somehow detach them from their realism bias and get them to fully embrace Hero's cinematic bias instead. In the past, I found it difficult to get some GURPS players to realize that, for instance, immunity to aging shouldn't be a 25-pt power unless the effects of aging is an important part of the campaign (which it has never been in the 35+ years I've been using the Hero System).

On 3/12/2018 at 1:10 PM, zslane said:

Long live the speed chart! (I love it too)

Winning over GURPS players can be challenging. You have to somehow detach them from their realism bias and get them to fully embrace Hero's cinematic bias instead. In the past, I found it difficult to get some GURPS players to realize that, for instance, immunity to aging shouldn't be a 25-pt power unless the effects of aging is an important part of the campaign (which it has never been in the 35+ years I've been using the Hero System).

Is immune to aging really 25 points in GURPs?  (I haven't played GURPs in many years, and never played it a lot even then)

• 5 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 2:30 PM, C-Note said:

I've been running a (very) infrequent Fantasy Hero 6E campaign on Roll20, set in the Hyborian Kingdoms.  I haven't played a live session in about 25 years. :(

On Roll20.net? How?!?!? Please show me, I have been on Rol20 for three or four years, but missint the opportunity to play in or run a Hero based game (either Champions, or Fantasy Hero, probably Fantasy Hero).   Introducing my usual players to the Hero System may be easier than using Hero on Roll20.  My familiarity is 4th edition, because I still have the books.

15 hours ago, C-Note said:

Let me clarify.  I had not played for about 20 years until discovering Roll20.  Because of schedule issues, we only play about 2-3 times per year.

Still, I have been on Roll20.net for about 3-4 years and never saw anyhero system, other than the test game. Other than that test environment, How is it done on Rol20, these days?

25 minutes ago, C-Note said:

That's because I have the game marked Private, not discoverable.  All my maps are set to hexes rather than the default squares.  I have a few basic scripts like Hit Location and Stun Multipliers.

Oh, I don't disagree with the privacy.  Just that there is not a set set of scripts and character sheet apps on roll20.net for a prospective GM to run Hero. I think it's very important for the longer term survival of Herosystem for it to be accessable and reasonably equipped on Rol20. Not looking to join your game, but to run one.  Having seen all of the  support tht Pathfinder and D&D5e have, I can see why they are they are the  domiant games on that platform.  That's all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2018 at 9:44 PM, zslane said:

Actually, Unaging in GURPS is 15 points. LS: Immune to Aging in Hero is 3 points. I just don't see what it is about not aging in GURPS that makes it 5x more valuable than in Hero.

In a fantasy setting you can have spells or monsters that age the character.