Scrolls & Potions

Legendsmiths

Since these are consumed, I'd rather not have people pay points for them. However, I am willing to have people pay coin, either to buy them outright or to buy the materials to create them.

For enchanters I generally require side effects on all enchantments based on the Real Points of the target item (ignoring Independant). The side effects (2x Real Points in Active Points) are a mana drain, recovery period is a day, AND an END drain (if mana and END are separate). This is for abilities beyond the base item.

So, a +1 OCV/+1 DC sword is 10 Active Points, but probably 5 Real Points, which results in 20 Active Points of Side Effects, or a 1d6 Drain on Mana and END, recovering 5 CP per day.

Enchanters can use magical materials (essence nodes, magical organs from creatures, etc.) as power defense against this drain.

I was thinking that scrolls/potions should cost in coin:

Real * 2^(Real/3), or something like that.

Now that IS an interesting approach. Scroll and potion making spells can have mandatory side effects that lessen the mage's abilities for days.

That allows the GM to control the scroll and potion count by tempo rather than quantity of materials (which can get arbitrary and start odd escalations with the characters).

Neato!

-DG

I'm working on a more detailed look at it and will post an update in the future.

Right now I'm thinking that you use that formula, but then crafting time is hours for scrolls, days for potions, and weeks as items. The fade rate for the drain matches the time requirement, which makes crafting magic items a draining approach.

I use real points because I feel that limited items should be easier to make than non-limited items, which active points won't capture.