Explain This, Comics Guys!! Podcast

Hey all! Long time no see! Just wanted to drop in and let people know that my new comic book history podcast, Explain This, Comics Guys!! began last week with its very first episode, about the history of the Comics Code Authority and the Code itself. New episodes will drop every other week - we've got six in the can already so we have some margin in case of illness, travel or whatever. You can check it out here:  https://explainthis.podbean.com/  Thanks! dw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back again with our fourth episode, "History of DC Comics Part II". This one takes us from the introduction of Batman all the way up to Showcase #4 and Barry Allen ushering in the Silver Age. Here's that link again: https://explainthis.podbean.com/

And we're passing the virtual hat over here: www.patreon.com/ExplainThis_ComicsGuys

Thanks for listening! dw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Explain This, Comics Guys!! returns with our sixth spectacular episode, picking up the History of DC with the Silver Age debut of Barry Allen and carrying through into the early 80s!! Don't be the last kid on your block to be in on the hippest podcast in town. Swing on over to listen here: https://explainthis.podbean.com/  and please consider helping helping out victims of the DC Implosion here: https://www.patreon.com/ExplainThis_ComicsGuys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I never was able to like podcasts because every single one I tried was a disjointed, rambling unplanned mess.  The host/speakers too fond of their own voices and telling unexplained in jokes and other garbage to a degree that they were torture rather than entertaining or informative.

I noticed this thread a few days ago and when I didn't have a book to listen to on my commute I decided to give it a try. 

You may have single-handedly brought podcasts into my view as something useful and enjoyable. 

There are only two episodes left and I will have listened to them all.  Only Captains Marvel and Siegel and Shuster remain. 

As for the content.  I really appreciate the way it was presented and how well it flowed. 

Thank you very much for an outstanding series.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:21 PM, mattingly said:

Great history on Siegel and Shuster.

I'd love to hear a similar treatment on Ditko.

Definitely on the list - we already have a Kirby one recorded but not yet released, and Ditko will get one soon. I'm recording parts 3 and 4 of Marvel's history tomorrow, so the whole bullpen era will get a bit of time in 3 (it took 2 full eps just to get to Fantastic Four #1!) dw 

On 9/30/2020 at 2:00 PM, Darren Watts said:

Look! Over at Explain This!! It's two nerds, it's a podcast, it's Supergirl!!  https://explainthis.podbean.com/  

Another great cast. 

You should give classes on how to podcast.  Skipping live play podcasts (Which I have no interest in) the so called RPG podcasts I have listened to recently are embarrassingly painful. 

I have no idea of how much time it takes to prepare and produce this podcast, but I really wish you'd also do one on RPGs.

• 2 weeks later...

Excelsior, True Believers! Explain This, Comics Guys!! returns with the best comics podcast since old Bill Shakespeare hung up his headphones! Join us for part one of the History of Marvel Comics!!! https://explainthis.podbean.com/

On 10/2/2020 at 12:05 PM, Spence said:

Another great cast. 

You should give classes on how to podcast.  Skipping live play podcasts (Which I have no interest in) the so called RPG podcasts I have listened to recently are embarrassingly painful. 

I have no idea of how much time it takes to prepare and produce this podcast, but I really wish you'd also do one on RPGs.

Very kind, Spence! We've talked about doing a game one someday once we feel like Explain This is on solid ground, but as you say it's pretty time-consuming to do all the research, scripting and recording and we're not making much on it yet. Thank the current pandemic for us having the spare time at all to try this out! dw

And another great episode.

I'm just a guy that has listened to Explain This on my commute and not any kind of expert, but I'd say it is on pretty solid ground. 

I love to see what you could do with a series abut various RPG's.  I can easily imagine an informative show about various companies and their histories in developing RPG's.  But what I'd really like to see is a show that is actually about the various games.  I just got done suffering through yet another "RPG Podcast" that supposedly discussed one of the newer RPG's out.  All I was able to glean from 47 minutes of wasted life was they thought it was "hard" and they didn't really "have fun."  Beyond that I couldn't tell you anything about the game, the game mechanics or even what dice if any are used.  How is that possible?  Oh, but most importantly, they think their cats antics are hilarious.......

But back to your show.  The only thing I think would make them better would be if they came out faster :sneaky:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...