Explain This, Comics Guys!! Podcast

On 2/24/2021 at 10:16 AM, Darren Watts said:

OK, well, this episode is well behind the others in listens after a week. Does everybody hate Image? Are you tired of company dramas? Or was it just a rough week? dw

Just finished it this morning on the my morning commute.

My only issue is that I can finish them at a faster rate that you are making them :nonp:

Another great show and keep them coming.

All gags aside, I'd need a very-active partner in any rpg podcast, simply because I detest D&D-style fantasy as a genre and have zero interest in the products for it, so my awareness of the industry beyond the most basic stuff would not include what, 80-something percent of the marketplace? Unless our specific focus was "So D&D's not for you, what other rpgs are out there?" which would be, to say the least, a challenge to find an audience...   dw

Edited by Darren Watts

On 3/3/2021 at 3:26 PM, Darren Watts said:

All gags aside, I'd need a very-active partner in any rpg podcast, simply because I detest D&D-style fantasy as a genre and have zero interest in the products for it, so my awareness of the industry beyond the most basic stuff would not include what, 80-something percent of the marketplace? Unless our specific focus was "So D&D's not for you, what other rpgs are out there?" which would be, to say the least, a challenge to find an audience...   dw

Well, there are a LOT of none sword swingers out there these days. 

One of my major issues with any of the so called RPG Review Podcasts is they don't actually review anything. 

After they get done blathering all you really know is that they liked it or they did not.  One of the recent ones I suffered through was for Star Trek Adventures by Modiphious.  After about 45 minutes I will never get back I gained the following information.

It was about role playing Star Trek

Be sure to give to their Patron

It was a science fiction game

It assumed that you knew what Star Trek was, which was bad.

The game did not have much combat

They didn't like it because it was hard to decide what to do

It was HARD.

It never mention the actual game system or any descriptions of how the game played.

I have never been a supported of government bureaucracy, but I would support public flogging if a Podcast lies about its subject. 

Gahhhhh!!!!

But anyway, Image Part 2 was great and engaging.  Made my commute fly by.  6 star's out of 5 :celebrate

Glad you liked it! Upcoming topics include "comic book time" and topical references (or, what war precisely did Tony Stark sell weapons for?), and our April Fool's Day special on the world of Hostess ads. We'll be recording a deep dive into the career of Steve Ditko in the next week or two as well, in which he is given appropriate credit for several things people don't remember he invented as well as puzzled shrugs about all the Objectivism malarkey.  dw

I always figured Superman was just slow aging, so no explanation was needed for him but Batman yeah, definitely a problem with him and the Robins.  And I remember being annoyed that Kitty Pryde was 13½ for 10 years straight.  All of the X-Men are in a weird nebulous late teen/early 20 phantom zone for decades.  And yeah Franklin has been a problem forever, mostly because him growing up means Sue Storm gets older and becomes middle age mom, plus he's so incredibly powerful nobody wants to unleash him fully.

I also thought Iron Man had always been in Vietnam, I guess the Korean War explanation sort of makes sense?  But his first comic was right in the middle of the French Indochina war and he could have easily been selling weapons in that war, without needing changes in continuity.

The concept of a comic book universe where time passes at a real rate, with the assumption that you will not keep characters around forever and will replace them.  In the modern comic book era where characters keep being rebooted with a different person to kick up sales or satisfying some political desire it makes sense to have them just get "too old for this @(*#" and retire.  Plus then you get fun stories of passing on the torch and teaching a new version, old disgruntled guys coming back because the new guy is doing it all wrong, etc.

9 hours ago, BigJackBrass said:

Nothing relevant to the current episode, but thanks for adding to this thread which finally, after months of blindly overlooking it, popped up and caught my attention. Listened to the first episode and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I had resigned myself to never ever listening to another Podcast because literally everyone of the ones I had tried were utter garbage.  So called reviews that consisted of inane babble and never seems to actually talk about the advertised subject.   For game review casts the most detailed "review" was usually "Uuuuh IT HARD.  ME NO LIKE.  Reading is hard".

Then I saw this mentioned here and did have an audio book for my commute, so I was all "what the heck, I'll try it".  I wasn't even that interested in the subject because I haven't really read many comics since they stopped writing much in the early 90's.

But the show was not just well done, but really engaging.  They talked about the actual subject!  I have listened to every cast they put out.

I have renewed my search for a RPG related Podcast that reviews and discusses game systems and the running of adventures/campaigns by people that actually understand how to put out information and realize that literally no one on the planet cares about their cat. 

A Podcast can be good.  I have heard one.

A good TTRPG Podcast just has to exist out there, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Spence said:

I had resigned myself to never ever listening to another Podcast because literally everyone of the ones I had tried were utter garbage.  So called reviews that consisted of inane babble and never seems to actually talk about the advertised subject.   For game review casts the most detailed "review" was usually "Uuuuh IT HARD.  ME NO LIKE.  Reading is hard".

If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Casually Comics channel on Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

So the upcoming episode of Explain This, "Hawkman," will be double-sized at 86 minutes. We originally planned to cut it in two but decided it was such a clusterf*ck that listeners should be able to just rewind when we're like "And then Fel Andar reappears in the story..." Wait, which dumb idea was he again? So, you're welcome, comics fans!! dw