Explain This, Comics Guys!! Podcast

Again, enjoyed the Hawkman episode.  He's just never worked for me as a character, but the Golden Age version actually is really interesting and I can imagine all kinds of stories for that kind of character.  The Thanagarian one... not so much.  Gardner Fox is a pretty good writer, so I'm not surprised he created something interesting.

As for Hawkman's continuity problems... eh, that kind of thing never has bothered me that much.  Its not like comic books are some kind of historical document, and DC has always been all over the place.  I like continuity within a specific story but overall its fine with me if things don't add up perfectly in a line.  The current Dr Who concept seems excessively complicated and pointless for such a simple, streamlined character design.  Sometimes writers can get themselves written into a corner and go strange places.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Darren Watts said:

Hey all! Explain This, Comics Guys!! ignores the boundaries of time and space by putting up an extra-special early episode, about the early life and career of Steve Ditko! So web-sling over there and check it out!  https://explainthis.podbean.com/

Just got done with Hawkman Friday.  Looks like my Monday commute has some new ammunition :rockon:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey kids, comics!! Explain This, Comics Guys returns with the second part of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, with in-depth Explainings of John Walker, Flag-Smasher, the Barons Zemo and Sharon Carter!! Get your fix here: https://explainthis.podbean.com/ and help keep this nutty operation from having to turn to the Red Skull for funding here: www.patreon.com/ExplainThis_ComicsGuys

dw

On 5/13/2021 at 3:37 AM, mattingly said:

I didn't realize Black Widow also took the Infinity Formula.

Had to, she is a cold war era character (Russian supa-spy/Fem Fatale) so she would be way too old by now. They tried to replace Natalia several times, just to back track every time...

On 5/26/2021 at 1:05 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I always figured she was a low-end mutant with slightly enhanced agility and strength and longevity.

I am not Sure...but I believe that Nat was a product of the soviet super soldier effort, the "Red room" project was eugenics plus chemical/radio actives....???? Long time ago memories...

38 minutes ago, pinecone said:

I am not Sure...but I believe that Nat was a product of the soviet super soldier effort, the "Red room" project was eugenics plus chemical/radio actives....???? Long time ago memories...

I think we find out the MCU version of her story here.  I think we will find her entire family is enhanced. 

22 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

First place I ever heard about the "Red Room" was in the movies, no idea what they said in comics.  Its been a long time since I saw her OHOTMU entry

I remember that from the comics. For a while Cap was working as a super spy for Shield, and worked with Black Widow. They got close and shared back story...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I kinda liked the format for Winter Soldier, but it meant the first episode I kinda scrolled past a bunch as it were, having not seen the show.

As for Steve Ditko, artists and writers (trust me, being one) are generally strange people.  Sometimes the strange matches up well with what we are comfortable with, sometimes its a clash.  Ditko was a bit of a curmudgeon but I really have to admire his holding to his principles and find his Mr A stuff fascinating even though I am no Objectivist.  I mean, its not like nobody is preaching their own worldview and politics in comics today.

• 2 weeks later...

First place I ever saw them lock Natasha into her time period was this X-men edition, which I am pretty sure was before the storyline where they established the Red Room: Wolverine meets Cap in WW2 and both meet little Natasha as a girl.

s-l400.jpg

I always liked Black Widow, especially the Miller Daredevil version.  They wrote some terrific storylines for her in the past as well.

On 5/27/2021 at 4:31 PM, Spence said:

I think we find out the MCU version of her story here.  I think we will find her entire family is enhanced. 

That would be the eugenics part, though it might be a family of orphans, that came together while in the program...?

On 6/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I mean, its not like nobody is preaching their own worldview and politics in comics today.

I've found the major difference to be (in all entertainment media) that in the past the writer/artest/director/what'have'you understood that they were primarily in the entertainment business so they would make the product entertaining with a "wee dram" of self-righteousness.  Today it is all in your face self-righteous preaching with the entertainment part being an afterthought. 

It has become so bad I have begun to dislike them even when I agree with their message. 

We have a multitude of avenues if we want fiery sermons from the pulpit of self-righteousness.  But we are fast running out of simple entertainment.

I am really looking forward to Black Widow as a movie.  I have been since they announced it.  But I think someone needs to sit the cast down and tell them "shut up".  No one cares about your personal opinions.

But my guess is they can't help themselves and really can't comprehend that talking bad about a large portion of your target audience in favor of trying to cater to a tiny group that doesn't actually follow or buy products related to your movie isn't a good thing for your box office bottom line. 

Mr A was pretty long on preaching and short on entertainment as well, but that was what Ditko set out to do: explore his philosophy and ideas in a comic book setting with a character expressing them while dealing with issues.  I'm okay with that if that's what you set out to do with an original character.  If you want Preacherman to preach the gospel every comic, more power to you.  Just don't do it with, you know, Batman.  Because his purpose is to fight crime and fulfill wishes of people who cannot do it themselves.    Its a question of proper use of content and character.  Every time a comic book writer tries to make an established, beloved character into a soapbox, it tends to go badly because readers want to read that character for who they know them as, not what this new writer wants to pretzel them into.

22 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Mr A was pretty long on preaching and short on entertainment as well, but that was what Ditko set out to do: explore his philosophy and ideas in a comic book setting with a character expressing them while dealing with issues.  I'm okay with that if that's what you set out to do with an original character.  If you want Preacherman to preach the gospel every comic, more power to you.  Just don't do it with, you know, Batman.  Because his purpose is to fight crime and fulfill wishes of people who cannot do it themselves.    Its a question of proper use of content and character.  Every time a comic book writer tries to make an established, beloved character into a soapbox, it tends to go badly because readers want to read that character for who they know them as, not what this new writer wants to pretzel them into.

Exactly.