Explain This, Comics Guys!! Podcast

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Explain This, Comics Guys!! continues our history of Quality Comics with Part II, featuring the hilarity of Black Condor, Madame Fatal and the Red Bee as well as the debut of Kid Eternity!! Come support Michael the bee in his Superhero Sidekick Retirement Home over here: https://explainthis.podbean.com/

On 1/17/2022 at 8:43 PM, Logan.1179 said:

I just discovered the bats$%# world of Fletcher Hanks. Any chance of that appearing in a future show? 

Both Fox and Fiction House are on the list to get to as publishers, so he'd certainly turn up there. If you'd like us to dedicate a show just to him, back our Patreon and start telling us what to do!! dw

• 2 months later...

I just finished the Donna Troy episodes. 

Holy crap! I had heard for a long time that Donna had the worst continuity in comics, but I had no idea! I never really read the character, honestly, so I knew very little of this story. I never dreamed it would be that bad. Just amazing. 

6 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

I just finished the Donna Troy episodes. 

Holy crap! I had heard for a long time that Donna had the worst continuity in comics, but I had no idea! I never really read the character, honestly, so I knew very little of this story. I never dreamed it would be that bad. Just amazing. 

I thought her getting married to a non-super would be the worst thing that could possibly happen to the character. 

But DC was certainly determined to prove me wrong. 

Repeatedly.

• 2 months later...

Listened to the Moon Knight episode... I just have to facepalm at their missed opportunity of making Moon Knight into a monster hunter, a genre that makes millions now.

And yes, him being more like the Shadow was the best version of the character.  Very missed opportunity going with mystical Egyptian lost memory Moon Knight.

By the way, "sturm" just means Storm in German.  If you think that has some sinister connotations, remember Kirby's background.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed the Summers family storyline, and while things went kind of screwy, Byrne did come up with a good way of bringing back Jean Gray that wasn't lame or bizarre.  Basically Phoenix is Galactus, except she eats stars.  It works, although the storylines at the time were not the finest Claremont ever id for X-Men.  I strongly suspect he was being forced into Big Summer Event stuff that messed with the stories he wanted to tell.  Although honestly Claremont without Byrne was not as good as with.

I stopped reading Marvel and DC comics in the 90s, but the stuff you explain and describe happening sounds so awful, so badly conceived, and so worthless I am glad I missed it all.

• 3 months later...

Turns out Isis isn't in Black Adam, but... the girl who Isis was identified with has a mysterious necklace that is brought up prominently in the beginning then is forgotten.  So if they go with an Isis movie (likely) she'll show up and the magical metal necklace she has will manifest that part, probably.

Sadly, while Dr Fate is cool and Pierce Brosnan plays him really well, he has that very unfortunate movie thing where he's constantly taking his helmet off to show Pierce off.  I get it at one level (the helm possesses him) but its just distracting and not welcome.

The post-crisis Dr Fate was great stuff, then they did the new 52 thing with a guy that had a dagger and it just got stupid.

• 1 month later...

As people can probably tell from my many comments on this, I truly enjoyed and appreciated this podcast, and really looked forward to it.  Sadly with the passing of Darren Watts, there will be no new episodes being made, so I look forward sadly to the final recorded sections being released :(