Jump to content

What complications would Supergirl have other than vulnerability to Kryptonite?


Recommended Posts

  Well with a high Pre and Supergirl as a model it sounds like she’s very pretty. How about in addition to her villain Hunted, you add  a paparazzi style reporter who followed her around for a Watched.  Somebody always looking to get an embarrassing picture or up skirt shot of her flying away.   Kind of a new millennium version of Silver Age Lois Lane bugging Superman.
   With basically two secret ID’s this knob could be a real danger to her.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tjack said:

  Well with a high Pre and Supergirl as a model it sounds like she’s very pretty. How about in addition to her villain Hunted, you add  a paparazzi style reporter who followed her around for a Watched.  Somebody always looking to get an embarrassing picture or up skirt shot of her flying away.   Kind of a new millennium version of Silver Age Lois Lane bugging Superman.
   With basically two secret ID’s this knob could be a real danger to her.

 

Yes, she's even got a +1/+1d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters). That would be 100% appropriate. I have a similar character in another game who has exactly that for a hunted.  Except that in the game I am playing with Hope, virtually all good guy heroes have been vanished, leaving supervillains and Viper free to do their worst. Such a disadvantage is 'extremely' likely to be sufficient to blow her cover and get her or others killed, far more so than the points would be worth. I generally prefer to avoid too many hunteds in any case, often building characters with none at all. They are not just a problem for her, they are the same for all players and sometimes even the GM. Rules as written, if every player has a hunted, virtually every scenario will feature one or more of them. Non-combat hunteds can also derail the intended narrative flow of a game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Go meta with it:

 

Poor screenwriters!  Movies, TVs-- any documentary about her will feature the worst of all possible scripting!

 

:rofl:

 

Seriously, though; have you taken a hard look to see what psych lims might apply?  I like the reporter thing, but such a thing does add more work onto the GM.   Frinstance:  if you want to increase the odds I, as GM, will approve your character, consider not adding yet another NPC for me to manage.    :lol:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 A GM might just use it as a long term plot point.  Think of Lex Luthor being tired of the Daily Planet’s coverage of Superman and making sure accidents or bad calls from the Man of Steel all end up recorded by a well placed and well payed photog....Even if he has to create the incidents himself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Psych: Wants to believe the best of everyone (very common, moderate)

Psych: Overconfidence (very common, moderate)

Psych: Code of Honor, Personalized Kryptonian and Citizen of the Galaxy (common, strong)

Hunted: Anti-alien faction working within the government

Hunted: Any villainous Kryptonians or Daxamites that learn of her existence

Vulnerability: x1 1/2 effect from Strength drains

Phys: Didn't grow up on Earth, has some holes in knowledge (infrequently, barely) (5)

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pawsplay said:

Psych: Wants to believe the best of everyone (very common, moderate)

Psych: Overconfidence (very common, moderate)

Psych: Code of Honor, Personalized Kryptonian and Citizen of the Galaxy (common, strong)

Hunted: Anti-alien faction working within the government

Hunted: Any villainous Kryptonians or Daxamites that learn of her existence

Vulnerability: x1 1/2 effect from Strength drains

Phys: Didn't grow up on Earth, has some holes in knowledge (infrequently, barely) (5)

 

I like the first Psych and the Physical one. They really remind me of Silver Age Supergirl with a bit of Mary Marvel thrown in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Steve said:

 

Because it can't be overcome with an Ego Roll, like a psychological one can.

 

Caught me while I was editing my previous post.

 

That is a REALLY good reason for making it a Physical limitation.  I'd just never seen that particular "type" of lim built that way.  I've used it a few times and it never once occurred to me that the way I'd built it meant a simple, relatively speaking, Ego roll would "fix" it for that moment.

 

Learn something new every day . . . 

 

Thanks Steve!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

It feels to me like there's an obvious blind spot for "Knowledge Disadvantages" which are like PsyLims but involve knowing things and INT rolls to overcome. 

I think a case could be made that an INT roll MIGHT be allowed to overcome such a limitation, perhaps with some penalties, but in general this would likely be a GM adjudication. I’ve seen characters built with varying levels of this kind of complication/disadvantage.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 4:15 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Go meta with it:

 

Poor screenwriters!  Movies, TVs-- any documentary about her will feature the worst of all possible scripting!

 

:rofl:

 

In the same spirit, Soc Lim: CW 'Shipping. The character cannot have a stable romantic relationship. Character or SO fgeel they must break up to protect the other. Frequent misunderstandings and lies. "Just wants to be friends" with the person who adores her; then when she starts to reciprocate feelingsm the other person has moved on and is seeing someone else. Romantic rivals. Keeping secrets, usually stupid ones. The interactions with Secret ID should be obvious.

 

Dean Shomshak

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, PsiJudge McCabe said:

A susceptibility to magic, at least to the same degree as a normal human. For example, her super-strength wouldn't work for breaking out of enchanted bindings, and her mental defense is lower against mystics than against telepaths.

 

 

This.  In her old series, she faced off against the Enchantress.  Now Enchantress is nowhere near Supergirl's physical abilities, but her use of magic meant fighting her had to be indirect as a the enchantress could use her magic to confuse her, tie her up, mess with her senses, etc!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 2:26 PM, Panpiper said:

I'm working on a character that is very much an analog of Supergirl but in a Champions universe. I'm stuck looking for a good, thematic complication to give her. I am not trying to specifically replicate Supergirl, more looking for good ideas for another ten points.

 

Hope.pdf 204.19 kB · 16 downloads

Shockingly poor judgment, Phy. (11) (all the time)...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, Panpiper said:

 

I generally prefer to avoid too many hunteds in any case, often building characters with none at all. They are not just a problem for her, they are the same for all players and sometimes even the GM. Rules as written, if every player has a hunted, virtually every scenario will feature one or more of them. Non-combat hunteds can also derail the intended narrative flow of a game.

 

I GM mostly and I love the multiple Hunteds and non-combat Hunteds. They do totally derail everything and that's why I love them! It goes back to when I first started playing and I'd have a vague adventure idea and then everyone's Hunteds showed up.

 

Which reminds me: it bugs me when Hunteds are incorporated into the game in the "wrong way" (which is something I was guilty of when I first started). In my opinion, the wrong way is when you roll the Galloping Galooper's Hunteds and then plan around them: Okay, Green Dragon and Foxbat show up, so the characters have to stop them from robbing a bank. Wrong! (IMO) The plot should stay the same, e.g. some villains are robbing a bank, and Green Dragon and Foxbat also show up specifically to attack The Galloping Galooper.

 

But I digress. I should have one of those cards like The Joker to hand out on the bus: "I digress. A lot."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...