Is d6-1 in KAs really 10 points (2 DCs)?

Astromath

Question

In 6e1 242 Sidebar, the semiautomatic .45 handgun has an active cost of 34.  When I tried to duplicate that in Hero Designer, it came up with an active cost of 31 (25 x 1.25 = 31.25 rounded to 31).  This is where I have the problem.  I reverse engineered the active cost of the handgun and came up with an original cost of 27 for 2d6-1 (27 x 1.25 = 33.75 rounded to 34).

Now for the question:  Is the sidebar correct where d6-1 is +12 points (making 2d6-1 27 points)? or the main text of the power correct where 1 DC is +1 (5 points) and 2 DCs is 1/2d6 or 1d6-1 (10 points) (from table on page 462).

P.S.  Even the Equipment Guide uses +12 points for d6-1.

P.P.S.  This is an artifact from previous editions.

Opinion:  If each d6-1 is +12 points, then Hero Designer needs to be updated.  If not, then the published books need an errata on this.

EDIT:  6E2 98 Damage Class Table has 2d6-1 as 25 points.  Question still stands:  is 6E1 242 sidebar correct with 2d6-1 being 27 points (in order to get the active cost according to the sidebar)? or 6E2 98 DCT 2d6-1 is 25 points?

2 answers to this question

1d6 killing does an average of 3.5 Body.  Since 1d6 killing is considered 3 DCs, *one* of those DCs is going to get a bit more power than the others.  It's implicit in the DC structure.

I think it's simpler and more regular to use HD's method, because it provides one consistent, universal methodology.  ALWAYS work in DCs until the end, when you convert to dice.  Sometimes things are seriously messy...I'll carry fractional DCs until the end, myself.  Consider, say, 1d6 HKA, armor piercing.  I want to translate that into DCs...3DCs with 1/4 advantage is 3.75 DCs.  Now, let's add 20 STR (4 DCs), Martial Strike (2 DCs), and 2 Hand-to-Hand DCs.   That's 8 more DCs, so the net is 11.75.  Convert that first to normal dice...

1/4 advantage on N DCs == 11.75 DCs

so N == 11.75 * (4/5)...or 9 and change.  Might add a pip of STUN on a normal attack but since this is gonna be a killing attack, it's 9.

9 dice normal == 3 dice killing.

It sounds more complex than it is.  But I'm a math geek too.  And I've done this a fair bit, because HD doesn't add HA damage to martial attacks.  I use HAs a lot because I think STR as lifting increases too fast relative to STR as damage...so higher STR is an implicit justification for tossing on some HA for me.

Back to the original.  The progression for *purchasing* that HD uses is in DCs.  You're given the choice to say 1/2 d6 or d6-1;  I'd suggest routinely using the progression 1 pip, d6-1, d6.  IF THE NET DC COMPUTATION comes out at, let's say, leaves N full dice plus around 1.5 "leftover" dice, that's when you can split the difference and go with N + 1/2 d6.

BTW:  where feasible, I do all this math in advance.  (I like AVADs too, and they make things messy as well.)  In HD, it all goes onto the Notes page.