Killing Attack Stun Modifier & Hit Locations

greypaladin_01

Question

I am a little confused as to how the Stun Multiplier on the Hit Location chart works in 6e.  

With 6e, we now only roll a 1/2d6 for the Stun Multiplier on KA  (a nice change for sure).  However even though this is the case, the STUN mods on the hit location chart still go up to x5.   Is this working as intended as just a special benefit for the extra complexity of the Hit Location chart?  Is there an alternate chart published in one of the other sourcebooks that gives an alternate chart if we did not want to have such heavy multipliers?

5 answers to this question

On 6/24/2020 at 7:22 PM, greypaladin_01 said:

I am a little confused as to how the Stun Multiplier on the Hit Location chart works in 6e.  

With 6e, we now only roll a 1/2d6 for the Stun Multiplier on KA  (a nice change for sure).  However even though this is the case, the STUN mods on the hit location chart still go up to x5.   Is this working as intended as just a special benefit for the extra complexity of the Hit Location chart?  Is there an alternate chart published in one of the other sourcebooks that gives an alternate chart if we did not want to have such heavy multipliers?

The two systems are intended to be used separately; either hit location is rolled, or, STUNx is rolled. Per the text:

In some campaigns (particularly Heroic ones), 
the GM may prefer to use the Hit Location Table 
(see 6E2 108) instead of a rolled STUN Multiplier. 
In that case, use the STUN Multiplier listed on the 
table instead of rolling one. 6E2, p98

Yes, the Hit Location Table goes up to x5, because the odds of rolling a head shot (as required by the bell curve) are pretty low. You may want to pose this question in the Hero System Discussion forum to get a gauge of who does what in their campaigns, as this is the “most accurate answer based on the text” help line, and that is the open discussion zone. ;)

Hit locations did not change with the 6e change to 1d3 stun multiple. 

I believe that's because hit locations also multiply normal damage, and because the stun lotto was  never as pronounced in the heroic games that tend to use hit locations.

I'm not aware of an alternate chart, but it seems like you could just make 4-5 be 3x; 3x becomes 2x; and 1-2x = 1x

I originally email this response to greypaladin_01 back on Aug 23.  I am reprinting it here for informational sake in case others have similar issues.

Lately, Steve seems to be gone for large periods of time.  I am wondering if he's getting burnt out on Hero.  I don't know if this helps, but ...

The last time this was asked of Steve, the answer was to continue using the the x1 - x5 multipliers rather than rolling a 1d3 for the stun mod when using the hit location tables.  The multipliers are a hold out from earlier editions and is the way most GMs who use hit locations use the chart.  An alternative to using the x1 - x5 is to use the NStun modifier.  If you choose to go through this route, you would roll the stun mod 1d3 normally and then multiply the stun before defenses by the NStun multiplier.  

Example using the multipliers: Baldric is wielding a broad sword.  With his strength, the broad sword does 2d6K.  Baldric rolls 7 Body on the 2d6K.  Baldric then rolls on 3d6 for the hit location.  He rolls an 11, hitting the Chest.  the Chest has a stun multiplier of x3.  Baldric does 21 Stun to the target's chest.

Example using the NStun:  Baldric is wielding a mace.  With his strength, the mace does 2d6K.  Baldric rolls 8 Body with the mace and a 2 for the Stun Multiple for 16 Stun.  Baldric then rolls on 3d6 for the hit location.  He rolls an 18 and get the foot.  The foot has a 1/2 Body and NStun modifier so the attack does 4 Body and 8 Stun before defenses.

The results tend to be about the same in any case.  A blow to the head is very dangerous.  A blow to the hand or foot not as much.  Hopefully this helps.

Hit locations also increase the stun for normal attacks.  If you used the d3 multiplier and then applied multiplied the stun by the normal stun multiplier it actually comes out higher than using the hit location multiplier for killing attacks.   Assuming a head shot is a x3 multiplier instead of x5 you would end up with a x6 multiplier.

Hit locations are designed for campaigns that are a lot more dangerous.  If you are looking to play a more toned down game I would suggest not using the hit locations at all.