Building a City of Villains Mastermind

Christougher

The MMORPG City of Heroes spawned a villain equivalent, City of Villains.  One of the villain archetypes was the Mastermind, who had minions they directed to attack their enemies.  

As the Mastermind rose in power, these minions went from one to three mooks, one to two lieutenants, and a boss.

How would you build such a character without using the Summon power?  Many GMs are wary of Summon abuse, and you can't completely control Summons as well as a Mastermind could.

If you wanted absolute control over the minions, Summon really is the way to go. But, without Summon, I would build it by using the Followers Perk along with some standardize statting of the minions. As they advanced, they would spend their points on improving or acquiring new minions. So that increase in number? Points spent to increase the number. The advanced versions of the minions? Points spent on making the minions more effective and giving them better gear. Mind you, I've also used Resource Points in many of my games and buy standard equipment that way. This makes equipping them a bit easier IMHO.