Green Lantern issues

JmOz

Been thinking about Green Lanterns recently

If someone wanted to do a GL campaign where the rings were not paid for, how many points do you feel the characters should be?  

In otherwords if John, Hal, etc... were to be pointed up how many points NOT including the rings?

They don't get most of their characteristics from their rings, and some of them (Kilowog!) have superhuman characteristics.

I wouldn't go too low, and certainly wouldn't inflict NCM on them. (But then, NCM should never be used for superheroes.)

Everything depends on what you are planning on doing, but if you aren't concerned with restricting point totals, I'd consider making them "low powered superhumans" even without their rings. That might even be low, if you go nuts with skills, EGO (willpower!) and such.

7 hours ago, JmOz said:

Was not trying to be funny.  Int 25 is a high int.  Hal is not an idiot, bit that is top scientist area IMO.  My Batman would have 28....

Justice League Bats

Str 25
Dex 30
Con 20
Body 12
Int 35
Ego 20
Pre 35
PD 15
ED 15
SPD 8
Rec 9
End 40
Stun 35

WRT those Int values...

I think it's just an artifact of the system.  Systems scale some things VERY differently.  For one thing, note Hal's SPD 6, REC 7.  Huh?  That's just pathetic.  Granted it doesn't have to be high but he can't complete a serious workout with that.  With INT, I expect it's tying to the INT rolls, and possibly to Perception.  

One of the other things is, does MEGS even have a notion for "+1 to all INT skills"?  Because it might well make more sense to give Batman a 23, then +1 or +2 will all INT skills, another +1 or +2 with, say, the detective-class skills, and +2 with all Perception.  IOW, a more contextual translation rather than a strictly literal one, as I suspect was being done.  

Some of this, too, might just be how we think of INT, and the number itself is what's boggling.  We associate it kind of on the same scale as most others, like DEX or STR, but INT has one purpose, and one purpose only...and that purpose does not involve that value.  It involves the converted value.  It's a 16-...this is cutting-edge stuff but not the realm of super-geniuses.  So it's not necessarily wrong...and figure, it's also not very expensive.  INT is cheap.  Ask yourself...would you be as boggled if it was expressed as "INT rolls are 16-, for 25 points"?  And figure, it might not feel quite right....but buying up all those skill levels may *well* cost MORE.  I've done a couple builds where I bit the bullet and went with +2 or +3 Overall levels, because it was cheaper than +3 to the Power skill, CSLs, group skills, etc. 

One thing I love about Champions Now is that the stats are simplified...Str and Pre are effect-scaled;  Dex, Int and Ego are scaled for target number.  It's much cleaner.  Not saying I like the costing or scaling Ron uses...but the notions are better.