Best jobs for Secret IDs?

Steve

22 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Congressman.

No one actually expects you to be there anyway.....

I thought of making a snide joke about heroes wo pose as villains to infiltrate the criminal underworld, but that's a cheap laugh.

Being at least semi-serious, the big problems are 1) the media scrutiny (and opposition research) you may receive, and the amount of time you hav e to spend hustling for campaign cash.

OTOH you get a research staff with the job! And whatever bizarre information you ask them to collect, you just say it's background for legislation you plan to propose.

Dean Shomshak

3 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Yes, or Parcel Messenger.(not a delivery driver).

I’ve worked as a parcel messenger and one of my brothers was a cabbie.  The dispatchers know where you are at ALL times.  Especially now when many taxis and messenger cars have GPS to make sure the drivers are where they’re supposed to be and not screwing around on company time.

Some taxis are privately owned but the medallion (the little square license plate bolted to the back of the cab) costs about as much as a small house. So it’s not really possible for a poor but honest superhero.

So when you say 'best' jobs, you mean for the purposes of keeping a secret ID or for role-playing?  Being filthy rich is convenient so you can set your own schedule and pay for whatever you need, but then you lose out on the role-playing opportunities when you have to explain to your boss why you showed up for work an hour late and smelling of brimstone :)

Real estate agent is a good one, since they set their hours with their clients, can easily be placed in any given neighborhood, and still gives role-playing opportunities when they have to temporarily ditch their client to deal with some super-powered threat.  Also, because of the feast or famine nature of real estate, the GM can be lax about the character's work schedule when it is convenient to the story-line by saying the character scored some big commissions, or the GM can turn up the pressure on their secret ID if they haven't gotten a sale in a while.

One I always like for mystic-type heroes is antiques dealer.  Again, the schedule is flexible, it lets them be eccentric without anyone batting an eye, and who knows what kinds of artifacts, treasure maps, or McGuffins they might find in their line of work.

I guess it would also depend on the "when".  I try to run all my supers games before 1985.  After that tech gets too intrusive and makes it hard to maintain a secret ID.  

In that setting a messenger or private investigator would work well. Especially if they were independently wealthy and the job was just a cover.

On a more serious note, there are people making good money today from blogs and YouTube channels. This could be a real possibility.

Or, if you want a more old-school approach, think of an author or novelist. Richard Castle, anyone?

I had a martial artist who owned a dojo. He didn't need to be there all the time, or on a regular schedule, but if he was absent too much he would have problems. This would probably work with other small, independent businesses as well.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

On a more serious note, there are people making good money today from blogs and YouTube channels. This could be a real possibility.

A YouTube channel sounds like a good way to monetize being a hero.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

I can imagine some supers livestreaming their activities, at least the action scenes.

It sounds like something DC's Booster Gold would do.

I just pick a job that you can put "freelance" in front of.

The characters I've played that pop into my head were:

photographer, musician, substitute teacher (eventually lost the job for not showing up to gigs, became a freelance IT guy), paid superhero (like the Avengers)

Some of my players have used recently:

private investigator, homeless person, mercenary, CEO of tech company, bookstore/cafe owner

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

This one is ideal. But it doesn't have to be a person making money off videos of her superhero self. Many Youtubers make money--even millions--playing video games. So a scrappy little Youtube gamer who occasionally misses upload schedules because he's in a supervillain dungeon could scrape by.