Jump to content

VIPERS assets


Opale
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey !

 

I was reading again the Coils of the Serpent recently, and I realized that I couldn't find all the enlisted Supervillains. Wouldsomeone know into which book find those ones ?

 

Adder Poison-spitting, knife-wielding super-agent 
Bloodstar High-DEX, high-SPD weaponmaster 
Boruto (“Volt”) Electricity powers Japan
Brute Super-strength 
Copperhead Powered armor 
Delusion Holographic super-technology Miami
Epoch Time manipulation Cairo
Gauntlet Power gauntlets -> found in Villains 3 
Hayaikaze (“Swiftwind”) Speedster, wind manipulation powers Japan
Hiss Mental powers 
Iron Lightning Magnetism, electricity powers Southern Africa
Jī nlí (“Goldforce”) Telekinetic powers Hong Kong
Minuet Mind control via music 
Nucleon Energy projection and control 
Spitfire Uses special “fire blaster” energy pistols 
Tornado Whirling/speedster powers 
Tungarak Super-strength, earth powers  -> found it on Bay City book from C:NM, but it isn't linked to VIPER there
Whitefire Fire powers 

 

By advance, thank you :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Opale! NIce to see you on the forums again. 👋

 

AFAICT the names and descriptions of those Dragon Branch villains in V:COTS are all that's been revealed about them in any Fifth or Sixth Edition Champions book. They're just fillers, which an individual GM could choose to develop if desired. As you surmised, Dragon Branch Tungarak is different from New Millennium Tungarak, although there's no reason you couldn't base a write-up for the former on the latter. Also, Gauntlet in CV3 has no connection to VIPER in his background, leading one to suspect VIPER's Gauntlet is a different villain... although again, nothing's stopping you from changing things to make them the same man for your own games.

 

The only other mention of any of these villains I could find elsewhere are Brute and Whitefire, both listed as inmates at Stronghold in the same-named book. But in that book they're only named and noted as Dragon Branch -- they get even less description than what you found.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi LL !

 

Yes, with COVID, I had at least time to come back to Champions rpg somehow ^^. And let my imagination do the rest.

 

Thanks for the pointers. I am considering opening a tabletop for a campaign where my PCs starts as normal guys, and get empowered. Or maybe they will become agents of VIPER, ARGENT, or who know where they will decide to go ! 

 

Maybe I should open another thread focused on VIPER, and see how the community can contribute 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though my own most recent uses of VIPER have mostly been based on the Fifth Edition source book version, I've also drawn heavily from the roster of VIPER staff supervillains in the Fourth Edition book to augment the ranks of Dragon Branch. I know the decision to emphasize VIPER's agents for 5E came after fan complaints that 4E leaned too heavily on their supervillains, but IMHO 5E went too far in the opposite direction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Even though my own most recent uses of VIPER have mostly been based on the Fifth Edition source book version, I've also drawn heavily from the roster of VIPER staff supervillains in the Fourth Edition book to augment the ranks of Dragon Branch. I know the decision to emphasize VIPER's agents for 5E came after fan complaints that 4E leaned too heavily on their supervillains, but IMHO 5E went too far in the opposite direction.

I wonder if some of the GM didn’t read the part in 4th where it talks about Viper being heavily agent based? Scratches head.🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I wonder if some of the GM didn’t read the part in 4th where it talks about Viper being heavily agent based? Scratches head.🤔

Ninja-Bear is right.  VIPER was always an agent heavy group. If it wasn't; then it would of been a supervillain team.

 

VIPER was always a team like HYDRA. It moved slightly towards COBRA and Galactor in 4th edition (I already mentioned somewhere that the true Supreme Serpent is like Sousai X, and that hippy mentalist guy Mind Warp was like Gel Sandora...I don't remember who is like Berg Katsu or Lord Egobooster ..)

 

VIPER 5th and VIPER 6th are not exactly anything but there own thing. But that only means that VIPER hasn't been focused of adventures as it should be. If VIPER was really a big threat, shouldn't there be an actual focus of some adventures?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I wonder if some of the GM didn’t read the part in 4th where it talks about Viper being heavily agent based? Scratches head.🤔

 

*Shrug* Saying it is doesn't automatically make it so. But my IMHO can certainly differ from your IYHO. :)

 

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

VIPER 5th and VIPER 6th are not exactly anything but there own thing. But that only means that VIPER hasn't been focused of adventures as it should be. If VIPER was really a big threat, shouldn't there be an actual focus of some adventures?

 

V:COTS went the "plot seed" route common for Champs books under DOJ. We've certainly had plenty of criticism of that approach here. But Hero Games also published adventures around the likes of Road Kill, so being the focus of an adventure doesn't necessarily mean that something is a really big threat. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

 

*Shrug* Saying it is doesn't automatically make it so. But my IMHO can certainly differ from your IYHO. :)

I was just pointing out that the one section I read (so far) Viper 4th talks about how it’s an agent based group even though the book has Super villains for it.  It’s not surprising though through many of my gaming stuff (different systems too) many complaints seem to based on the lack of reading the material.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was just pointing out that while 4E VIPER says it's agent-based, giving so much attention to VIPER super villains in what the book actually covers appears to run counter to that. You can't really fault someone for their impressions if one thing they read is disputed by a lot of what else they read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I was just pointing out that while 4E VIPER says it's agent-based, giving so much attention to VIPER super villains in what the book actually covers appears to run counter to that. You can't really fault someone for their impressions if one thing they read is disputed by a lot of what else they read.

Oh I understand. I see what your saying. I believe though that the Supers in the 4th ed book are there to bolster the agents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Greywind said:

She's Viper. Or Madame Hydra.

 

You don't like her assets?

I like them.  In fact, I'm considering using Hydra instead of Viper in my upcoming campaign.  They will, though, be more of an international criminal organization and less of something like COBRA from the G. I. Joe franchise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, steriaca said:

I'm kinda like my outline for Copperhead.  Mostly the helmet based weapons system. Yes, it is of the copper coloration.

Ha, I have a  Viper Agent Code Name Copperhead. He’s based on a Heroclix (name escapes me) He’s more powerful than a Mauler agent but not a Super Villain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...