Champions Adventures Reboot

Christopher R Taylor

Champions adventure   

28 members have voted

1. 1. What adventures would you like to see rebooted?

• Atlas Unleashed
    • Challenges For Champions
    • Champions Presents
    • Day of the Destroyer
    • Demons Rule
    • Target: Hero
    • To Serve & Protect
    • Wrath of the Seven Horsemen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/2020 at 10:43 AM

I think there's a fair amount of interest in seeing old, out-of-print Champions adventures being re-released in 6th edition with some new art, updating to modern day, etc.  These are from adventures that I own, there are others which people might want to see rebooted.  I don't want to redo To Serve and Protect personally, I think that should be done by Scott Heine.

8 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Duke, I never heard of Atlas Unleashed. Tell me more! (And you know my taste doesn’t mind terrible 😁).

I don't know how to describe it, really-- I mean, you can sort of see what the author was going for, but every here and there he would take a turn that... Well, I think they were meant as twists, but they came off as absolute derailments: really jarringly yanking "oh, this would be cool!" into and out of the story. 

Best way to describe it- and I'm really trying here- was if someone had opted to try to bend genres between horror and Dark Champions (the edgelordy original version) and then thought "now, how can I use this setting to tell a Captain Planet story?" 

I mean it had some things, and some stuff, and you know.... 

Aha!  

It was like sitting through almost _any_ episode of I Love Lucy!  I know: she's insanely popular.  I can't watch that show; it's just an absolute cringe-fest for me.  I can't laugh at it because the situations she ends up in are so painfully humiliating or over-the-top moronic that I find myself overcome with shame on her behalf or guilt for having been witness to something from which her psyche should remain horribly scarred. 

That's what reading Atlas Unleashed was like for me, with The Heap thrown in for good measure. 

Wasn't Atlas Unleashed the one that gave information about the generic coastal city?  I seem to remember the Coastal Metro Power Company, the Coastal City Museum of Fine Art, the swank Birdmore Hotel, Wayne Air Force Base, a NASA tracking station, Mayor Lois Kent, and Captain Anderson of the military, who was probably Army Special Forces.

I think they all could be reprinted in a compendium-like volume. Maybe a Champions Adventure Omnibus that updates these, and a few others like Escape from Stronghold, Viper's Nest, and others. The back end of the book could be dedicated to updating character sheets, and maybe give a few heroes that could be used.

So hard to choose! A lot could be said for several of them. I agree with Pariah that Day of the Destroyer highlights the arch-villain of the Champions Universe, and is a very well-constructed adventure. To Serve and Protect is also well crafted, and gave us the Protectors, my all-time fav NPC hero team. Challenges for Champions was written for diversity and modularity, with multiple short adventures insertable into most campaigns, the kind of thing many fans have asked for. I also have a great fondness for VOICE of Doom, with its large roster of diverse international villains, and a grand mastermind villain.

However, if I had to pick just one, I would choose Wrath of the Seven Horsemen, for several reasons. One, it gives us a sizeable array of colorful, distinctive, formidable villains, who could plausibly be used individually or in any combination. Two, it provides an array of plot- and origin- generating artifacts with great reuse potential: the Worm Scepter, the Stone Crown, the alien ship and its contents (both artifacts and "eggs"). Three, the ship and its "Old Ones" can easily be adapted to fit into and draw from the official Champions Universe, with its Elder Worm, Kings of Edom, and other Lovecraftian nightmares.

45 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Yep. 

Like I said, there were some things and some stuff, but the adventure itself was a disappointment.  Unless you're into Dark Champions Captain Planet Horror, of course. 

Since it's my home town, I used Pittsburgh's map as Coastal City's map.  The factory-lined channel to Coastal City Bay was the Ohio River to the downstream end of Brunot Island.  The island itself is, in real life, occupied by an electrical generating plant.

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Atlas Unleashed was just terrible.  Terrible.  Terribly terrible.  Leave it in whatever ditch you found it in.

While I don't dispute your assessment, Duke, I did like the concept from the book of Prometheus, a sort of armed Peace Corps bringing humanitarian aid to the innocent victims of conflicts or natural disasters, whether the local government wanted it or not. To that end I modified the backgrounds and personalities of most of the Atlas villains for my own game to be more idealistic and heroic, and designated "Atlas" as the code-name for the "superhero" unit of Prometheus, backing up their agents when more force was needed to do their jobs.

That version of Prometheus made a few appearances in a past campaign.

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Sad to see Target Hero getting no love, I really liked that module

Going to be fair:

There was nothing inherently wrong with Target: Hero.  I thought it was pretty good.  However it wasn't one of my favorites. 

It relied too much on GM skill: the GM was expected to be able to work this lengthy backstory and build up into his campaign.  If he didn't have at least a weekly group, it was going to take a long time, during which other plots would tend to present themselves.  Alternatively, the GM could do an info dump and retcon it in, but doing a "story so far" dump to the players robs them of the mystery and even some of the chance to play detective _unless it handled carefully_.  Not all groups have time for the long road, and not all GMs have the skill for the shortcut. 

As examples, when Jim ran us through it, it was _great_!  Years later, I tried to run a group though it. Unlike Jim, I hadn't had the module for six months before running it (when Jim left, he gave me all his stuff.  I took over "our" group as GM, but I also had a second, less regular group at that point). 

I also didn't have a group that played twice a week to include weekend marathons.  I couldn't just work the story in the way he had, and I opted to shortcut it. 

The first time was awful. I'll spare you the details; suffice it to say that it turned into "well since we know everything, let's just go find the guy and get him." 

Four or five years later, I did the same thing with a different group.  I had a lot more practice then, and spent three sessions brining key characters (a Batmunch wannabe and a boyscout-type with a police contact) up to speed with different bits of knowledge, then having two hits (well, one hit and one attempt) in-session, whereupon the two "in the know" characters announce something along the lines of "this is just like that case I'm working on...." and the game went onward from there.  That time around it went a lot like I had hoped it would the first time. 

The difference was, I believe, GM experience.  That's my only complaint with Target: Hero; if you don't have a very regular, ver involved group, you'd better have an extremely seasoned GM with a light touch, and while the module suggests you can run it either way (long game or just do an info dump), there isn't any solid advice in there for just how to handle either one (how do you keep something else from becoming the focus of the players' attentions if you're playing the long game, for example?) 

Man. 

That was longer than in thought it would be.   :lol:

12 minutes ago, phydaux said:

You forgot Island of Dr. Destroyer

Probably the best "one-shot" adventure ever written for Champions. Direct, linear, headlong action. If that's what you're looking to play, it's a great choice. But other modules have more depth of character, and complexity of plot.

But Christopher did mention that the choices he offered were the ones he has.

30 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Well... there's a reason for that 😁

Hey!

Didn't' you just say that the bad ones could most benefit from an update?  :lol:   

Seriously, though-- I don't really care for that one. It's really much more heavy on tabletop wargaming than I care for in an RPG, with a serious military bent to it that-- while I don't mind it in most other things-- just doesn't jibe well with supers _for me_.

Though you _could_ take "Escape from Stronghold" and rework it to include an escape from Stronghold.  Or any actual adventure at all, really.  It was really nothing more than "here's this super-prison idea we had, and some random thoughts how you could maybe use it in your campaign, if you want."

I realize that this was the early days of RPGs, but at this point, there were even third party publishers who could put together actual adventures.   ;)