Champions Adventures Reboot

Christopher R Taylor

Champions adventure   

28 members have voted

1. 1. What adventures would you like to see rebooted?

• Atlas Unleashed
    • Challenges For Champions
    • Champions Presents
    • Day of the Destroyer
    • Demons Rule
    • Target: Hero
    • To Serve & Protect
    • Wrath of the Seven Horsemen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/2020 at 10:43 AM

I picked "To Protect and Serve" because :winkgrin:

There are several I'd like to see get a re-write. 

I do want to point out that a reboot does not absolutely have to keep all of the original modules premises.  I mean TPaS could be set in Hudson City solving the need for more detail in the city and a usable city map......:whistle:

My top three":

1) Wrath of the Seven Horsemen- large, powerful villain group- many possible hooks- a final scene that can nasty and heroic

2) Target :Hero - as long as the GM was given advice on how to incorporate this into his campaign, this can work

3) Challenges for Champions - a bunch of small one or two shot adventures that could be spun off into many more as well as a ton of NPC villains

2 hours ago, phydaux said:

You forgot Island of Dr. Destroyer

Confession: I voted for Day of the Destroyer but I thought I was voting for Island of Doctor Destroyer!

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

Though you _could_ take "Escape from Stronghold" and rework it to include an escape from Stronghold.  Or any actual adventure at all, really.  It was really nothing more than "here's this super-prison idea we had, and some random thoughts how you could maybe use it in your campaign, if you want."

OMG, this is an awesome idea. Then you also get an updated superprison.

By the way, The Great Supervillain Contest still remains one of my favorites.

Escape from Stronghold was reprinted in a 4th edition book wasn't it?  My aging memory is telling me something like that.  But yes, it could definitely be a more interesting adventure than just the prison.

This is a repeat, but it could be worked into the scenario.  I ran a convention game once where I had people bring their own heroes, it didn't matter to me what power level they were or anything.  I didn't even care if they were broken.  Then after an introductory battle with a villain team which they handily won, the next day the PCs woke up.... in Stronghold in the bodies of the villains they defeated.  Meanwhile, the villains in their bodies were busy being villainy and making them look as bad as possible.

The heroes had to escape, evade superheroes and PRIMUS trying to recapture them, invade their own superhero base, and recover their bodies, somehow, clearing their name.  It didn't run as well as I had hoped but the concept was really fun.  I could see working that into Stronghold somehow.

Btw I used the maps and giant insects from Target Earth for a one shot with Dragonfly as the main villain. Simple premise, Giant insects are rampaging through the city. Heroes stop them and then track down Dragonfly and his cohorts. (You guessed it. They were other insect villains).

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Though you _could_ take "Escape from Stronghold" and rework it to include an escape from Stronghold.  Or any actual adventure at all, really.  It was really nothing more than "here's this super-prison idea we had, and some random thoughts how you could maybe use it in your campaign, if you want."

3 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

CT -Stronghold shows up in Classic Enemies for 4th ed.

The detailed description of Stronghold in Classic Enemies is actually quite different from what's described in the 5E Stronghold source book, less supertech and more restrictive and, arguably, inhumane. For my part, I find that makes it a good super-prison for scenarios set in countries which are less technologically advanced than America, and/or less concerned over human rights, such as Russia or China.

But there actually is a 4E adventure, "Murder in Stronghold," included in the three-adventure compilation book, Champions Presents #2. It's designed for the version of Stronghold mentioned above.

Wrath of the Seven Horsemen - definitely my top pick but I think I screwed up and voted for Serve and Protect in the poll. Very powerful villains with an artifact which can create either new heroes or villains (villains turn on the artifact and it more or less randomly rebuilds the target person both mentally and physically) . A GM should be able to fairly easily switch up who is the leader and have one of the women running the show if that's what the GM is looking for.

Serve and Protect is great and I love the superhero team. But I think there's a lot more GM's looking for villains than looking for more heroes. (Even if you include those who are still looking for Morty, the Giant Green Jello Mold from the Planet Minimax.)

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

See, that's at least three votes for Wrath posted to this thread, but only one showing up on the poll. Something be screwy here. :think:

The wording of the poll seemed to indicate that I could make multiple choices so I clicked on both Protect and Wrath.

When I submitted my choice, I was watching the poll. The vote for Protect stayed in place but the vote for Wrath disappeared as the screen was transitioning.

Perhaps the poll is only accepting one choice, the first one in order, as being valid. And other people besides me have tried to select multiple adventures?

If that's not what's happening then I'm stumped.

On 7/7/2020 at 8:42 AM, Lord Liaden said:

there actually is a 4E adventure, "Murder in Stronghold," included in the three-adventure compilation book, Champions Presents #2. It's designed for the version of Stronghold mentioned above.

That was a really well received adventure in my old Group.  The Proteus from that adventure ended up being memorable enough that I've never been able to re-use the name in more modern games.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

A question about the Challenges for Champions book, do people want the full reprint of all the short adventures or released in smaller portions?

I already own the original so I'm not in the market to purchase another copy. But I would think the answer to that question might have something to do with the price point and how fast the product would hit the store.

If it would take a couple of years to clean up the whole book before it is ready to be re-released, it might be that people would prefer for the adventures to hit the store one at a time as they each get ready for re-publication. 

On the other hand, if purchasing the individual adventures separately is going to be significantly more (or less) expensive than buying the whole book, that might change people's opinions as well.

4 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

A question about the Challenges for Champions book, do people want the full reprint of all the short adventures or released in smaller portions?

Do you mean that instead of one PDF containing all 10 scenarios, breaking them into 10 separate PDF? 

39 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah was thinking of releasing them as individual mini adventures in a series called Challenges for Champions instead of one big book.

My two cents is either one is good for me.

You could easily release each individual item by part and then when everything is complete reformat them as a single PDF for later sales.

• 2 months later...

In case you were considering doing a redbuild like this for the Community Project, I want to encourage you to do so.  The Island of Dr Destroyer is selling pretty well, and people are responding very positively toward it.  It wasn't too tough to do, and I had to do a lot of writing to expand and update that old a module.  Something newer would be much easier. 

I strongly encourage people to join in and work on updates because not only is it worthwhile, but it helps our hobby and helps reach out to new players.  Just because you've run Deathstroke 4 times doesn't mean its old hat to someone who just started playing RPGs!

On 7/6/2020 at 9:53 PM, Sketchpad said:

The problem with To Serve and Protect is if it were updated, I'd love to see Scott Heine do it

Second!

:D

On 7/6/2020 at 9:53 PM, Sketchpad said:

and give more info on the Bay City setting he'd ran his games in. 

Would that be the same Bay City from the New Millennium Bay City sourcebook?

If so, there's a sourcebook.  :)

On 10/26/2020 at 4:33 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Would that be the same Bay City from the New Millennium Bay City sourcebook?

If so, there's a sourcebook.  :)

I don't believe so, Duke. IIRC, Scott had an entire different Bay City campaign that he ran many moons ago. I have the C:NM one. ;)

On 10/26/2020 at 4:17 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

In case you were considering doing a redbuild like this for the Community Project, I want to encourage you to do so.  The Island of Dr Destroyer is selling pretty well, and people are responding very positively toward it.  It wasn't too tough to do, and I had to do a lot of writing to expand and update that old a module.  Something newer would be much easier. 

I strongly encourage people to join in and work on updates because not only is it worthwhile, but it helps our hobby and helps reach out to new players.  Just because you've run Deathstroke 4 times doesn't mean its old hat to someone who just started playing RPGs!

I'd consider it, but I have no artistic skill and am not very adept at formatting either. I feel underqualified to even attempt.

• 7 months later...

OK I am looking at trying to rebuild and reboot Escape From Stronghold for this year, along with work on my Fantasy setting.  I'll give it my best shot to make it as fresh and useful as possible, which was pretty easy with Island of Dr Destroyer because it was so old and simple in structure.  And yes, I have an actual plot for an escape to take place, one I ran as a CON game once.