Star Trek (The Original Series): What's the Best Episode?

Pariah

3 minutes ago, zslane said:

My favorites as a kid were always:

• A Piece of the Action

I loved that episode when I was younger. Haven't seen it for a while, so I'm not sure how it holds up, but the idea of unchallenged gangster bosses being the de-facto government of that world (which they viewed as another "racket") could easily have been explored as a novel in itself outside of Trek. It is either a libertarian's dream or a law-abiding citizen's dystopia.

Someone wrote a novel once where the Mafia actually overthrew the US government, took over, and unintentionally created a utopia. I did not read it, and since my memory of seeing it on the shelves is from 25 years ago I doubt finding a copy (or even the title) would be a simple thing.

David Gerrold (writer of The Trouble with Tribbles) set out this bit of clarity: Action-adventure is, "Kirk must overcome a problem." Drama is, "Kirk must make a decision." Like in City on the Edge of Forever: Save the woman he loves, or save the future? Or The Immunity Syndrome: Which of his friends, Spock or McCoy, does he send on a suicide mission? (Into the giant space amoeba, if you don't remember that one.)

The Trouble with Tribbles is the first ST episode I say, which made me a Trekkie when I was young and led to my interest in SF, so it holds a special place in my heart. I still have the tribble I made when I was, hm, 10?

I'll nominate The Corbomite Maneuver as the best version of the "Super-alien tests humanity" story the show did several times. Not just because Balok was so menacing, and Kirk so clever in response, and Balok so surprising when his true(?) form is revealed. First, Balok wasn't so annoyingly preachy, like the Metrons or Organians. MOre than a little trickster here! Second, we had drama in showing Kirk dealing with other crew members, not just with the threat of Balok. And third -- something I only realized when I re-watched the episode recently -- Kirk never fooled Balok for a second. He played Kirk brilliantly, without making Kirk look stupid, changing strategies to maneuver Kirk intoa situation that would reveal true character.

Dean Shomshak

On 7/10/2020 at 7:49 PM, death tribble said:

The Omega Glory (the one with the crew turned into crystals)

Uh, sorry, Tribble, but that's "By Any Other Name". The Omega Glory is the one with the alien American/Chinese nuclear war and the Federation official who interferes in the hopes of discovering a method of immortality - and generally considered a low point of the series.

32 minutes ago, Sundog said:

Uh, sorry, Tribble, but that's "By Any Other Name". The Omega Glory is the one with the alien American/Chinese nuclear war and the Federation official who interferes in the hopes of discovering a method of immortality - and generally considered a low point of the series.

I wouldn't consider it the low point. Just non memorable 

My favorite is A Private Little War. I watched it again recently because it's one of the episodes that seems like Kirk had to really think about a decision involving the Prime Directive etc. And the solution isn't perfect, but he refused to wash his hands of it. It kind of parallels a lot of real-world situations.

It is the episode that I most think of as tackling a tough no-win situation, like the Kobayashi Maru.

3 hours ago, Sundog said:

No, you are wrong and I know why. The crew of the USS Exeter have been turned into crystals and Spock and Kirk etc have to be beamed down to the planet where they are cured. By Any Other Name is where the aliens turn the crew into  a solid and then kill them. But they turn almost the entire Enterprise crew into these solids. I should have specified that the they find a crew turned into crystals. 

1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

My favorite is A Private Little War. I watched it again recently because it's one of the episodes that seems like Kirk had to really think about a decision involving the Prime Directive etc. And the solution isn't perfect, but he refused to wash his hands of it. It kind of parallels a lot of real-world situations.

I like it because it has a white gorilla with a horn on its head.

1 hour ago, pbemguy said:

It is the episode that I most think of as tackling a tough no-win situation, like the Kobayashi Maru.

Though I did disagree with McCoy somewhat. Pacifist aren't the first to die. The first are the ones who come to their defense in my experience.  Just saying.