Star Trek (The Original Series): What's the Best Episode?

Pariah

14 minutes ago, death tribble said:

No, you are wrong and I know why. The crew of the USS Exeter have been turned into crystals and Spock and Kirk etc have to be beamed down to the planet where they are cured. By Any Other Name is where the aliens turn the crew into  a solid and then kill them. But they turn almost the entire Enterprise crew into these solids. I should have specified that the they find a crew turned into crystals. 

"Rock salt" would have been more visually accurate. At first I also thought you were referring to "By Any Other Name" until I remembered the Exeter crew's fate.

And while the Kelvans turned the Enterprise crew into crystalline shapes (cuboctahedra to be precise), the blocks were apparently made of Styrofoam.

Dean Shomshak

19 minutes ago, death tribble said:

No, you are wrong and I know why. The crew of the USS Exeter have been turned into crystals and Spock and Kirk etc have to be beamed down to the planet where they are cured. By Any Other Name is where the aliens turn the crew into  a solid and then kill them. But they turn almost the entire Enterprise crew into these solids. I should have specified that the they find a crew turned into crystals. 

They didn't get turned into crystals. Rather spilled sugar on aisle 3.

22 minutes ago, death tribble said:

And they met rogue captain doctor van gelder

3 hours ago, Sundog said:

The Omega Glory is the one with the alien American/Chinese nuclear war and the Federation official who interferes in the hopes of discovering a method of immortality - and generally considered a low point of the series.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I wouldn't consider it the low point. Just non memorable 

It was actually a pretty powerful statement for a 1960's scifi show and pretty memorable for people that grew up in that era. 

It wasn't "the one with the alien American/Chinese nuclear war".  It was the cautionary tale one where an advance world had reduced itself via Nuclear/Biological/Chemical war into to a primitive agrarian society fighting an endless war with "nomad barbarians".  A war where the participants no longer even remember the actual cause or even speak or read their original language.   The idea of the total destruction of the world by way of Nuclear/Biological/Chemical warfare was a very very real threat in the 50's, 60's and 70's and an ever present cloud in the back of everyone's mind back then. Making an episode that highlighted what most everyday people worked hard to forget was a pretty edgy thing.  Which is probably why it isn't on the "best episode" lists of the older fans who'd rather not be reminded and I guess isn't seen as much of anything by younger scifi fans that didn't experience that era's mindset.  But that is a good thing, that lack of understanding.  The world still has issues, but those issues are not as immediately apocalyptic as they were.  

3 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Morgan Woodward was in two original series episodes. And then he turns up in the X-Files second season.

Yeah he guest starred on a LOT of Western shows at the time. He was probably on Gunsmoke at least as 6 or 7 different characters over several years.

Also th think he was on Wagon Train as oddly enough a Peter Lorre underling.

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree on the intent, but the execution wasn't memorable.

Perhaps, perhaps not. 

For 1968 on a shoe-string budget when the studio was adamant on each episode being popular action entertainment.

Well, in my book they managed a pretty good run.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Oh and the Garth episode always left me conflicted:

Green scantily clad Yvonne Craig=hot

Green scantily clad Yvonne Craig with a knife=I am a little scared

Note: And come on you blow up the only woman on the planet.

OMG that was Batgirl? Why didn't I know that!?!

image.png.65932314eaf9928bce5baa595bb3a552.png

Sorry messed and hit quote button.

I do remember my friend did make a comment during the android Sherry Jackson episode.

On Nurse Chapel's comment about mechanical geishas:

"I dont care"

Speaking of that I really need to make a fanfic containing a love triangle involving android Sherry Jackson and green Yvonne Craig. Nerds would worship me as a god.