Star Trek (The Original Series): What's the Best Episode?

Pariah

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

It was loud, flashy, goofy escapism that didn't pretend to be anything else. Younger audiences who hadn't seen many earlier movies probably didn't recognize how derivative it was. But all the time I was in the theater watching it I kept thinking to myself, "That's from V, that's from Star Wars, that's from War of the Worlds, that's from Top Gun, that's from Alien..." :rolleyes:

Yeah I didn't make quite as many connections, but it was definitely heavy on Top Gun meets War of the Worlds.  (I did miss the V, but I hadn't seen V since I was under 10 at that point.

1 hour ago, Spence said:

Some times a duck is just that, a duck.

I sometimes think that is the big failure of this decade.  The complete lack of understanding that sometime there are no hidden meanings.

Hmm, I dont know. I do see a lot directorial effort to push deeper meaning than what fits the material.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Hmm, I dont know. I do see a lot directorial effort to push deeper meaning than what fits the material.

Probably why the crap to good ratio leans so far to the crap side these days.  I remember when we got a couple entertaining and enjoyable movies a month.  Now we hope we get one or two "blockbusters" a year with the vast majority of the remaining attempts are pretty pathetic and forgotten within days of release.

Anyway, more often than not these days the "directorial effort to push deeper meaning" only manages to produce a mess that no one watches.  My guess is most of them have forgotten that they are supposed to be making entertainment. 

12 hours ago, Spence said:

Gaspers....movies made in 40's thru 60's in the US for US consumption with little or no real view toward being seen outside the US would present the US in the leading roles?  Oh my how horrendous.

I mean when you look at British film in the same era it is the British that always saves the world, Doctor Who included :winkgrin:  Though recently the Brits have been infected with the same "arrghhh I'm evil" syndrome that is being pushed. 

Objective Burma ! was 1945 but U571 was 2000 and Independence Day was 1996. It's a persistent Hollywood problem..

14 hours ago, Badger said:

There are people around that like Independence day?

Or is there a non will smith movie with that name I dont know about

I had to go to a funeral for a beloved Uncle. All us kids were devastated, We all decided to go see a movie afterwards. It was Independence Day. The over the top ness of it made us forget the rest of the day for a while. 

15 hours ago, DShomshak said:

I loathe The Omega Glory for the same reason I loathe Bread and Circuses and Miri. Alternate history is fun, but the idea that there's an actual other Earth out in space, or a planet whose inhabitants replicated Earth history to the point of precisely copying the Roman Empire or the exact wording of the U. S. Constitution, makes me go, "No, that's ridiculous." Exact other-humans is enough of a stretch; I will grant the effort to explain it away through hints that aliens transplanted human colonies to other worlds. At least Nazi World and Chicago Mobster World had defined points of recent interference.

Whatever worth Omega Glory has as a story, for me that revelation at the ending turns it all to crap.

Dean Shomshak

Original Star Trek was really more of an anthology series, with a recurring cast, like many other shows of the time. We didn't get solid continuity until the movies, and they managed it by essentially throwing out most of the weirdness of the original series.

22 hours ago, Badger said:

There are people around that like Independence day?

It improved immensely after the fact, thanks to the much crappier sequel and current events. Who knew that the White House and Capitol Building exploding into flaming debris would become feel-good moments upon rewatch?