Star Trek (The Original Series): What's the Best Episode?

Pariah

13 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I'm lost here.  In which season of Star Trek was "Independence Day"?  Which episode number was it?  I must have missed that one. 

They are talking about the movie Independence Day which is in no way connected with Star Trek.

ANYWAY... When I recently re-watched "Catspaw" (the "trick or treat" episode with Korob and Sylvia), I found it extra-amusing for  reasons that had nothing to do with the show itself.

See, the game Exalted has creatures called the Fair Folk -- their version of elves and faeries. The Fair Folk are creatures of primordial Chaos that have taken humanoid form to exist in Creation. To survive in Creation, they must feed on human souls. And one of their ways of doing this is to lure humans into acting out stories with them. Beyond such necessities, though, story roles are how they create identities. They are masks without faces behind them; they can only pretend to be real.

Korob and Sylvia are surprisingly good models for Fair Folk. Sylvia has her identity all worked out as sensual villainess. Korob is shiftier. Through the episode, he keeps trying out different roles: sinister magus, tester of morals, finally repentant but doomed ally, as Kirk et al fail to play along.

The pair even admit they need other people to give them form and roles to play.

Even the ending fits the pattern. Gosh, all they had to do was break the magic wand? That was easy. But classic fairy tale. And then it was all just make-believe... except for crewman Jackson being dead. Korob and Sylvia seem to be dead, too... or is that just more of the role-playing?

"Catspaw" was written by Robert Bloch, who got his start as a friend and disciple of H. P. Lovecraft. As an encounter with the wholly alien, the ep is a pretty fair Lovecraftian homage, even if it doesn't have the usual slime and tentacles.

Dean Shomshak

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:07 AM, Bazza said:

Anyone know if the 50s tv serial The Quatermass Experiment was an influence on Star Trek?

On 7/17/2020 at 10:27 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

It was definitely an influence on Doctor Who...

If there's any dramatic production that influenced Star Trek, it's Forbidden Planet.   An intrepid space captain and his equally intrepid crew journey to a planet in a faraway solar system where mystery and danger await--that's the elevator pitch for Star Trek right there.  Not to mention those episodes where Kirk and the Enterprise found the ruins of some ancient civilization with some (potentially dangerous) forgotten technology, such as--

"What Are Little Girls Made Of" (androids)

"The City On The Edge Of Forever" (time travel)

"That Which Survives" (holographic projection capable of physical contact)

"I, Mudd" (more androids)

"Turnabout Intruder" (mind transference)

Finally, you could have put William Shatner in the role of Commander Adams and he would have played it exactly the way Leslie Nielsen played it, righteous tirades and all.  Conversely, you could put Nielsen in the role of Kirk and he would have played it just like Shatner, again with tirades that could have been written expressly for him.

There were differences, of course.  Perhaps the biggest is that in Forbidden Planet the crew of the C-57D is thoroughly, relentlessly Caucasian-American men, whereas Star Trek became famous for its attempts at diversity--an African communications officer, a Russian naviForbidden Planet gator, an otherworldly science officer, and so on.  And they had non-Caucasians and non-males in positions of authority--Areel Shaw in the episode "Court Martial" was the prosecutor whose duty was to end Kirk's career.  And Donald Cory (played by Keye Luke) was the governor of a penal colony in the episode "Whom Gods Destroy."

While Star Trek had many other influences--I have heard it described as "Horatio Hornblower in space"--there is no doubt in my mind that Forbidden Planet was the biggest.

Rumor is when Roddenberry tried to sell the pilot, the pitch was Wagon Train to the Stars. They run episodes on METV if you want to look at it. Essentially it's a western where the guy in charge has to get his line of wagons from the start out point to California and deal with problems that come up with greenhorns and traveling a long dusty trail together

CES    

7 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Finally, you could have put William Shatner in the role of Commander Adams and he would have played it exactly the way Leslie Nielsen played it, righteous tirades and all.  Conversely, you could put Nielsen in the role of Kirk and he would have played it just like Shatner, again with tirades that could have been written expressly for him.

Mr. Scott - "Surely, you don't believe we can defeat the Klingons!"

Captain Kirk - "Yes I do.  And don't call me Shirley."

Forbidden Planet is a fantastic movie. It had the highest budget to that date of any science fiction film, and the Krell machines are still impressive-looking today.  And J.J. Adams was clearly the prototype for Kirk.

At the time, nobody knew Leslie Nielsen could do comedy. Nobody thought of asking him to until Airplane!, where several B-list "serious" actors (well known for their gravity) were asked to follow their script with a completely straight face. Which is a talent that can serve any actor well. Peter Graves' pedophile pilot was funny-creepy even then (though it's less funny and more creepy now), but nobody else in the film matched Nielsen. The rest is history.

The thing that bothered me most about Forbidden Planet is that the attitudes and behaviors of the crew were so relentlessly 1950s Hollywood cliche. I mean, the ship's cook who's a buffoon trying to scam booze; the girl beloved by wild animals due to being a physical/emotional virgin; even watching the movie as a kid in the 1960s, that irritated me.

OTOH the inside of the Krell machine, and the attack by the Monster from the Id, are among my favorite scenes in sci-fi movies.

As an addendum to my last post: In contrast to ROS, I am not sure I can remember 10 episodes of Next Generation I would even describe as good, let alone "10 best." To get 10 eps I remember at all, I'd have to go into the dreadful ones.

One thing about TOS... The stories often leave me wanting to know more, what happened later. Did the Federation ever manage peaceful contact with the Gorns or the Tholians? Did the Horta species ever seek wider contact with other people? What happened to Vaal's people, or Landru's, with the computer overlord gone? Did Eminiar and Vendikar end their war? Did the Iotians try to get a piece of the Federation's action? And so on.

I know that many, many ST spinoff novels have been written that explore such potential ramifications. Again, in contrast I can't think of many, if any, stories from TNG where I'd like to see "what happened next."

Dean Shomshak

43 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

As an addendum to my last post: In contrast to ROS, I am not sure I can remember 10 episodes of Next Generation I would even describe as good, let alone "10 best." To get 10 eps I remember at all, I'd have to go into the dreadful ones.

Wow, have to vehemently agree to disagree there.  Overall, I think DS9 is better than TNG, but TNG easily has at least a dozen really good to great episodes IMO.

Just off the top of my head -

Measure of A Man

Darmok

Inner Light

Sins of the Father

Best of Both Worlds

I, Borg

Tapestry

Conundrum

Cause and Effect

I can think of several more in my head, but I don't know their titles.  Many people love Yesterday's Enterprise also, but I think it's just good.  The first three I listed are simply brilliant IMO.