Star Trek (The Original Series): What's the Best Episode?

Pariah

22 hours ago, Starlord said:

Wow, have to vehemently agree to disagree there.  Overall, I think DS9 is better than TNG, but TNG easily has at least a dozen really good to great episodes IMO.

Just off the top of my head -

Measure of A Man

Darmok

Inner Light

Sins of the Father

Best of Both Worlds

I, Borg

Tapestry

Conundrum

Cause and Effect

I can think of several more in my head, but I don't know their titles.  Many people love Yesterday's Enterprise also, but I think it's just good.  The first three I listed are simply brilliant IMO.

I will give you Measure of a Man. Some of the ones on your list I don't remember at all, possibly because the titles are so boring.

I did like the episode with Ardra -- I think it was called Devil's Due. A romp rather than high drama, but I give it props for showing the Clarkean possibilities for Federation tech -- and that Picard isn't fooled.

My nomination for an actually brilliant ep was the one where, by a series of accidents, a village of people on a primitive planet think Picard is a god. His attempts to fix this violation of the Prime Dorective are indeed high drama: "Picard must make a decision" rather than merely "Picard must solve a problem." But like I said, I can't remember the title.

(And I do agree, DS9 was better than TNG in just about every way.)

Dean Shomshak

I would add

Encounter at Farpoint

Datalore

Heart of Glory

A Matter of Honor

Booby Trap

The Emissary

Peak Performance

Deja Q

A Matter of Perspective

Yesterday's Enterprise

Captain's Holiday

Reunion

Galaxy's Child

Identity Crisis

The Drumhead

Redemption

Ensign Ro

Unification

The Next Phase

Time's Arrow

Relics

Chain of Command

Face of the Enemy

Birthright

Starship Mine

Timescape

Descent

Gsmbit

Parallels

And I prefer TNG to DS9

Ok they only made one BSG series right.  Back in the 70s, and it lasted only one season, they didn't bring it from cancellation in 1980 for several horrible episodes.

And they most certainly didn't reboot it in the 2000s, where it got reduced to a bunch of Cylons posing as humans spying on each other and Scruffy the Janitor (aka the only human left)

Let us see the pilot had telepathic/mind illusion Talosian. The 2nd pilot had Gary Mitchell go full on god-like.  Then the Salt Monster had telepathy and illusion. And the Charlie Evan's was basically Gary Mitchell with Anakin's  personality and angst.

I think I covered it.

I did feel pity for Charlie Evans, because despite being physically adult he was obviously still a child. No training or experience in social context or emotional self-control, never having had to take responsibility for his actions, turned loose in an environment where he could do whatever he wanted without consequences. The result was inevitable. But all he really wanted was what he never had, acceptance and companionship from others like himself. And when that was finally in his grasp it was taken away.

I have to say, I find interesting the degree to which the prequel series, i.e., Enterprise and Discovery, have made it a point to demonize the Vulcans in general and Spock specifically.

I don't think Roddenberry would have approved.