Licensing Foxbat

pbemguy

I love ❤️Bruce Harlick❤️, and in my opinion he's one of the funniest and most creative rpg writers in existence.

Over on another thread, we're discussing the trickiness of building a project with multiple creators, and the pitfalls of intellectual property licenses.

Does anyone know how much money he got when he licensed Foxbat for Champions Online? I feel a ballpark idea or as much info as we have might make our decisions easier on that other thread. I feel like this might be the very valid reason we're approaching a stalemate on the IP license issue.

(My preliminary research indicates that perhaps Bruce Harlick was part of the City of Heroes/Champions Online design team? Any Hero historians out there? Help!)

AFAIK Foxbat isn't currently a character licensed by Bruce Harlick. I was under the distinct impression DOJ Inc. owned the character outright, and when they sold the Champions IP to Cryptic Studios Foxbat went with it, with Cryptic licensing the use of the IP to Hero Games in perpetuity. Bruce's past licensing of Champions characters like Marksman and Flare to Eclipse Comics, and now Dennis Mallonee's Heroic Publishing, don't apply to Champions Online.

If you have current information to the contrary, please share it. :)

15 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

AFAIK Foxbat isn't currently a character licensed by Bruce Harlick. I was under the distinct impression DOJ Inc. owned the character outright, and when they sold the Champions IP to Cryptic Studios Foxbat went with it, with Cryptic licensing the use of the IP to Hero Games in perpetuity. Bruce's past licensing of Champions characters like Marksman and Flare to Eclipse Comics, and now Dennis Mallonee's Heroic Publishing, don't apply to Champions Online.

If you have current information to the contrary, please share it. :)

Thank you! Would you say/guess that any independent creators made money licensing characters to Champions Online?

10 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I can always ask Bruce, if you want. I am currently working on a small side art project for him, and it involves Foxbat.  

Please ask Bruce! That's so cool that you're doing that. I'm super-jealous!

I feel like this answer will go a long way to solving the IP controversy we're talking about on the campaign world wiki thread. I was trying to brainstorm what people are worried about, and I was like, "Oh yeah, Foxbat in Champions Online must be the reason everyone is concerned, because there was money in that."

It's like magic that you and I have a similar perspective on the IP angle for the project and you have connections to Bruce Harlick.

*alarm clock goes off*  Aw, hell...

On 7/11/2020 at 2:41 PM, Lord Liaden said:

Bruce's past licensing of Champions characters like Marksman and Flare to Eclipse Comics, and now Dennis Mallonee's Heroic Publishing, don't apply to Champions Online.

From my understanding, the comic license no longer exists. Heroic Publishing had to change the "Marksman" character to "Huntsman" due to this if I heard correctly. 

1 hour ago, Sketchpad said:

From my understanding, the comic license no longer exists. Heroic Publishing had to change the "Marksman" character to "Huntsman" due to this if I heard correctly. 

Exactly....if there was no issue, then Marksman could be used. Which I think means Harlick or whoever said no, so they had to change the name. So a few of us are looking into that. :)

We're figuring out what kind of license can allow for contributors to the wiki so they can still keep their characters etc.