Carnival Theme Death Traps

hawkfu

Hi, a "wacky" supervillain has taken hostages and is making the heroes play his games to "win" them back. In one segment they enter sort of a carnival area with 4 challenges to overcome.

The first is a dunk tank that drops the hostage into toxic liquid. The objective is to successfully block or deflect 6 balls thrown by a bad guy.

The second is a balloon popper where the hero has to throw the darts to hit the balloons that are are around another hostage. Misses more than likely hit the hostage. Ten darts and they need to hit 6 balloons to win. After their first throw, the villain adds a blind fold to the hero.

The third is to Ring the Bell - the strong man hammer strike that sends a weight to the bell at the top. They have 5 attempts and need to hit the bell 3 times. Whoever swings the hammer faces a resistance equal to the STR they bring to it. A hostage is wired to the game and failing sets off an explosive.

The fourth I need help with. I'm thinking a whack-A-mole style game. Maybe the heroes are the "moles" who have to avoid getting whacked? Or they do the whacking and each success equals points and they have a set amount of time to get a certain number of points?

Any thoughts? I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

4 minutes ago, hawkfu said:

Hi, a "wacky" supervillain has taken hostages and is making the heroes play his games to "win" them back. In one segment they enter sort of a carnival area with 4 challenges to overcome.

The first is a dunk tank that drops the hostage into toxic liquid. The objective is to successfully block or deflect 6 balls thrown by a bad guy.

What keep the heroes from simply clobbering the bad guy? And/or simply breaking whatever holds the innocent in place and getting them out of there?

And the hero just lets himself be blindfolded? Why? And why throw darts? Or if one must throw darts, why not throw them at the villain?

The third is to Ring the Bell - the strong man hammer strike that sends a weight to the bell at the top. They have 5 attempts and need to hit the bell 3 times. Whoever swings the hammer faces a resistance equal to the STR they bring to it. A hostage is wired to the game and failing sets off an explosive.

again, what compels the heroes to play along?

The fourth I need help with.

Only the fourth?

I'm thinking a whack-A-mole style game. Maybe the heroes are the "moles" who have to avoid getting whacked? Or they do the whacking and each success equals points and they have a set amount of time to get a certain number of points?

Any thoughts? I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Lucius Alexander

Wacking a palindromedary

4 minutes ago, Lucius said:

This set-up is part of a larger adventure with the heroes working to save hostages taken by the villain. Playing these games is only one part and non-compliance risks the lives of other hostages not present. Simply clobbering the bad guy risks innocent lives.

21 minutes ago, Lucius said:

What keep the heroes from simply clobbering the bad guy? And/or simply breaking whatever holds the innocent in place and getting them out of there?

And the hero just lets himself be blindfolded? Why? And why throw darts? Or if one must throw darts, why not throw them at the villain?

Can always have the main villain and some of the hostages in a remote location. Or a remote control bomb around one of the hostages to promote compliance. Or just a bomb set to go off in a building somewhere else.

Have henchmen in the room, rafters, and watching video cameras on-site.

Whack-a-mole was my first thought when reading the title. But I've always had trouble designing death-traps. Either the trap is fool-proof and will work if I use it or I don't see the point. I can't seem to get myself into the mindset of "well, I'll put the hero in a death-trap so I can watch him escape". To me, that doesn't make sense for even a deranged person.

It sounds like you are going for a Joker/Arcade type villain, outwardly "fun" but inwardly cold and unfeeling, with little regard for human life.

Knowing that The Joker never had a problem sacrificing a henchman for a good joke, I though of a more "classic" type of Whack-a-mole.

The heroes are presented with a certain number of Henchmen (the moles) who pop up out of a hole, and the heroes are required to "whack" them, by knocking them out.

The difficulties are:

The attacks used to "whack" have to do at least some Body (no NND's , no Ego Attacks, and no Area Effect, Explosion, etc.)

Perhaps the Henchmen are protected by some sort of Force Field or Armor that requires BODY to penetrate.

The time limit is short.

Each hero goes in turn, they are not allowed to team up.

The problem is that in order to knock them out in time, the heroes have to risk killing them.

These henchmen are not vicious killers, they are just guys that get into fights with the heroes, slaughtering them wholesale should give the heroes pause.

As an added twist, more like Hogan's Alley than Whack a Mole, there is a chance for one of the Hostages to pop up out of the hole, so you can't unleash your attack until you are sure what you are aiming at, and you only have a very short time before the Mole disappears.

Now the villain doesn't care if some Henchmen (or Hostages) get killed, but the Heroes should.

More of a fragment than a complete trap, but there you go . . .

KA.

1 hour ago, KA. said:

It sounds like you are going for a Joker/Arcade type villain, outwardly "fun" but inwardly cold and unfeeling, with little regard for human life.

Knowing that The Joker never had a problem sacrificing a henchman for a good joke, I though of a more "classic" type of Whack-a-mole.

The heroes are presented with a certain number of Henchmen (the moles) who pop up out of a hole, and the heroes are required to "whack" them, by knocking them out.

The difficulties are:

The attacks used to "whack" have to do at least some Body (no NND's , no Ego Attacks, and no Area Effect, Explosion, etc.)

Perhaps the Henchmen are protected by some sort of Force Field or Armor that requires BODY to penetrate.

The time limit is short.

Each hero goes in turn, they are not allowed to team up.

The problem is that in order to knock them out in time, the heroes have to risk killing them.

These henchmen are not vicious killers, they are just guys that get into fights with the heroes, slaughtering them wholesale should give the heroes pause.

As an added twist, more like Hogan's Alley than Whack a Mole, there is a chance for one of the Hostages to pop up out of the hole, so you can't unleash your attack until you are sure what you are aiming at, and you only have a very short time before the Mole disappears.

Now the villain doesn't care if some Henchmen (or Hostages) get killed, but the Heroes should.

More of a fragment than a complete trap, but there you go . . .

KA.

I do love this idea - thank you for the ideas!

Alternatively, give them a hammer. They must hit the mole on the standard whack-a-mole machine before them. But through the tough glass wall, they can see a much larger whack-a-mole array - and a powerful pneumatic hammer that's hooked to the one in their hand.

On the machine in front of them, the moles are just plastic moles. But on the big one, some are plastic dummies...and some are bound hostages that will go splat if that big pneumatic hammer hits them.

Fifteen moles will pop up to win the game. 10 have to be hit to win. Five of the popups will be hostages. Popping a hostage still counts towards the ten, but...