When did superpowers occur?

IndianaJoe3

Shared Champions Campaign Origin  

17 members have voted

1. 1. In the shared campaign wiki (see other thread), when were the first super heroes?

• Prehistoric - Superheroes have always existed, be they known as gods, myths, saints, legends, or similar
    • Historic - Superheroes first existed during the late 1930s, roughly the time of the first, "mystery men" pulps
    • Modern - Superpowers are a more recent phenomenon, originating in the past few decades
    • Recent - Superpowers have only manifested in the past few years

17 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

I voted historic because of The Pulps.  The first superheroes were the mystery men and women.

I usually make it so superpowers are a new thing, manifesting as the campaign started or only a few years old phenomenon.

But I often have pulp superheroes as part of the world's history, but without superpowers. Fedora-wearin', mask-sportin', gun-totin' superheroes.

I like a mix of the first two. Naturally occurring heroes whether from Magic, Godly intervention, Mutation or Alien influences were extremely rare before the 1900’s slowly picking up due to Social Pressures caused by the first World War On one hand and the increase of radiation in the atmosphere due to early experimtation.

I picked prehistoric.

We may not have them all listed in the historical record, but there's always been some number of extra-ordinary people on the planet: Gilgamesh, Hercules, Qin Shi Huang, Kahn, Robin Hood, John Hawkwood, etc. Some have been overtly heroes. Some have deliberately been villainous or used their power to gain control of countries and armies. Others have tried to either live a normal life or tried to use their powers quietly for the benefit of themselves and their close friends.

A phydaux pointed out, the first actual costumed adventurers who are widely recorded and remembered were those like the Scarlet Pimpernel and Zorro. The first sizable number of masked mystery men in the US emerged in the 1920's and 1930's seemingly in response to the rise of organized crime and the exploits of heavily armed and violent criminals such as Bonnie and Clyde.

There's certainly been a seemingly ever-increasing number of people with genuine superpowers in recent decades making themselves known to the public. Experts differ on whether that is due only to the rapidly increasing world population plus an increasing acceptance from society of people openly using superpowers or whether the rate of incidence of people obtaining superpowers is rapidly increasing as well.

I’d think that superpowers may have always been with us, in fiction, but since Champions focuses on Comic book tropes and gaming, then for the Wikia to be useful for most Comics gaming fans, then, Superpowers should be common public knowledge from 1938, with nods to limited powers from earlier years like, The Shadow, Doc Savage, and the like. 

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I’d think that superpowers may have always been with us, in fiction, but since Champions focuses on Comic book tropes and gaming, then for the Wikia to be useful for most Comics gaming fans, then, Superpowers should be common public knowledge from 1938, with nods to limited powers from earlier years like, The Shadow, Doc Savage, and the like. 

I like this. And it also looks like this is where the poll is taking us.

On 7/14/2020 at 12:29 AM, phydaux said:

I had a PC that traced his lineage back to the French Revolution:

The Scarlet Pimpernel - Zoro - Lone Ranger - Green Hornet (Golden Age) - Shadowhunter I (Silver Age, DNPC) - Shadowhunter II (my PC, Bronze Age)

Phydaux - is Shadowhunter your own PC? I tried Googling it, but the results I got were hits that weren’t appropriate at all.