Panpiper's free for all character archive.

Panpiper

I do very much enjoy building characters, and I like for them to be well fleshed out with sufficient detail in their backgrounds to give them both adequate personality and various ways they could work within a game. I also like to make characters that are usable both as player characters and NPCs as the case may be. Finally I do like to share.

I intend to use this thread to post any fully developed Hero System characters I have built or will build in the future. Anything posted here will have full writeups and have appropriate background skills. I tend to create both fantasy and superhero characters, so these will be a mix of both. Anyone is free to use any of these characters either as PCs or as NPCs. Many of them will work well for both, while a few are likely best suited for NPCs only.

Point totals of course will vary. I will usually stick to standards, but sometimes characters get created based on an individual GM's campaign settings, and they may have differing point totals than standard. Do with them as you will.

Feel free to comment and critique, but please refrain from posting your own characters to this thread unless you are posting it as an example of a point you make in a comment.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's been a while since I've updated this page. While I've been working on a lot of characters, I haven't had any really leap out at me of late. This is not to say that all the ones I have posted thus far 'are' particularly noteworthy, but the majority have been in my opinion particularly worthy in some respect, often in their backstory, sometimes in their utility. I finally have a character that I find noteworthy in all respects.

Scheherazade - Former Pleasure Slave Become Mage - Fantasy

Scheherazade is not really a combat character, but would not be a liability in a combat heavy game. She's got a (again, all I say here is "in my opinion") great backstory which her build reflects completely. She has awesome roleplaying potential, and some very interesting ways she could present as an NPC as well as a player character. She would also make a devastatingly effective "honey trap" spy, with not a stealthy bone in her body. She could be an innocent in need of saving, a mysterious figure offering up a quest, or a force behind the throne, manipulating a king. (Check the background tab in the HDC file for more about using her as an NPC.)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/t4n97zgda4yoc15/Scheherazade's+Character+Sheet.pdf/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lv8du2gmxy65vhu/Sheherazade.hdc/file

She can summon warriors to aid her. They are below.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qn93kv807fly6yl/Valhala%27s_Ghost%27s_Character_Sheet.pdf/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uyjdqv4qav2yjsy/Valhala%27s_Ghost.hdc/file

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've been working on this character for a while now. I think I've finally got her at a matured state. Note some of the powers she has in her power pool might not pass muster with all GMs. Tailor as necessary.

Morgana Lefey - The Witch - Teen Supers

Morgana is descended in a line of witches from the Morgana of legend, and named after her. Morgana is primarily a 'utility' mage with the wide variety of abilities one might expect for a character built with a magic power pool. That said, she can hold her own in a fight, though she won't be moving fast, nor is she particularly tough despite her damage reduction. Just a few more XP in characteristics could toughen her up quite a bit. As an NPC she could be a superlative clue giver or quest seed as a soothsayer the players visit.

To make a lower power version, dump the reduced end and force 'restrainable (gestures and incantations)' on all her magic. To bump her to 400, improve her VPP to zero phase to change and lose the bottom of phase limitation. Add a bit of mental and power defense, and spend the rest on beefing up her characteristics as you see fit.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lpvb16m58mqbjee/Morgana+Lefey's+Character+Sheet.pdf/file

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0wkkaloac2ddjh8/Morgana+Lefey300.hdc/file

The Hardest Lessons (Warning; Potentially 'dark champions' disturbing.)

Morgana was a mere seven years old when she encountered her first predatory pedophile. The fellow saw the strange-looking, but still quite attractive child running around the carnival alone. He figured he got lucky when she chanced past the shadows he was lurking in. He grabbed her from behind pinning her to his chest far more strongly than she could resist while covering her mouth, her muffled screams utterly swamped by the noise of the carnival.

By this point in her life, she had been introduced to most of the spells that were in the grimoire but had little experience with casting any of them, so she could do nothing while he carried her off. In the back of a van, he tied her up, gagged her, and most worse of all, covered her head in a sac. That done, he drove off to some unknown destination.

The drive was a good twenty minutes, during which time she was able to calm herself to concentrate. She spent her time remembering everything she could about the "Ghostly Chill" spell her mother had tried to teach her. Her mom knew there were dangerous people in the world and had tried to convey that lesson. But sometimes lessons need to be learned the hard way so they really sink in. That lesson now learned, she recalled all the instruction with deadly seriousness, rehearsing it repeatedly in her mind.

She whispered the old words over and over like a mantra, invoking their power to aid her memory, "Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis ’s bethad, do chél dénmha!"

The ride done, her abductor carried her into a room where he took off her hood, preparing to do his worst. She didn't scream, she didn't struggle, she just took a good look at him. The predator was confused at her odd lack of apparent terror. Then her eyes went white as she looked into his soul with Blindsight. She wanted to see what such a person truly looked like, so she could more easily identify such dangers in the future.

At the sight of her eyes suddenly going white as she stared at him, the villain stood with a start! He opened his mouth to speak, but Morgana had seen enough. She nailed him with Ghostly Chill and he dropped like a sack of potatoes, right on top of her! She was trussed up too much to use her arms to get out from under him and struggle as she might, she couldn't wiggle out.

Again she calmed herself. There was another spell, "Spirit of Akasha" that she had studied but not yet accomplished. Now her life might depend on it. Once more she recalled her lessons, again with the mantra, and while it took some time, the seriousness of her plight catalyzed her success. She phased to spirit. Her ropes fell through her as she glided up and through the unconscious body of her abductor.

She looked around the room, a large closet really. There was little in it save a mattress and a bucket, no window. There was a pile of discarded children's clothing in a corner. Then she noticed that the mattress was covered in bloodstains, and the pedophile had a big knife sheathed on his belt.

It was a day for lessons, there are some truly dark evils in the world as her mother had warned her. She understood what had happened here, apparently at least several times. Morgana was torn now with a hard ethical choice, a really tough choice to face at the young age of seven. 

Her mother had long counselled her on the extreme necessity of their hiding their magic from the world. She had learned the histories, especially of what was done with those simply suspected of witchcraft. She dared not go to the authorities to report this man, there would be too many questions she could not answer. Yet if she simply left, he would continue to perpetrate this extreme evil. She nailed him again with her Ghostly Chill, just to be sure he stayed down. She wasn't going to take any chances.

She stood there and stared at him for a long while, just wrestling with her choice. It was a futile struggle really, as she knew pretty much right away what she had to do. The time was spent convincing herself she 'could' do it. It was during this mental struggle that she discovered a few more of her cantrip magics, as the room glowered from her mood, and as she got closer to her resolve, her eyes started to burn and her hands started to crackle with red arcane lightning.

As her resolve to do what needed to be done reached its fruition, she invoked the Charm of Making once again to catalyze her Arcane Lightning, "Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis ’s bethad, do chél dénmha!"

A red lightning bolt erupted from her hands and with one fell stroke, killed the monster as he lay. He would harm no more.

Morgana searched the house, in case there were any other kids he had kidnapped still there and alive. She found none. She resolved to hide the evidence of how this monster died by setting fire to the house. She'd already ascertained it was in the middle of nowhere.

Not more than a couple of hours had passed in the evening since she's been taken. The carnival would be in operation for a few more still. They didn't drive so far she couldn't maybe see the carnival lights from a height. This one she had done before, I mean what child wouldn't learn to fly first and foremost. The "Wings of Aether" bore her aloft. She had to fly quite high up to see more than the occasional street lamp, but soon enough fortune shone upon her, and she did indeed see the telltale light shape of the carnival's Ferris wheel.

She flew home while pondering what she should say, or if she should say anything at all. She knew now that she could take care of herself. She feared though that her mother might overreact and seek to curtail her freedom so as to "keep her safe". In the end, she resolved to say nothing. No one would know that this night, she had killed someone. She knew she had done the right thing, and as long as no one knew, there would be no consequence.

She slept soundly that night. Her demons were already defeated that day.

• 2 weeks later...

"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis ’s bethad, do chél dénmha!"

How did you decide how to spell that? Any idea what it's meant to mean, or if it was a RL language?

...hm... wild gues: Welsh...

google translate says:

"Breath of a snake, in your death and beast, your bald back!"

wow I'd been wondering about that since junior high