Can martial arts maneuvers be improved?

mobulis

Question

On pg 94 of the martial arts book it gives point costs to build maneuvers. Now I build a  maneuver which has +2 OCV and +1 DCV, this costs 3 points now since the maximum amount of points a maneuver can have is 5 can I buy 2 more points of elements to the maneuver with exp or must I buy a whole new  maneuver?

4 answers to this question

Generally up to the GM, but I'd personally say that you would need to purchase a new Maneuver.  Martial Maneuvers are meant to represent a specific movement and not something that you build on over time (by adding different elements to the Maneuver)....so a particular Martial Art may have multiple forms of Strike, representing more and more advanced knowledge within the art.

The canon from Hero System Martial Arts (6th), pg 92 as my PDF runs, is written in such a way that each maneuver is very specific and locked in, and new maneuvers should be purchased rather than existing ones altered, creating the need for multiple maneuvers to develop a well rounded martial arts style for a given character, school, etc.

This is reinforced by the structure, explaining how each maneuver is built and the thoughtfulness required to get it right. It represents a set ”object,” that is purchased by the character but exists on its own as part of the martial art.

While the GM may overrule and allow a maneuver to be modified, the structure is that they would instead purchase a new ability.

It's also backed in HSMA with the 'hierarchy' of movements, from beginner to expert.  Mind, there are some martial arts styles/templates that jump straight to the intermediate and expert maneuvers.  Kung Fu has no Basic Strike or Defensive Block;  Punch is a martial punch, Block is a martial block.  

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It's also backed in HSMA with the 'hierarchy' of movements, from beginner to expert.  Mind, there are some martial arts styles/templates that jump straight to the intermediate and expert maneuvers.  Kung Fu has no Basic Strike or Defensive Block;  Punch is a martial punch, Block is a martial block.  

I wouldn’t use this as evidence since the hierarchy is an optional rule. However what I would do as a GM (as I figure most would) would to sell back your old maneuver and buy the newer one. Or if the GM has HSMA, allow you to create a custom maneuver.