You'll be Mesmerized!

In the vein of MMORPGs everywhere and their concepts of mesmerizing effects - holds, charms, sleeps, immobilize, taunts, fears, confuses and more, I wanted to create a single power to encompass and duplicate those effects, with a single concise set of rules.  Yes, there's a lot of overlap with Entangle, that might need to be addressed.  Yes, I read Steve Long's PDF of Control Powers but didn't like its reliance on absolute effects.  No, it hasn't yet been playtested; you're welcome to if you want to.  In fact I'd like opinions and comments.

Mesmerize: The mesmerize power is used to alter a target's ability to move or to attack.  Mesmerize is an Instant power with lasting effects, is Ranged and requires a successful attack roll to hit its target.  It costs 5 Active points per d6 of effect against Movement or against Attacks; this can be combined to 10 Active Points per d6 to affect both.  The target's Power Defense applies, and if the remaining effect exceeds the target's BODY, they are Mesmerized.  
    On their phase, a Mesmerized character rolls BODY/5 d6 and reduces the level of effect in the Mesmerize by this amount; the effect ends when the effect is reduced to zero or less.  A Mesmerize can also be countered by an appropriate Healing ability.

Forced: Often called Taunt, Fear or Charm, this effect requires the target to use their Full Phase actions as specified by the attack.  The details of a Forced effect are specified when the power is first created and cannot be changed.  A target can be specified not to move or not attack, this is often called a Hold, Immobilize or Placate.  Other possibilities include coming closer to fight the attacker, full movement away, attacking the closest character (ally or enemy), preventing movement in a given direction or preventing attack of a specific target.  
    Random: Often called a Confuse or Disorient, this effect allows the target some choice in their actions but with unexpected results.  Random movement can be determined by rolling a d6 for direction when turn mode allows.  Random attacks treat all possible targets equally - friend, foe or bystander.  [I'm debating giving Random effects a -1/2 limitation.]

Reduce: Often called a Slow, this effect is applied as a Suppress equal to the effect rolled, affecting all the target's movement or their Speed.  [I'm debating giving Slow effects a -1/2 limitation.]

Other effects such as altering the perception of who is an ally and who is an enemy, or suppressing other characteristics may sometimes be considered Mesmerize powers.  At the GM's option, they may be allowed, but such effects should never be more powerful than using the appropriate powers.

My first thought is to pay 60 points for 12d6.  At an average roll of 42, I am guessing I will exceed Power Defense + BOD of virtually all targets, who now cannot attack ("Placate").  This leads me to think the base should be 10 points per d6, with "only attacks" or "only movement" being a -1 limitation.

I'm not sure this is superior to using the Entangle rules  to create an effect that prevents attacking or movement, a Mind Control construct, or even a Change Environment (e.g. target must make a X roll when attacking or select a target at random).

The first three effects can be handled easily under Mind Control. Your breakout method can be switched to EGO/5 .

The slow is a Drain or Suppress vs SPD and Movement Powers

This is all fairly straight forward Hero. The only changes would be your recovery methods(an excellent approach to MMO simulation btw) and whether it would be an advantage or limitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Hugh.  At 5 points per d6, it seems awful cheap for the potential effect.  60 points for 6d6 gives an average roll of 21 - enough to mesmerize  your typical 10-15 BODY person for a while, if they have to roll 2-3d6 each Phase to get the effect down to 0 to break free.

Out of curiosity, why have it go against BODY?  It seems different types of mesmerize could go against various characteristics:

• Charm or Placate against EGO
  • Sleep against CON
  • Confuse against INT
  • Taunt against PRE
  • Hold against STR
  • Disorient against INT or DEX

Taunt also seems suited to going against Ego,  and SFX could change others (e.g. is sleep an actual exhaustion effect, or a mental compulsion).  I definitely agree BOD seems inappropriate for many uses.  Is a slow-witted Giant less likely to be confused than a quick-witted Sprite?

Why not drain the appropriate STAT?  A character with 0 DEX, or EGO must make an appropriate roll to perform an action.  0 DEX only affects physical actions, but EGO covers doing anything.  0 PRE prevents you from performing any offensive action.  

5 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Why not drain the appropriate STAT?  A character with 0 DEX, or EGO must make an appropriate roll to perform an action.  0 DEX only affects physical actions, but EGO covers doing anything.  0 PRE prevents you from performing any offensive action.  

Probably because it takes too long to recover and therefore break out.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, BoloOfEarth said:

I agree with Hugh.  At 5 points per d6, it seems awful cheap for the potential effect.  60 points for 6d6 gives an average roll of 21 - enough to mesmerize  your typical 10-15 BODY person for a while, if they have to roll 2-3d6 each Phase to get the effect down to 0 to break free.

Out of curiosity, why have it go against BODY?  It seems different types of mesmerize could go against various characteristics:

• Charm or Placate against EGO
  • Sleep against CON
  • Confuse against INT
  • Taunt against PRE
  • Hold against STR
  • Disorient against INT or DEX

Fair call on the cost; I was looking mostly at middle values to simulate effects, not at abusability.  For now, taking Hugh's suggestion of 10/d6 and limitation.  Might go 5/d6 for Movement and 10/d6 for Attack.

For a lot of SFX, the target and their abilities has little to no effect on the duration.  I didn't want to make it EGO and a mental effect by default because that might stop people from thinking of any other SFX.

BODY tends to be similar in most games.  An Advantage or Limitation to change the affected stat is pretty obvious; maybe +1/2.  

Thanks for the thoughts, all.