Teen Champions Supervillains

Steve

It might be amusing to try and teen-ify existing villains.

Imagine a young genius who idolizes Dr. Destroyer (like a teen groupie version of Professor Muerte)? He could build himself a relatively low-level suit of power armor and go on a villainous rampage to take over the town the young heroes live in. Maybe a bit like a Bronze or Silver Age Lex Luthor in the old Superboy comics, so some Unluck is called for.

How about Menton’s young niece who wants to be just like her uncle someday? Her plans tend to fail because she keeps getting distracted by cute boys.

Or maybe a robotic soldier in Mechanon’s forces who has faulty programming, recurring amnesia and relatively weak armament?

How would you teen-ify other existing supervillains?

32 minutes ago, Steve said:

Imagine a young genius who idolizes Dr. Destroyer (like a teen groupie version of Professor Muerte)? He could build himself a relatively low-level suit of power armor and go on a villainous rampage to take over the town the young heroes live in. Maybe a bit like a Bronze or Silver Age Lex Luthor in the old Superboy comics, so some Unluck is called for.

How about Menton’s young niece who wants to be just like her uncle someday? Her plans tend to fail because she keeps getting distracted by cute boys.

Or maybe a robotic soldier in Mechanon’s forces who has faulty programming, recurring amnesia and relatively weak armament?

"Fox Brat" clames to be a teenage cross gendered clone of Foxbat. She sees herself as a sort of princess, has her own modified pingpong ball gun, and a supervillain disguise of a tacky prom dress, a Foxbat style mask with areas to expose her hair, and a belt holster for her gun. She is a bratty princess. A weird bratty princess. 

Tailsman has 'adopted' a talented teenage girl from a magical dimension which caught her eye. She has some knowledge of darkness, fire, lighting, and ice spells, and Tailsman plans on teaching her more. She has taken the name Darkwalk, explaining that it fits her current situation perfectly (as she describes herself as a "Walker On The Path of Darkness").

Created by Telos is Malachite. Malachite is a teenage clone of Telos, created as an experment and to quell his curiosity about what the 'perfect spawn' would be like. Malachite enjoys experimenting with evolution and genetic changing. Malachite even experiments with itself. He has been male and female at different times in the recent past, and has even made himself become humanoid animals. He also robs banks, cause Science! can't fund itself after all. 

3 hours ago, dsatow said:

I think one of the best location ideas is from Urusai Yatsura is the school where just about everything seems to happen (all because of Ataru's massive unluck).  Spirits, aliens, magic, tech, etc.  Of course, that might be a bit too zany for some games/players.

Well, Ataru usually brings the problems on to himself, mostly because he is both stupid and a pervert.

A teen 'villain' based on Ataru might be interesting. He has a harem of superpowered girls all wanting to be "The One", and willing to do anything for him, ordered or perceived.  This is "bad luck" turned upon his head.

35 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Well, Ataru usually brings the problems on to himself, mostly because he is both stupid and a pervert.

A teen 'villain' based on Ataru might be interesting. He has a harem of superpowered girls all wanting to be "The One", and willing to do anything for him, ordered or perceived.  This is "bad luck" turned upon his head.

Fox Brat could be one of them.  She's the rather snooty daughter of wealthy parents who are always away somewhere, leaving her in the care of their kind-hearted housekeeper.  One night, our snooty teen discovers the entrance to Foxbat's lair and, somehow, downloads his memories and personality into her brain.

Now, I have to think up a few more.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

To Love Ru anyone?

Time-travelling teens arrive from the future to invite the group to join the League of Super-Dudes. 

Being a member of the LSD includes perks such as getting a flight ring, living in the future, and having lots of groupies. 

The group takes the medicine to protect their bodies from the ravages of time, enter the time bubble, and they're off to the future.

After an indeterminate amount of time adventuring in the future, the group discovers that they really just been high on a hallucinogenic drug for a very long time.

Your call on whether their adventures with the LSD have all taken place completely in their minds or if they've gallivanted all over the city while fighting "future-villains". 

On 7/30/2020 at 1:22 AM, Steve said:

One of the PCs in my game is the "son" of Mechanon and the Engineer, after one of their fights did weird things to one of the Droids in Mechanon's base.  He has some parental issues.

I'm seriously kicking around doing "FoxBat Beyond".  FoxBat has been Fox-Batting for years, is pushing 50, and after developing shin-splints decided it's time to pass on the Ping-Pong gun to a worthy heir.  He stages a loud and ridiculous death, and then a few months later "FoxBat Beyond" shows up, clearly getting prompts on his villain speeches and spending half his time arguing with someone over his earpiece.  Meanwhile one of the students the PCs know at school starts looking tired all the time & has weird bruises in the locker room.  He also starts citing old episodes of "Omegas" as historical documentaries.  Is he being abused at home?  No, his new job as a personal assistant to Mr. Foswell involves a *lot* of extraordinary service.

For "Old" Foxbat  I'm picturing a cross between Julio Scoundrel from Order of the Stick, someone roleplaying a wise mentor but who is really just spouting fortune cookie koans, and someone playing an MMO.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:20 PM, steriaca said:

While I'm not sure if she's a villain, we could add a 20th century version of Xena, with the same weapons and armor and substituting him for Gabrielle.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:27 PM, archer said:

To Love Ru anyone?

On 7/30/2020 at 2:28 PM, steriaca said:

I herd of it, but have not yet seen it.

The one episode I saw was so dang gratuitous that it turned me off. If I were a teenage boy, I'd probably have loved it because it WAS so gratuitous.

You could have an expy of Lum as a sort-of-bad girl. TV Starfire is a perfect example, displaying many Lum-like qualities (unfamiliarity with how things work on Earth, an imprecise grasp of English, literal-mindedness on occasion, and a reciprocated crush on Robin that will likely develop into something deeper).

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The one episode I saw was so dang gratuitous that it turned me off. If I were a teenage boy, I'd probably have loved it because it WAS so gratuitous.

You could have an expy of Lum as a sort-of-bad girl. TV Starfire is a perfect example, displaying many Lum-like qualities (unfamiliarity with how things work on Earth, an imprecise grasp of English, literal-mindedness on occasion, and a reciprocated crush on Robin that will likely develop into something deeper).

Considering Starfire was one of many people Richard "Dick" Greyson tapped, both men and women...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anaximander said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but villains based on hip culture seems to be popular in teen based hero groups.  I'm not too up on modern teen hip culture, but how about Social Medium, a magic using villain who uses social media platforms to control the minds of victims.

Isn't that just a re-skinning of Mark Zuckerberg? ;) 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, carmachu said:

What exactly is generation viper?

On 8/20/2020 at 12:51 AM, steriaca said:

VIPER's group of teenager criminals with superpowers. 

A VIPER project to raise and train a new generation of supers to be loyal to and serve it. A kind of distorted reflection of Ravenswood Academy, the Champions Universe's school for young supers. Both of those are detailed in the Teen Champions source book.

20 hours ago, Anaximander said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but villains based on hip culture seems to be popular in teen based hero groups.  I'm not too up on modern teen hip culture, but how about Social Medium, a magic using villain who uses social media platforms to control the minds of victims.

Another thing about Social Media is some Youtubers video do outrageous stunts for likes. So the Teen Villains do flashy crimes to take videos of themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A fun bit I've used is the future supervillains are your Teen Heroes' classmates, or perhaps are all in the class across the hall, on the Supervillain Track instead of the Hero Track, but School is Neutral Ground..  You can't beat them up at school, but have to deal with them some other way -- Skills, good Role Play, clever thinking.

One existing character who should be a challenge to a Teen Team is Icicle.  She's about their age (18), has a challenging powerset, but isn't too tough to take down once you figure out her tricks.

Inspired 100% by Ninja-Bear a few posts up, A pair of "villains" showed up in my last few Teen Champions sessions: "Mista Finsta" and "The GOAT" (Greatest Of All Time).
They are a pair of 15 year old mutants that are using their powers to become internet stars.  They are social media influencer wannabes that are committing very splashy crimes and posting them online for the attention.  They haven't taken anything expensive and no one has gotten hurt (yet) so they are low on the authorities priority lists, but their antics have spilled over into the personal lives of my PCs.
Mista Finsta is a teen-hero level speedster with some social media skills, and is honestly the brains of the operation, but is totally over-awed by his partner
The GOAT (not Goat, The GOAT!) believes he is the best at everything he does, and his powers have even fooled him into thinking that's true.

Mista Finsta is a pretty generic speedster and I'm basically re-using El Salto's stats from the 5th edition Ultimate Speedster with all powers being "Speed" themed, dropping the Skill Levels (a no-no for most Teens), a couple DCs and with a few other numbers tweaked.
Here are my stats for The GOAT

The GOAT
Izan Soto

VAL    CHA    Cost    Roll    Notes
10    STR    0    11- / 19-    HTH Damage 2d6/10d6  END [1]
10    DEX    0    11- / 14-
10    CON    0    11- / 15-
10    INT    0    11- / 13-    PER Roll 11-/13-
10    EGO    0    11- / 14-
10    PRE    0    11- / 14-    PRE Attack: 2d6 / 5d6
6    OCV    15
6    DCV    15
3    OMCV    0
6    DMCV    9
5    SPD    30    Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12/2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
11    PD    6    11/31 PD (3/23 rPD)
11    ED    6    11/31 ED (3/23 rED)
8    REC    4
40    END    4
15    BODY    5    
40    STUN    10

Movement    Cost    Meters    Notes
RUNNING    0    12m/27m,/48m/108m    END [1]
SWIMMING    0    4m/13m/16m/52m    END [1]
LEAPING    0    4m/13m    4m/13m forward, 2m/6 1/2m upward

Characteristics Total: 104

Cost    Powers
121    The Greatest: Multipower, 121-point reserve
4f    1)  No Beam can Burn me: Damage Negation (-4 DCs Physical, -4 DCs Energy)
4f    2)  No Blades can cut me: Resistant Protection (13 PD/13 ED)
4f    3)  The Fastest: Running +15m (12m/27m total), x4 Noncombat plus Swimming +9m (4m/13m total) (x4 Noncombat) plus Leaping +9m (4m/13m forward, 2m/6 1/2m upward) (x4 Noncombat)
4f    4)  The Quickest: +15 DEX plus +1 SPD
4f    5)  The Smartest: +10 INT plus +15 EGO plus +15 PRE
4f    6)  The Strongest: +40 STR
4f    7)  The Toughest: +20 CON plus Resistant Protection (7 PD/7 ED)

10    It all works out for me: Luck 2d6 - END=0

Powers Total: 159

Cost    Skills
0    AK: Horizen City 8-
3    Acrobatics 11- (14-)
0    Acting 8-
3    Climbing 11- (14-)
0    Climbing 8-
0    Concealment 8-
0    Conversation 8-
5    Cramming
0    Deduction 8-
0    Language (idiomatic; Everyman, literate)
1    PS: Internet Personality 8-
0    Persuasion 8-
0    Shadowing 8-
0    Stealth 8-
3    Streetwise 11- (14-)
3    Teamwork 11- (14-)

Skills Total: 18

Cost    Perks
2    Positive Reputation:  Hardcore Online Star (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +2/+2d6

Perks Total: 2

Cost    Talents
6    Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Talents Total: 6

Value    Complications
10    Distinctive Features:  Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Technology Or Major Effort)
5    Psychological Complication:  Doesn't understand his own powers (Uncommon; Moderate)
15    Psychological Complication:  Truely believes he is Unparalleled (Common; Strong)
5    Rivalry:  Professional (Anyone known for physical ability; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
20    Vulnerability:  2 x Effect Attacks affecting the Metabolism (including most drains) (Common)

Complications Points: 55

Base Points: 300
Experience: 0
Experience Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 289

Background: Izan like to maintain an image as a hardcore, street smart, man of action.  In actuality, he grew up in a posh suburb of Horizen city with his middle class parents and 2 younger sisters.  Already obsessed with the personas and lifestyles of Online Influencers, he now feels like it's his obvious route to the money and fame that will inevitably follow his physical and mental "perfection".  He quickly made friends with another aspiring Teen internet personality in the person of Mista Finsta and the two of them are sure that the next stunt will be the one that makes them go Viral!

Personality: Ivan feels like the development of his powers was the day his ship came in.  He truly believes that he is in fact the best at everything.  Compared to most people his age, he is and he has never really thought through the implications of his abilities.  When encountering Teen Heroes he will present himself as totally out-classing them.  Initially, it will look like he does.  He is in deep denial that this powers only allow himself to be good at some things part of the time and that even at his best he can't compete with top tier superhumans.  So far he has only tangled with normals and other teens like himself and tends to spout off whenever he runs into someone known for prodigious physical ability.  If attacked in multiple ways (like someone testing his ED while he is focusing on Speed and Power) he will complain bitterly of cheating and retreat rather than deal with "whiners"
It isn't so much that he is greedy for wealth or fame, he just assumes they are the next thing on the plate for him now that he is the the most perfect specimen of Man there is.  The world won't deny him for long.  Ivan isn't a murderer, and isn't even particularly cruel, but his raging egomania tends to make him hard to be around. 

Quote: "I know people think you are something, and you probably even think so too, but *I'm* THE GOAT and I'll be showing you your place!

Powers: Izan has the ability to boost his physical attributes to superhuman level. He can be strong and bulletproof, or fast and smart, or strong and smart, but cannot keep more than a couple of his attributes raised at any given time.  Mechanically, he can keep three slots in his multipower running at a time and shifts them frequently to give him the ability to make whatever flashy display he wants.  In a Teen Hero setting, his boosted abilities should match or exceed most Teen Heroes who emphasize them.  (Teen Hero Bricks tend to top out at around 40 STR, and he goes to 50 for example).  Initially, it really should seem like he can out-perform everyone.
His stat-boosting is an instinctive action on Ivan's part and he isn't fully aware he is doing it.  He just knows when he wants to be strong, he is, and when he wants to outrun someone, he can.  If he knows himself to be in danger he even instinctively aborts to turning on his resistant defenses.
So far, Izan has rationalized away the times he has been caught with Multipower set incorrectly to deal with a situation.  He truly believes others were cheating or that he didn't care enough about something to try.   When the day comes that he challenges someone that just plain outclasses him in an obvious way his world view will shatter (assuming he survives)