Need a name for a Mystic super villain

chall

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking for name for a solo mystic super villain who is  Wiccan. She's female and is an anti-hero in the mold of Lady Blue, Vixen or DC's Catwoman.  Thief with a good heart,has minor mystical powers, uses teleport spelll to break in and steal items but uses some of the money for orphans, homeless, ect.  Obvious code vs. killing. She's meant as a possible romantic interest for a PC but I am having trouble coming up with a fitting name. The campaign is going to be either Dark Champions or Champions, The players haven't decided yet. If it's champions she would not be such a minor mystic. 

You could call her Hecate, after the ancient goddess of magic, witchcraft, and all sorts of other things.  While thought to be a Greek goddess, it is believed her worship predates the Olympian pantheon, and according to the Oxford Classic Dictionary--

…outlandish in her infernal aspects, she is more at home on the fringes than in the centre of Greek polytheism. Intrinsically ambivalent and polymorphous, she straddles conventional boundaries and eludes definition. 

The way I see it, the goddess is open to interpretation as to her her aspects, especially by your character, who could easily give her a feminist interpretation.  Her teleport ability could be associated with Hecate's role as the goddess of doorways.

Here's a few links about the goddess.  Hope that helps.

Hecate At Britannica

Hecate At Greek Mythology

13 Ways To Work With Hecate

Hecate At Ancient History Encyclopedia

That's fair. Hecate is often associated with the pre-Olympian "triple goddess," -- child, woman, crone -- representing the cycle of life. She's also a goddess of the phases of the moon, dark, waxing, and waning, thematically similar. Those same qualities are attributed to the Goddess, the feminine part of the duality of deities from the root theology of Wicca.

Hecate was also the goddess of the crossroads, the place where three roads meet (continuing the motifs above). Given your character's teleportation ability and grey morality, I'm thinking Crossroad might be an appropriate name.

Hekate is probably related to other "mother goddesses" like Ishtar, Isis, and Kali, whom the Greeks incorporated into heathen worship, and whom became ambivalent, sorcerous or even diabolic figures in Greek society.

The name Solitaire fits, but is variously taken.

She sounds honestly more like Hermes or Coyote than a forbidding goddess.

You could pick something just generally Wiccan-themed: Tryptich, Harvest Moon, New Moon.

Something shadowy: Dusk, Darkling, Umbra.

Some of the best comic book mages have code names based on their real names.  Dr. Strange,  Zatanna,  Agatha Harkness, John Consindine,  Jason Blood,  Madame Xanadu  etc.   Maybe thinking in that direction might give you some ideas.

On the other hand...it is a foolish thief who gives away any clue to their abilities.   Perhaps a name not at all connected to her magical ability. Maybe one that the authorities or criminal underworld has hung on her.  Ghost, Cat and Phantom are all classic if overdone.
 A name based on her motives might work.  Locksley or Marian based on Robin Hood. If her targets of choice are “bad guys” themselves in one way or other. Nemesis could do.

If all else fails remember Hermes/Mercury was the patron of both Mages and Thieves.

Good luck, let us know what you went with.

I like Hekate especially.  It's just a tad more subtle than Hecate, but either will get across that this is not an entirely nice person.  

Another possibility is Lachesis, the Fate who measures the threads.

Last possibility:  Tisiphone.  One of the Furies, but she is the Avenger.  From what you describe, that might be a strong connection for this character.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

I like Hekate especially.  It's just a tad more subtle than Hecate, but either will get across that this is not an entirely nice person.  

Another possibility is Lachesis, the Fate who measures the threads.

Last possibility:  Tisiphone.  One of the Furies, but she is the Avenger.  From what you describe, that might be a strong connection for this character.

Hmm... seems we're getting rather darker than chall's outline of his character would imply. Also rather literally mythological -- this character may be magic, but it's still comic-book magic. ;)

How about Gremlin? Supernatural, mischievous, makes things go haywire.

Got to get to work, but  a BIG thank you to everyone who posted an idea so far. It's helped me start to get a better idea on a name or at least a better thought process. I like the symbology of Hecate/Hekate or Hermes/Mercury but the character I am envisioning wouldn't take the name of a goddess.  She wouldn't want to offend the goddess.  Even though that would be a good plot...  my original idea was she didn't give herself the name but the local news/news paper did.  Thanks for all the ideas I'm going to look through them all when I get off work. 

2 hours ago, chall said:

Got to get to work, but  a BIG thank you to everyone who posted an idea so far. It's helped me start to get a better idea on a name or at least a better thought process. I like the symbology of Hecate/Hekate or Hermes/Mercury but the character I am envisioning wouldn't take the name of a goddess.  She wouldn't want to offend the goddess.  Even though that would be a good plot...  my original idea was she didn't give herself the name but the local news/news paper did.  Thanks for all the ideas I'm going to look through them all when I get off work. 

Oh, if Hermes/Mercury symbology works for you, how about Talaria? That's the name of the winged sandals worn by the god. I realize the press would never come up with a name like that, but it implies extraordinary travel, the magic and trickster aspects of Hermes, and it sounds feminine.

2 hours ago, chall said:

If the media gave her the name, it would probably be the, "[adjective] Witch" or the, "[adjective] Sorceress."

6 hours ago, Greywind said:

Mystic

Imp

The Red Cap is a murdering goblin that soaks his cap in the blood of his kills.

And?

Villain.....

His original examples had an assassin, a theif and I don't remember Lady Blue in comics. 

All we know is a villain with mystical/wiccan flavor that could be an assassin or a theif or a who knows.

1 hour ago, wcw43921 said:

He also said the character had a Code VS Killing.  Not an assassin.

Miss memories.

No. Not a name of a mystic criminal. Just who scrambles your abilities to remember details like a Code vs Killing.

The perfect name would be something without mystical conditions at all. Becaus I don't see her revealing that her powers are magical at all. Besides, while everyone in a superhero universe knows that magic is real-ish, not everyone know about the arts arcane.

What does that leave us? Generic thief names like Shadow and Five Finger Discounter.

Prehaps if we know exactly what she is geared up to steal.

Prehaps something to do with museums .

The Artifacter.

Heirloom.

Display.

Still not an objection.

Villains names are supposed to be intimidating.  Plus if you use an assassin as an example of character type, well....

There have been many characters in comics and books with names that are darker in legend than the characters are in practice. 

Without more details of which actual option the character is, I stuck with something that could be tied back to mystical/wiccan.  Which would be old pagan'ish religion. 

The only Wiccans I know follow a decidedly Celtic path.  There are others but this is the one I have been exposed to. 

But, I out.  I'm sure the OP will obey your commands.

ok, again thanks for all the suggestions. Read through them. I'm looking for something mystical. There are different types of wiccans from what I've been told. I think I'm going to go with my original idea with a twist from the suggestions.

6 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

If the media gave her the name, it would probably be the, "[adjective] Witch" or the, "[adjective] Sorceress."

I thought of that but thinking it through with the suggestions- She has a series of crimes, all alluded  to the heroes in their previous adventures. The heist that gets the players involved is of a visiting display at a museum. In an interview the curator, who is familiar with  Greek mythology, says the video tape caught a mysterious women just appearing then disappearing like a "modern day Hecate." The media runs with this quote. The anti-hero of course does not call herself this thinking herself more of the Grey Witch(not completely sold on this name), who is an actual follower of Danu. Hecate, the goddess, gets mad for the use of her name and sends the Erinyes (Furies) to punish the Grey Witch. The Erinyes arrive at a time the players,  one who has connections to Celtic mythology himself, has tracked down the Grey Witch/Hecate either at another heist or at her lair. What does do the players do? If they chooses to save her from the Erinyes then a possible romance could occur with one of the players. And how does she and the payer convince the goddess Hecate she didn't intentionally steal her name.  If they don't Hecate(the Goddess is pleased) but Danu could get mad. Throw in the Empusae as well as the true purpose of the artifact she stole from the museum for a patron and it should give several session worth of entertainment.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It helped to make a more entertaining story for the campaign!