Stats for Champions in Eclipse Comics?

fdw3773

Many years ago, I remember Eclipse Comics publishing Champions comic book series that featured Marksman, Flare, Icestar, Giant, Rose a.k.a. Psyche, and a small host of other heroes and villains featured in the early RPG versions. I recall one the interesting features was that at the end of the issue, a character writeup was featured with complete stats of a character from the series. 

Were these character stats ever published in a Hero Games product? If so, are they available as a PDF for purchase and download? I first got into Champions with third edition, and even though I picked up an old Champions sourcebook here and there from second edition (e.g. Champions II and III), I never came across a consolidated list of character writeups for them. By fourth edition and beyond, a different set of characters had been established (e.g. Defender, Quantum, Seeker, etc.)

The Guardians, as they were known, were only available as a playtest group and for the covers of 1st edition to 3rd edition. Stats were never published till Eclipse Comics did so. Once the split happened with Dennis Mahoney the stats were never published ever again. At least not Hero System stats 

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

The Guardians, as they were known, were only available as a playtest group and for the covers of 1st edition to 3rd edition. Stats were never published till Eclipse Comics did so. Once the split happened with Dennis Mahoney the stats were never published ever again. At least not Hero System stats 

I know for some time, Heroic Publishing had an area on their site dedicated to stats. Haven't seen it in their latest page, but you might be able to find it on the wayback machine or something.

17 minutes ago, Sketchpad said:

I know for some time, Heroic Publishing had an area on their site dedicated to stats. Haven't seen it in their latest page, but you might be able to find it on the wayback machine or something.

I believe they tried to publish a sourcebook using Kickstarter for Icons rpg system. But that failed. 

12 hours ago, steriaca said:

Thanks! That clarifies a lot. I remember seeing those characters featured on the cover and even some interior art, but I wasn't sure who was who at first.

5 minutes ago, Tjack said:

What would be the possibility of getting an “official” update of these characters in a new playbook.  Are all the rights still tied up? 

No. They are not tied up at all. They are in the hands of the character's creators. Since you have to talk to multiple people and somehow contact the dead in regards to Gargoyle, it is probably impossible. 

33 minutes ago, steriaca said:

No. They are not tied up at all. They are in the hands of the character's creators. Since you have to talk to multiple people and somehow contact the dead in regards to Gargoyle, it is probably impossible. 

That’s what I was referring to.  But I was trying to be circumspect because I wasn’t sure if all the original creators were on good terms. 

38 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

The ones that are still alive are. 

True. But individuals are individuals. Some might jump at a chance for a Guardians source book. Others might not want to see one. Still others want to write it themselves. 

I don't want to discourage you. But don't you think they did it already instead of waiting so long?

On 8/13/2020 at 3:20 PM, fdw3773 said:

Many years ago, I remember Eclipse Comics publishing Champions comic book series that featured Marksman, Flare, Icestar, Giant, Rose a.k.a. Psyche, and a small host of other heroes and villains featured in the early RPG versions. I recall one the interesting features was that at the end of the issue, a character writeup was featured with complete stats of a character from the series. 

Were these character stats ever published in a Hero Games product? If so, are they available as a PDF for purchase and download? I first got into Champions with third edition, and even though I picked up an old Champions sourcebook here and there from second edition (e.g. Champions II and III), I never came across a consolidated list of character writeups for them. By fourth edition and beyond, a different set of characters had been established (e.g. Defender, Quantum, Seeker, etc.)

On 8/14/2020 at 11:28 PM, Scott Ruggels said:

The ones that are still alive are. 

I like what you're doing fdw3773. I'll help out in any way I can. 👍