Star Trek (The Next Generation): Your favorite episodes?

Ragitsu

As for the issue of replicator viability...considering how large the universe is, humanity can easily solve the "energy" part of the equation with sufficiently advanced technology. All we have to do is avoid NBC annihilation, accelerated climate change and asteroids bouncing out of bounds long enough to reach that level of development.

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

There hasn't been a single mention of Guinan. No matter your feelings on Goldberg, she played a damn fine bartender.

There used to be a group of us that would dress is costume and go to the big nerdy movies together. We'd have dinner beforehand, play some trivia and other related games, and also have a costume contest.

When the Star Trek reboot came out, among the other entrants, there was an Orion dancing girl wearing full-body paint, and the jangly bikini!

My own costume was based on an old joke. I wore a sombrero and carried a baseball bat over each shoulder. I was...

Hide contents

The USS Enterprise.

Another guy had me beat on the comedy front, though.

He wore doctor's scrubs and a stethoscope, and also a big flat hat with dreadlocks. He was... 

Hide contents

The Guinan-cologist.

6 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

Without some friction, you don't have a show. We don't see the ninety-nine point ninety-nine percent of the time interspecies relations are functioning smoothly.

You are exactly right, and that is the point that the entire writers room made to Gene repeatedly.  Even pointing out to him that friction between characters like Spock and McCoy made the original series as great as it was.It was only after he stepped back from the day to day overseeing in later seasons that the writing got better. The series with the most interpersonal interaction, Deep Space Nine was in fact the best in the bunch.

But the basics of the perfect, moneyless, “more evolved” society were mandates from Gene in the very beginning of TOS.

8 hours ago, Tjack said:

The Federation’s economy is based on two things.  First is the assumption of a source of infinite free energy and the second is an infinite source of free goods (via replicator technology)

Incorrect interpretation on both assumptions.

First there was no assumption of infinite free energy.  The Federation was extremely efficient with energy, but repeated episodes revolved around the need to acquire or protect energy resources.  One example is the pergium in "Devil in the Dark".  There are others involving Dilithuim which was rare can could not be replicated.  

The second assumption of an infinite source of free goods.  You could replicate things as long as you had the requisite raw materials.  This came up several times in Voyager and I remember the grumbling of having to eat "ration packs" because the replicator material packs were exhausted.  

For a civilization having infinite free energy and infinite free goods, Starfleet spent an awful lot of time and energy responding to emergency needs for critical materials on Federation planets, colonies and outposts. 

No, Starfleet ships, stations and outposts enjoy a highly localized apparent infinite free energy and goods due to their design and mission.  Starfleet warfare relies extensively on energy based weapons and defense systems.  Having the power generation systems to meet the insanely high requirements means the availability of "effectively infinite" for normal day to day uses.  Starfleet ships are also the first responding search & rescue plus the major actors for disaster relief all in one package.  Their resources and material stores are always stocked. 

But the Federation as a whole?  Their various worlds/outposts constantly need assistance and relief.

Not to mention the not inconsiderable number of independent traders and freighters operating in the Federation.  In DS9 Sisco's romantic interest was a freighter captain that was emphatically "not Starfleet" who worried about meeting schedules and delivering cargoes.  Ignoring the idea of freighters and cargoes for a civilization that can simply replicate anything, no one would run cargo in a war-zone without pressing needs, like a paycheck to keep the freighter operating and crew paid. 

Roddenberry vision may have been a money-less universe of plenty. 

But the actual one that appears on screen is not that.

Starfleet may be that, but the Federation is not.

Terry Nation (creator of the Daleks, who considered putting them in Star Trek) believed the ST Federation would inevitably become a horrific, corrupt dictatorship and enslave the galaxy. This was part of the premise of Blakes 7, a series he created for the BBC that has an American cult following.

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Terry Nation (creator of the Daleks, who considered putting them in Star Trek) believed the ST Federation would inevitably become a horrific, corrupt dictatorship and enslave the galaxy. This was part of the premise of Blakes 7, a series he created for the BBC that has an American cult following.

There must have been a right-wing writer for Deep Space Nine: on that show, a Starfleet officer-turned-traitor basically calls The Federation worse than the Borg.

16 hours ago, archer said:

Coca-Cola probably went out of business in the Eugenics Wars, Colonel Green's reign, or during WWIII.

Or maybe later after Earth abandoned a currency-based economy. 

What you say is true, but I am sure someone preserved the recipe. In any case, featuring Coca-Cola on DS9 would have been a licensing issue and I am glad that regular televised Star Trek was exempt from product placement.

13 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

What you say is true, but I am sure someone preserved the recipe. In any case, featuring Coca-Cola on DS9 would have been a licensing issue and I am glad that regular televised Star Trek was exempt from product placement.

Legend has it that the formula has been hidden in a vault at the Sun Trust Bank in downtown Atlanta since 1925.

Maybe in the Star Trek timeline, the bank was taken out by a nuke. 

Or maybe, just maybe, that's how Colonel Green rose in the first place! A daring bank robbery gave him the secret formula for Coca-Cola and he used that to vault himself into power.

My God, it's a story worthy of Pinky and the Brain!

59 minutes ago, archer said:

Or maybe, just maybe, that's how Colonel Green rose in the first place! A daring bank robbery gave him the secret formula for Coca-Cola and he used that to vault himself into power.

They called him Green because he was really raking it in, huh?

1 hour ago, archer said:

Legend has it that the formula has been hidden in a vault at the Sun Trust Bank in downtown Atlanta since 1925.

Maybe in the Star Trek timeline, the bank was taken out by a nuke. 

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?