Star Trek (The Next Generation): Your favorite episodes?

Ragitsu

11 hours ago, dmjalund said:

I remember that Picard stated that he was "at his son's wedding"

I wonder who Spock married?

(Not T'Pring because 1) Picard wasn't born yet. 2) they never actually got married)

Maybe it wasn't Spock. Maybe Sarek adopted an orphan boy after Michael Burnham left.

"Sarek" was a great episode. The tragic fall of a mighty mind, and Picard's herculean effort to contain the powerful, roiling emotions of another man's tragic history because he was the only one with enough discipline to do it -- and nearly cracking under the strain.

Then there is "Yesterday's Enterprise", which gave the fanbase the story said fanbase thought they wanted (evil Klingons and a war in space) and showed it to be a horrifying nightmare. This wasn't the last time they would play with expectations. I wish we had seen more of Seela, but I suspect her failure to manipulate Spock intop doing her bidding was too much for her Romulan masters.

Speaking of Romulans, the episode with Hans Conried as a Romulan defector had a special power, to see a many greatest hopes turned against him. I don't remember the title of the episode.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:16 PM, Pariah said:

"Starship Mine" is basically the Star Trek version of "Die Hard". Naturally it's awesome.

(And now I'm hearing in my mind, "Now I have a phaser. Ho Ho Ho.")

It is a fun episode, but I'm increasingly viewing it as a bit of a guilty pleasure.

3 hours ago, Certified said:

While clearly not the best episodes,I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge any episode with  Howling Mad Barclay. I have this theory that you can take almost any Wesley Crusher episode and give it to Barclay and it gets better. Also, I trust, this cat knew how to "utilize" the holodeck. 😈

TNG] Hollow Pursuits - Let's Watch Star Trek

In the Voyager finale, Barclay has made a fortune as a sort of "holodeck novelist", creating experiences for others (apparently holodecks are also a civilian technology, and Barclay's ability to create new experiences for them is almost without peer). Whether that is the case in the timeline Janeway created by bringing the Voyager home twenty years early is unclear.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

In the Voyager finale, Barclay has made a fortune as a sort of "holodeck novelist", 

The concept of money and wealth is the single 'worst managed' thing there is in the ST universe.  One minute we eliminated money, the next we're 'selling' Tribbles.  The Ferengi prize wealth...but who do they sell and buy things from if all 'wealth' has been eliminated.  This idea seems to change from episode to episode and series to series.  :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The concept of money and wealth is the single 'worst managed' thing there is in the ST universe.  One minute we eliminated money, the next we're 'selling' Tribbles.  The Ferengi prize wealth...but who do they sell and buy things from if all 'wealth' has been eliminated.  This idea seems to change from episode to episode and series to series.  :rolleyes:

Anyone trying to sell me is in for a world of hurt.

Just saying.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

Wealth, as a goal to be pursued by individuals, has been explicitly eliminated in the Federation, at least across broader society. That doesn't mean the many alien civilizations in the galaxy can't still employ the concept.

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Anyone trying to sell me is in for a world of hurt.

Just saying.

What are you gonna do, breed all over us?  :nya:

On 8/21/2020 at 3:47 PM, Starlord said:

The best interpretation is that, within The Federation, essentials - shelter, nutrition, communication, healthcare, education, transportation, et cetera - are all free. If you desire a luxury or a specific occupation, you have to seek it or work for it. When it comes to interacting with non-Federation species, the Federation allots its citizens (or Starfleet members) a stipend of intergalactic credits that can be used for trade. With this system in place, the overwhelming majority of economic conflict is external.

Needless to say, I DEFINITELY prefer what they're doing over our bog standard capitalism.

36 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

My greatest hits list for TNG would include "Q Who?" "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Best of Both Worlds," its follow-up "Family," "Qpid," "Time's Arrow," and "Phantasms."

Would we be in agreement that "Sub Rosa" was the worst?

At least "Sub Rosa" has Beverly Crusher in the driver's seat and is doing something different. "Shades of Grey" remains less enjoyable... it is just a clip episode.

On 8/19/2020 at 8:46 AM, Pariah said:

"Starship Mine" is basically the Star Trek version of "Die Hard". Naturally it's awesome.

(And now I'm hearing in my mind, "Now I have a phaser. Ho Ho Ho.")

Yes and no. From Memory Alpha:

Although the episode is often compared to Die Hard, Morgan Gendel denies the connection. He commented, "I'm not going to talk about it as Die Hard. That's somebody else's work. It's an idea we've seen countless times: Under Siege, Passenger 57. What I liked was the element I had come up with of the captain going down with his ship, which was rejected as a notion in the 24th century. That was a strong line for me – a captain alone with his ship. My theory is that what Picard loved most was the Enterprise. I don't think the staff agreed with me. I think they thought it was too much of a 20th or 18th century concept, or Kirk." (Captains' Logs: The Unauthorized Complete Trek Voyages, p. 275)

Gendel did describe his pitch for the episode as "Die Hard on the Enterprise," however. ("TNG's The Inner Light: Behind the Scenes", Phoenix Comicon 2011)

18 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Would we be in agreement that "Sub Rosa" was the worst?

We would not. Bad as "Sub Rosa" was, I found "Justice" (where an alien race fails to execute Wesley Crusher for breaking a flower) and "Code of Honor" (where Tasha Yar was kidnapped in a Blaxploitation flick gone wrong) to be even worse. Frankly, much of the first season was pretty weak, and a lot of the episodes felt like recycled concepts from the original series. I feel like it was only in the third season that TNG began to find its own way.

YMMV, naturally.