Star Trek (The Next Generation): Your favorite episodes?

Ragitsu

12 hours ago, archer said:

Legend has it that the formula has been hidden in a vault at the Sun Trust Bank in downtown Atlanta since 1925.

Maybe in the Star Trek timeline, the bank was taken out by a nuke. 

Or maybe, just maybe, that's how Colonel Green rose in the first place! A daring bank robbery gave him the secret formula for Coca-Cola and he used that to vault himself into power.

My God, it's a story worthy of Pinky and the Brain!

They have to keep it locked up so Coca-Cola doesn't take over the world.

After all, since Pepsi was once one of the world's greatest naval powers, Coca-Cola would certainly take over the missile defense system.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Dr Crusher didn't get a lot of good episodes unfortunately.  Although, the one where eventually it's just her and Picard exploring the universe alone was decent.

I liked the one where they were escaping prisoners on a planet and gradually learned to read each other's minds enough that Crusher learned Picard didn't like her breakfast choices.

Dammit, we've got replicators. Just let me pick my own breakfast foods!

• 1 year later...

Looking past the new characters, the plots, the themes -- all of which disappoint me -- I think what disappoints me the most in the new Picard series is Patrick Stewart's performance. This has nothing to do with the effects of age, which I've seen him briefly transcend in the series, so I know he can. It's not even that past events wounded him, it's not like that hadn't happened before. It's that he doesn't behave like Picard, he behaves like Stewart. I've seen multiple interviews with Patrick Stewart, and his personal gentleness, his sentimentality, his gestures and body language, are what he's using in this role now. There's rarely a sign of Jean-Luc Picard's dignity, self-discipline, determination, passion. Whatever he's gone through in his life, the core of a man doesn't change that radically between his middle and late years.

29 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Plain and simple, I just don't like the tone/attitude of new "Star Trek".

Where Picard is concerned, I am absolutely in agreement. I finished the first season largely in fulfilment of the Sunk Cost fallacy. I have pretty much no interest in watching seasons two or three, regardless of what cameo appearances may be in play.

Discovery was pretty hard to watch for the first season, although the performances of Jason Isaacs and Michele Yeoh made me see it through to the end. Season two was better, though the heavy reliance on Spock's presence wasn't my favorite. Seasons three and four have felt a lot more like Star Trek to me. I've seen a lot of people online complain about how woke it is, but the original series was largely the same way (first interracial kiss on TV, remember?).

Strange New Worlds has a lot of potential, I think. I really liked Anson Mount as Captain Pike.

And I have really enjoyed the Paramount / Nickelodeon collaboration Star Trek: Prodigy. It had the right level of optimism and wonder to feel like it belongs in the pantheon, and the animation is gorgeous. More to the point, I've enjoyed watching the series with my kids, and my son (8) is on a trajectory to become a proper Trekkie. 

So I guess it's generally been positive for me, and Picard is easy enough to avoid.

8 minutes ago, Pariah said:

And I have really annoyed the Paramount / Nickelodeon collaboration Star Trek: Prodigy. It had the right level of optimism and wonder to feel like it belongs in the pantheon, and the animation is gorgeous. More to the point, I've enjoyed watching the series with my kids, and my son (8) is on a trajectory to become a proper Trekkie. 

I assume you mean enjoyed rather than annoyed.  :winkgrin: 

I found most of TNG rather forgettable. With a few, such as "Code of Honor" and "Sub Rosa," that I wish I could forget.

But I liked "Devil's Due" very much. Even after repeated meetings with Q, and presumably knowledge of all the super-aliens from TOS, Picard remains skeptical -- and cracks the fraud. Also good as an exploration of just what could be possible if some clever person put together the various technologies established in the setting.

I would like to have seen "Ardra" return in another episode.

I forget the name and I'm too lazy to look it up, but the episode in which an accident leaves the primitive vulcanoid villagers thinking Picard is God. So many times in TOS, the Prime Directive was brought up only so Kirk could explain why it didn't apply. Nice to see Picard take it seriously -- and show how far he'd go, and risk personally, to fix the damage and uphold the principle.

Dean Shomshak

On 8/16/2020 at 8:56 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Season One: 

The Neutral Zone- The Romulans brought back as major antagonist and a pre DS9 Marc Alaimo.

I just recently watched the scene reintroducing the Romulans. Brief and near the end of the episode, but the impact of how it was done was IMO everything a Trek fan could have hoped for. (And I wish the franchise had kept that musical theme for the Romulans.)