Star Trek (Voyager): What's the Best Episode?

archer

On 8/28/2020 at 7:06 AM, Pariah said:

The episode Demon (4th season) was interesting, if not immediately compelling. The crew find a Class Y ("Demon-class") planet and explore. They discover strange life-forms that can imitate their appearance and attributes. In the end, Janeway allows these organisms to copy anyone on the crew that will agree to it. First contact successfully complete, and on to next week's episode. 

Then there was the season 5 episode Course: Oblivion. Voyager is in more trouble than usual, which is saying something. Crew members are getting sick and the ship is malfunctioning, and both are getting worse. As Janeway & company search for answers, it is revealed that this isn't Voyager at all--it's the alien clones from Demon. They had decided to explore the universe themselves. As they realize that being away from their home planet is killing them, they turn around and try to make it back in time. They also try to create a time capsule to leave a record of their experiences in case they don't make it. Both efforts fail. The real Voyager arrives just after the nick of time, notes discovering some interesting material floating in space, and is on their way.

This callback to an episode more than a season earlier was one of Voyager's best stories.

I always get emotional with "Course: Oblivion". For whatever reason, Star Trek  handles episodes concerning mortality/the ephemeral nature of existence exceptionally well (see TNG's "Where Silence Has Lease" and ENT's "Similitude").

On 8/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, Pariah said:

I also enjoyed the episode Thirty Days, where Tom Paris spends a month in the brig for breaking orders.

Maybe this was a case of the writing failing to account for the show's limitations (or maybe it was simply a case of inconsistent/misinformed writing), but...I found the idea of an enlightened futuristic society still putting people in solitary confinement to be appalling. We - of this tumultuous early 21st century - recognize that solitary confinement is barbaric; how the hell does the near-utopia of the UFP (and, by extension, Starfleet) get away with continuing this ancient and draconian punishment?

1 minute ago, Ragitsu said:

Maybe this was a case of the writing failing to account for the show's limitations (or maybe it was simply a case of inconsistent/misinformed writing), but...I found the idea of an enlightened futuristic society still putting people in solitary confinement to be appalling. We - of this tumultuous early 21st century - recognize that solitary confinement is barbaric; how the hell does the near-utopia of the UFP (and, by extension, Starfleet) get away with continuing this ancient and draconian punishment?

The captain of the ship has 4 separate personalities?

Yeah, Janeway was a real victim of inconsistent writing. One episode she's telling a species "ever mess with us again and we'll take the gloves off and there will be no mercy" then... later on, different episode, same guys...and she's like "well gosh that wasn't nice. Naughty!"

Okay, not exact quotes, but the point is the scripts were all over the place and rarely did the character favors

On 8/21/2020 at 12:29 AM, archer said:

"Year of Hell" should have been the whole series rather than a two part episode.

A similar case has been made for "Equinox". Quite frankly, I don't want to watch Starfleet members behaving like a pack of jackals; DS9 (and a few episodes of ENT) was dark enough for me.

5 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Yeah, Janeway was a real victim of inconsistent writing. One episode she's telling a species "every mess with us again and we'll take the gloves off and there will be no mercy" then... later on, different episode, same guys...and she's like "well gosh that wasn't nice. Naughty!"

Okay, not exact quotes, but the point is the scripts were all over the place and rarely did the character favors

You might have been thinking of the Vidiians: organleggers in space!

4 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I'm sure virtually all of the complaints about the series stem from the writing, because on the whole, the cast were a group of very capable actors.

Yeah. The directors and writers had good actors and let half of them go to waste.

1 minute ago, Ragitsu said:

Jeri Ryan was (I assume) brought on for fanservice yet managed to turn in incredible performances.

I rather enjoyed her brief time in Leverage.

But then I love Leverage

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'm sure virtually all of the complaints about the series stem from the writing, because on the whole, the cast were a group of very capable actors.

On the whole, but...Robert Beltran, frankly, was a consistent disappointment. His character never grew beyond "foil to Janeway" and as an actor, I just don't think he's all that good.

8 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I think I read that somewhere in season two Robert Beltran became dissatisfied with his role. But rather than leave the show, he decided to keep showing up and collecting a paycheck.

There's nothing wrong with desiring steady employment. Anyhow, I think Beltran did well when the writers gave him something meaty to chew on.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

What does it mean when a Star Trek series starts to indulge in holodeck episodes?

That those episodes will all involve the most dangerous device in the Federation malfunctioning.  Seriously, at this point shouldn't the average Federation citizen look upon a Holodeck-user the way we look at Tide Pod eaters?  We have 'Florida Man' memes, they'd have 'Holodeck Guy' memes.