Really? Fires now?

Iuz the Evil

Most of western Washington now has air quality numbers in the radioactive zone ("Very unhealthy", or flat-out "Hazardous" without qualification).  Winds are out of the south and southeast, bringing the smoke from the Mt Hood National Forest fire up to us.  This probably lasts until sometime Sunday, when there's a chance rain will come in off the Pacific.

Not even Amazon is delivering groceries, and I really don't want to venture out unless it's to evacuate (and I'm far enough from the fires that that unlikely).

On the other hand, there's a lovely urban forest that I can see out of my window. One lightning strike or careless smoker then it's crisis mode.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I felt nauseous on the way to work today, and had a headache all day. Hope the air clears for tomorrow. Not great for us asthmatics.

You live with asthma?

13 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

On the other hand, there's a lovely urban forest that I can see out of my window. One lightning strike or careless smoker then it's crisis mode.

I wonder where the rain is hiding. Our weather - over the past five to ten years - has become increasingly unreliable.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, Ragitsu said:

I'd perform a rain dance, if the gesture would help.

I think you are supposed to use both gestures and incantation.

I'd run power cables from one of the nuclear power plants into the ocean in order to evaporate as much water as possible...but for some reason, the government never takes any of my plans seriously.

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

And my wife.

We can put a burrito on the moon, but we can't cure asthma. Anyhow, I wish you and your wife's lungs the best of luck.

--- --- ---

By the way (and this is a general question to all, not just to Pattern Ghost) if one's house is pretty well sealed up and the house's HVAC system is equipped with a good new filter, then the interior shouldn't suffer smoke damage...correct?

Right now Portland has a combination of fog and smoke, which means I'm seeing smog in Portland for the first time in a long while. Fortunately, it's supposed to rain this week which could be some help to the crews fighting to contain the fires. It supposedly will help clear some of this smoke, but the fog should continue all week.

I can;t wait to be able to go outside and breathe fresh air through my mask.

1 hour ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Right now Portland has a combination of fog and smoke, which means I'm seeing smog in Portland for the first time in a long while. Fortunately, it's supposed to rain this week which could be some help to the crews fighting to contain the fires. It supposedly will help clear some of this smoke, but the fog should continue all week.

I can;t wait to be able to go outside and breathe fresh air through my mask.

Nitrogen oxides, Sulphur oxides, and ozone are at least low, water should wash a lot of it out

32 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

California is supposed to have the worst air quality in the world right now. Small wonder my entire family hasn't been feeling well.

For the day concluding in a couple of hours, supposedly the three cities world-wide with the worst air quality are San Francisco, Portland OR, and Seattle.

This morning's weather forecast discussion said that the heavy smoke in western WA meant that the high temperatures were 5 to 10 F below what the computer models predicted (those seem not to include a smoke obscuration term).

Up here we're supposed to get some rain, perhaps, late in the day tomorrow, which with the accompanying onshore airflow hopefully will make a major difference.  Perhaps more importantly, it'll cut the "red flag conditions" and help get those fires under control or perhaps even put out.

All frivolity aside, I have been having trouble with the smoke. My room is almost sealed, all doors and windows closed almost all the time for days, and the air in here still smells like smoke. I've also had to be out a few times Monday and Tuesday for medical appointments, meaning I'v been outside breathing this stuff -- sometimes for half an hour or more at a time. Not by choice, mind you. I was actually locked out of a place where I picked up meds (the lobby was closed) and had a substantial wait until the return ride game to pick me up. It should not surprise anyone then that I've been sick for much of the day today. I'm not "catch me, I'm about to drop dead right now" level of sick, but not having fun either.

Sorry about that.