WWYCD: Time Travel 10-10-10

Pariah

Your character has been selected for the Time Travel 10-10-10 experience:

* They can travel back in time ten years (give or take).
* Once there, they can stay for up to ten hours--not a long time, but maybe enough to observe or even change the key events of a single day.
* They leave in ten days.

Do they do it? If so, where/when do they go, and why?

Lady Heart: S/he would reject going at all, as s/he haven't had her powers that long, and feels that s/he is needed against mystical threats in the here and now more than anything else. Also, s/he suspects it has something to do with a cell phone and a microwave oven. (A No Prize to anyone who gets that reference.)

John "Sunburn" Roberts: Might jump in if it would help his old team survive "The Battle of Detroit". But only if it was 10 years ago...

Paradox Timely: She has her own method of time traveling, thank you very much. She might sleep with a scientist or two to figure out how much they actually know about time travel and check in with the TED to see if this project is allowed.

8 hours ago, archer said:

Everyone keep in mind that mentioning offing the leader of the free world is verboten if you live in the US.

Though that might reduce the number of responses to this thread.

Archer beat me to the punch, now I have to think of something else.

Seriously, you may want to restrict the choices to non real-world events.  Otherwise this will just become a list of real world disasters.  You don’t want this thread devolving into arguments about which is worse, airplane crash A vs. terrorist event B.

But if it's campaign world, then who will really connect to whatever event someone else picks?  

Doesn't help that time travel is the one power I personally never, ever allow, without major provisos...you're a ghost in the time stream and can't interact at all, or the action of moving back creates an alternate dimension and separate time stream so, again, your actions cannot impact YOUR present.

C'mon archer, tho...offing?  Don't need to off anyone.  Embroil in a major scandal so his political aspirations can never gain ANY traction.  Think Gary Hart.  Trick would, of course, be finding the time and place...and have the right kind of power set, of course.

But...yeah, I can't offhand think of a single event that feels like it should rise to this level, in the last 10 years or so, barring trying to keep Trump out of office.  Mandalay Bay or Pulse or Parkland?  They're all horrific and tragic, but it's hard to say, as has been noted, whether any one is notably worse than another...unless a specific one has more personal meaning to you/your character.  

Cuz there is one I'd consider, setting aside my objections and saying I *could* act.  That would be the Kobe Bryant helicopter crash.  Not more important, but definitely more personally impactful.

On 8/24/2020 at 8:13 AM, steriaca said:

Lady Heart: S/he would reject going at all, as s/he haven't had her powers that long, and feels that s/he is needed against mystical threats in the here and now more than anything else. Also, s/he suspects it has something to do with a cell phone and a microwave oven. (A No Prize to anyone who gets that reference.)

Wasn't that from Ask Doctor Science? ("He has a Master's degree... in Science!")

I'm sorry to say I can't remember anything that happened in 2010. Some of my PCs might want to mitigate the covid-19 pandemic by encouraging virology research in the area, but I doubt 10 hours would be enough to set up anything useful.

Now, if it were 20 years some of my PCs might try preventing the 9-11 terrorist attacks. Prep bygathering a dossier of news reports from late 2000, early 2001, on unusual but not important events, and get them to Proper Authorities as proof that the 9-11 warning is valid. (Though Chrysaor would go looking for Mohammed Atta et al to deal with them directly. Being a god from the Greek mythic realm, he's a bit impulsive and prone to think he IS the Proper Authority.)

Dean Shomshak

Kurzhaan the Conqueror wouldn't particularly care about changing any events from last 10 years, but he'd take the trip to try and observe the energies involved in the time travel method, in the hope that it would eventually help him learn to make such trips on his own. He's displaced from the time just after the sinking of Atlantis, and he'd like to be able to go back and at least visit some of the people he left behind.

Earth Girl would leap at the chance to go back in time to avert the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in 2010. If possible, she'd also tell her own past self about future Amazon deforestation, which would not end well for future President Bolsonaro.

Super Model and Young Scratch would have little to no interest in making the trip.

Just for people not up on current events, but wikipedia lists major events for a lot of years.  For 2010 -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010

10 years from today, my characters would probably head to Christchurch, New Zealand to help prepare and the day of the earthquake disaster.  Except for my telepath (selfish self absorbed hero), who would just stay in LA and party.

Yeah, if the time window was extended back 20 years, then preventing or mitigating 9/11 would be the runaway choice, I suspect.  If nothing else, the fallback could well be "don't let the planes slam into the WTC."  That would be the easiest to accomplish, I suspect, as both are in the same basic area, and that's where the greatest overall loss of life occurred.

Moving back a bit further...prevent the explosion at the Murrah building in OKC would be popular.

Cool to go back through the big events.  If I were to pick one of those, it'd be the Deepwater Horizon.  The overall environmental damage from that is the most severe, and it seems like it's the one where a single hero might be able to prevent it completely.  Granted that fewer lives were lost directly, the indirect effects are what would drive me.  Lots of people suffered all around the Gulf from this.

22 hours ago, assault said:

Captain Wonder would travel back to prevent the thing that was prevented from happening by a previously unidentified time travelling superhero.

You know, that thing? It's in the history books, people.

So Capt. Wonder's the Dude dealing with the Thing... 😜

On 8/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, dsatow said:

Just for people not up on current events, but wikipedia lists major events for a lot of years.  For 2010 -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010

Looking over the list, I can't see any events that would impel Chrysaor to go back in time. As a hero, he is willing to defy the Fates... but as a scion of the Greek gods, he will not do so lightly. Especially after seeing the trouble caused by his teammate Emanon, whose powers all involved changing history. (Like when another teammate, Golden Bear, found that as a side effect of something Emanon did, his hippy-dippy sister Sunflower was now his supervillain arch-nemesis.)

Quake notices the various earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, but though his earth control powers are vast they don't operate on that scale. He can cause earthquakes, but not stop them. So he'd probably try to stop the Deepwater Horizon disaster (April 20), as the greatest help he can give using his powers.

Repaorman is a street hero with a trick gun and gadgets. He'd try to stop the May 20 robbery at the Musee d'Arte Moderne in Paris.

Morningstar's hell-spawned powers are not well suited to dealing with natural disasters, riots or airplane crashes. He'd probably go back to try stopping the May 28 Ahmadiyya Mosque massacre in Lahore, Pakistan, even though it means going on holy ground.

Dean Shomshak

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Citizens United, because the First Amendment was meant to protect individual freedoms nor corporate interests.

That sounds nice....but I have no idea who or what this group is.  Are you forming it, stopping it, buying them a cookie or what?

1 hour ago, Tjack said:

That sounds nice....but I have no idea who or what this group is.  Are you forming it, stopping it, buying them a cookie or what?

Citizens United is a fake political group which pre fabricates bills to bundle stuff together so that they can become laws without having the congressmen/repersenitives know exactly what they are signing into law.

I despair at the thought that the men & women we send to represent us have no idea what laws they’re creating.  I believe it, it just makes me unhappy.

At any rate, your character has gone back in time.  So what ‘cha gonna do now, Charlie Brown?  Kill founding members, track down the string-pullers providing the money, manufacture or discover a scandal to wreck the organization?  How and what are you going to do to pull this off?

7 hours ago, Tjack said:

I despair at the thought that the men & women we send to represent us have no idea what laws they’re creating.  I believe it, it just makes me unhappy.

At any rate, your character has gone back in time.  So what ‘cha gonna do now, Charlie Brown?  Kill founding members, track down the string-pullers providing the money, manufacture or discover a scandal to wreck the organization?  How and what are you going to do to pull this off?

Flip a couple of Supreme Court Justices.

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Flip a couple of Supreme Court Justices.

If you went back in time and killed Scalia, you picked the wrong year.

Anyway, the Citizens United case in the Supreme Court is not within the 10 year time window. It was decided in January 2010.

5 hours ago, archer said:

If you went back in time and killed Scalia, you picked the wrong year.

Anyway, the Citizens United case in the Supreme Court is not within the 10 year time window. It was decided in January 2010.

OP says 10 years more or less so all of 2010 is fair game. And it doesn't have to be by killing, My character( a world famous hero known for his moral compass) would just show the fence straddlers some of the abuses that the precedent has enabled telepathically and hope that they would change their votes.

3 minutes ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Departing from RW politics... Carver would probably research when the best surf conditions of the past 10 years were, and surf them, (He doesn't take this whole superhero thing very seriously.)

I spend a large portion of my day surfing.

It's on the internet, but it's still surfing.