The 2020-21 College Football Thread

Pariah

3 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

App State is legitimate. Michigan's administration were fools to schedule them thinking that was a cupcake given their prior performance. 

The better team won that game. 

I'd probably put Michigan #2 behind ND for most over-inflated program.  With a bullet...cuz they have Harebrain.  This is true, tho, of the entire conference;  they feel they're far more important nationally than they are.  Big 10 typically fields quite a few very good teams, but they don't reach greatness often.

It wasn't the admins' fault.  Remember, at that point, no Div I team (much less a power 5) had lost to a Div II, which is what App State was at the time.  I put more of the blame on the players and coaches for thinking all they had to do was show up.  

Who cares? This college football season confirms all I had feared about this year. 

Pandemic? Sure. Multiple disasters? Typical. Political nightmare beyond my life experience? Of course

But Oklahoma losing consecutive conference games to open the season 1-2 against K State and Iowa State?!?

These are truly the end times. 

From an article at CBS Sports:

"What, you thought beating the defending national champs with 600 yards passing was the full Mike Leach experience? Oh no. The full Mike Leach experience is beating the defending national champs with 600 yards passing and then losing to a program that hasn't won a conference game in nearly three full calendar years. That's exactly what happened with No. 16 Mississippi State dropping its second game of the year 21-14 to Arkansas. That's a lot for Bulldogs fans to take in over the course of a week, but if you wanted to know what a Leach-led team feels like, this is it."

I think it was Jesse Palmer that pointed out...defense is optional almost everywhere.

5 teams will score 38+...and lose.  The 4 OT OU/Texas total (98) will NOT be the highest-scoring;  UNC beat Va Tech 56-45, and Bama-Ole Miss is at 42 each with 11 minutes left, so 100+ seems fairly likely.

The speculation...no spring football for one, who knows how much coronavirus has distorted practice versus conditioning.  But A LOT of points being scored against teams we wouldn't expect.

Iuz, I had myself a nice chunk of tri-tip, dry rubbed a couple days ago, semi-slow cooked in a 275 oven for 30 minutes in a pre-heated, oiled, cast iron pan.  Managed to get one at a reasonable price.  I trust you approve....

My hatred is 100% channeled into political (*&U@#$!@%s...which are a dime a dozen.

And certain, related, idiots with no disregard for safety...the Florida coach was calling for a sold-out stadium...90,000 people for their game because the home field meant so much to A&M, who beat Florida.  Never mind the risk because you KNOW there won't be *that* great an adherence to masking rules.

10 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Mullen really put his foot in his mouth there. And he lacks observational math skills. Kyle Field only had 25K+ fans in a 100K+ stadium.

If you're going to have fans in the stadium at all, 25% capacity might be a sort of sweet spot in theory. You can sell seats in such a way that you can keep social distancing, rigorously enforce mask-wearing, and take other means to protect everyone. The problem is that students are usually very young and thus think they are invincible. Making clear the rules might well make it worse for them.

It's a sweet spot "in theory". As incidents in other stadiums have shown, we may not yet heave reached the point where we are ready for fans in the stands.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

If you're going to have fans in the stadium at all, 25% capacity might be a sort of sweet spot in theory. You can sell seats in such a way that you can keep social distancing, rigorously enforce mask-wearing, and take other means to protect everyone. The problem is that students are usually very young and thus think they are invincible. Making clear the rules might well make it worse for them.

It's a sweet spot "in theory". As incidents in other stadiums have shown, we may not yet heave reached the point where we are ready for fans in the stands.

Oh, even making allowances for "it's Football" and "it's Texas", I still think my alma matter should have kept the stands empty. I could see way too many unmasked students on the crowd shots. But Mullen not being able to see how small the crowd was is just inexcusable. And to call for a 90K+ in Florida's home game shows no regard for public safety. Hopefully he was caught up in the heat of the moment.

Just now, Grailknight said:

Oh, even making allowances for "it's Football" and "it's Texas", I still think my alma matter should have kept the stands empty. I could see way too many unmasked students on the crowd shots. But Mullen not being able to see how small the crowd was is just inexcusable. And to call for a 90K+ in Florida's home game shows no regard for public safety. Hopefully he was caught up in the heat of the moment.

It's Florida. I think a lot of people there would be happy to risk COVID for a football game. Which is why the restrictions need to be in place, especially in the student sections.