What’s Going On With Steve Long?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

When Steve started that sub-forum, I believe he was Hero's full-time employee in overall charge of the rules.  Now, he has to earn an income somewhere else, so it's not surprising the Rules Q board could not stay a priority.  The game companies with way more full-time staff do not, to my knowledge, have anything similar.

Sorry about the delays, folks. Partly it relates to some health matters and other real life causes for delay, partly it relates to me being lazy, partly it relates to what Hugh pointed out -- since I don't work full time for Hero/DOJ anymore, sometimes other things ambush me and take priority. But I'm working out some things, and Jason and I have figured out an arrangement that will give me the ability to answer rules questions on a regular basis. First I will have to clear out the backlog and delete all responses from other people, but that's what I get for taking so long.

I think it's important for everyone (maybe Steve Long most of all) to consider just how unusual that Q&A Forum is.  I don't believe that even the biggest players, like D&D or Pathfinder, make their top staff available to answer any and every rules question someone wants to post.  Those games have a lot more resources backing them than Hero does.

This is not "something Hero has to do to be in the game", it is a value-added which exceeds the norm - maybe someone else is aware of some other games that do this, but I doubt there are many, even if there are some.

It was only notable by its absence because we have been spoiled by its presence.

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2020 at 1:38 PM, Hugh Neilson said:

I think it's important for everyone (maybe Steve Long most of all) to consider just how unusual that Q&A Forum is.  I don't believe that even the biggest players, like D&D or Pathfinder, make their top staff available to answer any and every rules question someone wants to post.  Those games have a lot more resources backing them than Hero does.

This is not "something Hero has to do to be in the game", it is a value-added which exceeds the norm - maybe someone else is aware of some other games that do this, but I doubt there are many, even if there are some.

It was only notable by its absence because we have been spoiled by its presence.

Honestly I wouldn't have even noticed. (New to the Hero forums) Although I've been playing Hero system fourth and fifth edition for the past 9 years. (I'm 16)

I genuinely thought this game was dead and had few dedicated users other than myself and my friends. Had no idea the forum was this vibrant. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2020 at 7:49 PM, megaplayboy said:

Hope you feel better soon, Steve.  Hey, what happened to the Mythic Hero thread?  It was pinned to one of the forums for quite a while but I don't see it anymore.

I'm not sure -- perhaps Dan S. or someone else removed it (or changed its "pinned" status) during a clean-up session. I'm still working hard on MH, trying to get at least a little work done on it every day, and more than a little whenever possible.