Ye Old Melodrama Play

3 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

(I found Joker on Mike Surbrook's site and Catwoman on Matt Ignash's site.  I think most Rouges Gallery members would be easy to write up because they are normal criminals with some gimmick and would be in the Standard Heroic range, 150 points plus 50 points in complications.)

(True, but there are some oddballs. The various Clayfacees, False Face from the camp tv show, the Polka Dot Man's dot gimmick can be strange at times, Jane Doe's ability to skin a person and then wear their skin, Solomon Grundy.)

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's the day of the swim meet and everyone's excited.  The school's Mouseketeers and privileged cliques are out in force, as are students, staff, and faculty members.  Lane zero is closest to the back wall.  Lane nine is closest to the stands.

First up is the match race, Nancy verses Jodie, two lengths of the pool.  As they get ready to mount the blocks, Nancy offers her hand to Jodie, who rejects it.  Jodie is in lane seven while Nancy is in lane two.  As they mount the blocks, the announcer says, "Jodie will swim freestyle while Nancy will swim mermaid-style and will stay underwater throughout the race."

The starter says, "Ladies, please take your marks."   

Edited by Mark Rand
making corrections

They do so.  The starter looks around, notes that they are ready, then sounds the horn.  Jodie and Nancy enter the water and start swimming.  By the time one length is done, Nancy is, according to the timer on the far wall's scoreboard, five seconds ahead.  

After swimming two laps, Nancy hits her touch pad and leaves the pool.   When Jodie did the same, the announcer yells, "LOOK AT THE TIMER!!!  NANCY WINS, SWIMMING MERMAID-STYLE BY TEN SECONDS!!!"  Once again, Nancy's handshake is rejected by Jodie.

"Sore loser," Doreen comments.

As Nancy takes her position, the first event is announced.  Jodie is swimming in that one.  After it's started everything is going fine until Jodie is at the halfway point of the first leg.  Then, she is surrounded by a light and transforms into a mermaid.  As the audience gasps, Nancy jumps in and Rosemary Trueheart and Gail Thorpe move to assist.

52 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Rob runs in to support her mother and to assist as well as he can. Not all emergencies call for Lady Heart after all.

Doreen follows.  While some officials confer, another official tries to stop Rob and Doreen, but Rosemary says, "They're qualified to assist."

The official nods as the announcer says, "Swimmers, please vacate the pool."

In the pool, Nancy has reached Jodie who says, "Nancy, I'm scared."

"Don't be.  You're naturally buoyant.  I need you to tread water the way I am while someone grabs one of the float boards and places it in the water."

Jodie looks at the way Nancy is moving her feet and copies her. 

Gail gets the board and sets it in place.  At the same time, Nancy asks, "Jodie, do you know the dolphin kick?  That's what the mermaid stroke is."

"No, I don't," Jodie replies.

"Position yourself like you're swimming, but keep your head up and hands in front of you.  I'm going to get behind you.  I'll grab your tail fluke, and, on the count of three, start swimming for the float board.  It'll support you while you're pulled out of the water."

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be," Jodie says after getting into position.  She then says, "I can feel your hands on my tail." 

"Good," Nancy says.  "Swimming in three...two...one...Now!!"

Jodie felt Nancy's thrust and realized just how powerful of a swimmer she was.   "I'm close to the board," Jodie says.

"I know," Nancy says.  "Grab the edge to the pool."

Gail and Rosemary grab Jodie's arms.  "We have her," Gail says.

"Where's my swimming garb?" Jodie asks.

"Your swim cap and goggles vanished when you transformed," Gail replies.  "Your scales match your swimsuit colors blended together."

"Oh," Jodie says as she's guided onto the pool deck.  She turns and says, "Thanks, Nancy."

"You're welcome," Nancy says.  "I'm heading for the deep end ladder on this side."  She swims over to it and climbs out.

"What will happen to the rest of the meet?" Jodie asks.

"The officials will decide that," Rosemary says.

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

"Has this ever happened before?"

"Not to my knowledge," replies Miss Mary Ann Kramer, the girls swim team coach.  "Jodie, at least until we can get this figured out, and get you back to normal, you're not going to be swimming on this team.  We may, however, be able to find another spot for you.  I'm sorry."

"I understand," Jodie says.

The officials confer with Nancy, who nods, and goes back in.  "Lifeguard Nancy Adams is going to check the pool over and make sure everything's all right," the announcer says.  "If she passes it, this event of the meet will continue.  The rest of the meet will take place tomorrow.  All admissions will be honored."

Nancy comes out a few minutes later and says that the pool's safe.  The meet continues.

Jodie's mother comes over to Rosemary and asks, "What's going to happen to my daughter?  She wants to go to the Olympics and get a college athletic scholarship.  Now, both are impossible."

"The Faraday Memorial Clinic handles metahuman problems," Rosemary responds.  "They may be able to reverse what happened to her."

3 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

Nancy comes out a few minutes later and says that the pool's safe.  The meet continues.

Jodie's mother comes over to Rosemary and asks, "What's going to happen to my daughter?  She wants to go to the Olympics and get a college athletic scholarship.  Now, both are impossible."

"The Faraday Memorial Clinic handles metahuman problems," Rosemary responds.  "They may be able to reverse what happened to her."

"That's nice to know mom. Cause cousin Rebecca would have no idea how to cure this." A thought did reach his mind...there is another magical girl who has been known to heal bainful transformations. But would being changed against her will into a mermaid be considered bainful?

Also reaching her is a slight problem. How does one get in touch with Sailor Moon? Well, there is always hir contact with the Council.

"Excuse me mom. I need to contact someone." He goes to the side, makes sure people can't overhear him easily, then calls Piper, one of hir contacts in the Council. One of the so called Charmed Ones.

The officials at the swim meet assigned by the California Interscholastic Federation are the referee, judges, announcer, starter, timer, and various clerks.  The host school provides the lifeguard and health care team.  The official that tried to stop Rob and Doreen was one of the judges.

"Piper speaking, Rob.  How can I help you?"

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

The officials at the swim meet assigned by the California Interscholastic Federation are the referee, judges, announcer, starter, timer, and various clerks.  The host school provides the lifeguard and health care team.  The official that tried to stop Rob and Doreen was one of the judges.

"Piper speaking, Rob.  How can I help you?"

"Jodie suddenly transformed into a mermaid at the swim meet. Something magical has happened. Can you see if somebody casted some spell on her or something? And, if you can contact Sailor Moon. I hear she is an expert on reversing baleful transformations."

1 hour ago, steriaca said:

"Jodie suddenly transformed into a mermaid at the swim meet. Something magical has happened. Can you see if somebody casted some spell on her or something? And, if you can contact Sailor Moon. I hear she is an expert on reversing baleful transformations."

"Phoebe's her team's contact person, Rob.  I'll have her make the call.  Do you know if Jodie has a mermaid or merman ancestor like Nancy Adams or Cora Peterson?  If so, something, possibly stress, could've triggered the transformation."  After a few seconds, she adds, "Phoebe's calling Sailor Mercury right now.  She can let Sailor Moon know what happened."

2 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

"Phoebe's her team's contact person, Rob.  I'll have her make the call.  Do you know if Jodie has a mermaid or merman ancestor like Nancy Adams or Cora Peterson?  If so, something, possibly stress, could've triggered the transformation."  After a few seconds, she adds, "Phoebe's calling Sailor Mercury right now.  She can let Sailor Moon know what happened."

"She could, but what are the chances?"

57 minutes ago, steriaca said:

"She could, but what are the chances?"

"Don't know," Piper admits.  "If she does, she doesn't know about it.  If she did, she probably wouldn't be on her school's swim team.  I'll see what I can find out and contact you either way."

Piper calls Rob back.  "There are several groups of merfolk in the ocean close to the Northern California coast.  It's possible that someone in her family did something for a group and were giver merfolk powers in return which were passed on through the generations.  If Jodie didn't know about it, stress could've triggered it.  Just a sec.  Phoebe's trying to get my attention."

Fifteen seconds later, Piper returns.  "Sailor Moon's been notified and is enroute with Sailor Mars and Sailor Mercury."

11 minutes ago, steriaca said:

"Should Lady Heart stop by also?"

"No, Rob.  "If it's magical, Sailor Moon can handle it.  If it's a stress reaction, either Nancy or Cora might be able to calm her down.  Do you want me to call either one of them?"

As Rob's about to answer, Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, and Sailor Mars arrive. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"No, Rob.  "If it's magical, Sailor Moon can handle it.  If it's a stress reaction, either Nancy or Cora might be able to calm her down.  Do you want me to call either one of them?"

As Rob's about to answer, Sailor Moon, Sailor Mercury, and Sailor Mars arrive. 

"I also wanted to meet them outside of combat. It seems a pity that we only see each other in combat situations. And yes, if it doesn't work, then Nancy or Cora can help her calm down."

Just now, steriaca said:

"I also wanted to meet them outside of combat. It seems a pity that we only see each other in combat situations. And yes, if it doesn't work, then Nancy or Cora can help her calm down."

"Okay, go ahead," Piper says.  "Phoebe's trying to contact Nancy.  If she can't, she'll get in touch with Cora, who works for UC San Angelo's Oceanic Institute, which is across the Del Oro River, in Del Oro County."