On Dispel and Focus's

Sveta8

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2020 at 6:50 AM, Sveta8 said:

And worse yet, Dispel then seems to mock the attempt to change a non-fragile focus. Instead of stating that it simply can't be done, it left me on a goosechance through the book to find that Indestructible Foci are treated as having Difficult to Dispel... 16 times. That means it is multiplying the active points by 65,536. Which is quite frankly absurd.

I think you're misinterpreting that x16 Difficult to Dispel notation in the section of the Dispel entry dealing with Unbreakable foci. I've always read that as x16 active points (or 4 applications of the advantage, which would be a +1 advantage if purchased) rather than 16 applications of the Difficult to Dispel advantage (which would cost +4 if purchased). Mind you, any reasonably useful amount of armor is still going to be very difficult to break using that method—your basic suit of magical plate armor that gives +8 rPD would be treated as having a 192 active point power for the purpose of Dispel attempts. But if it were easy to do, declaring a focus Unbreakable wouldn't mean much.

12 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I think you're misinterpreting that x16 Difficult to Dispel notation in the section of the Dispel entry dealing with Unbreakable foci. I've always read that as x16 active points (or 4 applications of the advantage, which would be a +1 advantage if purchased) rather than 16 applications of the Difficult to Dispel advantage (which would cost +4 if purchased). Mind you, any reasonably useful amount of armor is still going to be very difficult to break using that method—your basic suit of magical plate armor that gives +8 rPD would be treated as having a 192 active point power for the purpose of Dispel attempts. But if it were easy to do, declaring a focus Unbreakable wouldn't mean much.

Whether it is x16 Active Points, or x16 Applications of Difficult to Dispel, the effect in practice is the same. A Unbreakable focus cannot be dispelled, and thus, rendered inert. A far better way would seem to be to use a Severe Transform: Focus to Broken Focus. Which is... Expensive, but likely closer.