Auto Fire & Damage Shield Which First?

Life

30 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

If you don't slap Trigger onto it, you can only do it when you have an action remaining, and that becomes your action.  That's very much not the OP's intent as I read it.

Umm if you turn on the said Damage Shield (which most people do) then you don’t need Trigger. Btw it’s not that you couldn’t turn on Damage Shield during your phase, I’ve just haven’t seen it.

7 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Umm if you turn on the said Damage Shield (which most people do) then you don’t need Trigger. Btw it’s not that you couldn’t turn on Damage Shield during your phase, I’ve just haven’t seen it.

I think unclevlad was pointing out that Block (and Deflection) are Attack Actions and end your turn, so the Teleport would not be able to happen.

I don't think I agree with him on that one, since Damage Shield is generally also taken on other attack powers and does not end your phase and can happen multiple times both before and after you use an attack action in a phase.

However, as a GM I would probably disallow it because Deflection is specifically designed for blocking Ranged Attacks. This is made pretty clear in the text of 6E1, 6E2 and the APG's. 

In any case there are other ways to accomplish what you want that would likely end up being less expensive and not require GM hand waving. Triggered DCV or defenses with linked teleport would work (with the trigger being attacked by autofire HTH attack) for instance. 

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It has to be Deflection on a Trigger, and in itself that's at least a caution sign.  I almost certainly wouldn't allow it even against a ranged attack, unless it was a single-shot defense that took considerable time to reset.  

Deflection is a caution sign power all by itself. 😃

@eepjr24as to Deflection you know RAW also talks about how it’s to be used at Ranges too. And you know what? Champions Powers also has it as a No Range Brick Power. Now in the beginning of the Book Me. Long points out that some of the builds might not be “legal”. so don’t just use that book as “official”. However I take it as an example of the rule that the GM is allowed to break any of the rules if he sees fit. Concept versus rules.  I see what your saying but myself, I’d look at a bunch of other factors.

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

@eepjr24as to Deflection you know RAW also talks about how it’s to be used at Ranges too. And you know what? Champions Powers also has it as a No Range Brick Power. Now in the beginning of the Book Me. Long points out that some of the builds might not be “legal”. so don’t just use that book as “official”. However I take it as an example of the rule that the GM is allowed to break any of the rules if he sees fit. Concept versus rules.  I see what your saying but myself, I’d look at a bunch of other factors.

That's great for your game.

Keep in mind  that we are answering questions for new posters here. Better they should learn the actual  RAW first and then expose them to house rules.

Because, in general, everyone's house rules are different. NOBODY'S house rules are wrong in their game but using them to answer questions about RAW always is.

Though I may be tilting at a windmill, I want to grow HERO and that can't happen without promoting the game as published and then explaining the ways to customize it.

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

Because, in general, everyone's house rules are different. NOBODY'S house rules are wrong in their game but using them to answer questions about RAW always is.

Though I may be tilting at a windmill, I want to grow HERO and that can't happen without promoting the game as published and then explaining the ways to customize it.

I try to limit my house rulings to specific cases where I can explain the reasoning in detail, and preferably where there's a large gap in those rules.  Basically, tho, I largely agree.  Some things can sound really good, but have bigger issues in practice.  These can go unnoticed without some experience.  Plus, I think it's better to generally start with tighter rulings and relax things as everyone gains a better understanding.

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

That's great for your game.

Keep in mind  that we are answering questions for new posters here. Better they should learn the actual  RAW first and then expose them to house rules.

I believe I said that way up thread. I said according to RAW the AF would hit before Damage Shield would go off.  

On 9/15/2020 at 3:49 AM, Ninja-Bear said:

If because if DEX Autofire goes first then all shots go at the same time. Damage Shield is activated then that attack is resolved. However the GM can rule otherwise.

@Grailknighthere’s my original post perhaps you should read the whole thread?

20 hours ago, unclevlad said:

It has to be Deflection on a Trigger, and in itself that's at least a caution sign.  I almost certainly wouldn't allow it even against a ranged attack, unless it was a single-shot defense that took considerable time to reset.  

I concur too.  Oh I wandered into GM territory with Deflection for sure but that was to resolve what the OP wanted.  

I distinction I want to make that sorta bothered more than it should of is: House Rules. To me there is a difference between GM permission and House Rules. The difference is that in this thread (and my usual thought process) is that when I suggest GM Permission, it’s referring to when the  Rule Book suggests altering he rule. When I say House Rule, that’s something that is totally either from me or perhaps another poster. I feel that if the Rule book points out that in the right circumstances the rules can be changed then it has more weight than just me saying hey do this. 

5 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I distinction I want to make that sorta bothered more than it should of is: House Rules. To me there is a difference between GM permission and House Rules. The difference is that in this thread (and my usual thought process) is that when I suggest GM Permission, it’s referring to when the  Rule Book suggests altering he rule. When I say House Rule, that’s something that is totally either from me or perhaps another poster. I feel that if the Rule book points out that in the right circumstances the rules can be changed then it has more weight than just me saying hey do this. 

I think that provides some further background to your responses. I don't make the same distinction, for me either way the GM gets to call what is going to happen. I see why some might make the distinction though, valid option, just not the one I would default to.

- E

15 hours ago, eepjr24 said:

I think that provides some further background to your responses. I don't make the same distinction, for me either way the GM gets to call what is going to happen. I see why some might make the distinction though, valid option, just not the one I would default to.

- E

And I can respect that!