A Thread For Random RPG Musings

tkdguy

Yes, Joe Dever passed away a few years ago. The forum I was in announced his passing.

An important thing to do is to find your sweet spot. What game system (and what edition of that game) works best for you? Of course, finding people who are willing to play it can be a challenge at times.

I’ve been skimming over Moldvey’s D&D. The thing that has struck me in the monster section is that he has some background for some monsters that I find interesting. I could use the information in my games as either fact or rumor. For example he notes that Giant Rats are found close to the Undead. If I use it as a fact then it makes sense why those monsters are together. If rumor, I’d make sure the players know it and ham it up! 

I’ve been watching a lot of Schola Gladitoria You Tube videos. I like how Matt Eastman goes into weapon design. I never really understood that the blade shape can dictate whether a blade was a chopping blade or stabbing blade or slicing blade or a compromise to be able to do two or more things. I was thinking after the video of the Fairbain Stykes commando dagger, we get all this knowledge for 1 pt. 

So on a lark I created a 3e character at 200 pts. I also used the recommend guidelines in the book but I used the minimum stats. I did this just to see the interplay of numbers and dice. Now I just had a battle against 3 UNTIL agents. Although Warboar went down, it was interesting and fun. 3e has some more wargame tactical elements to keep track off such as Range Modifiers change based on if Autofire was used.  Warboar did survive a 6D6 AF that hit him 6 times from one attack roll!  Warboar only has 40 STR and a whopping CV 6 plus one level for Punch and another for move bys and thrus.  It hurt him missing that Move Thru by one too.

One thing that caught my eye is that the claim of older characters had “cleaner” sheets-less clutter. Well, I looked at Sledge again and noticed that his END for using his sledge was off but it wasn’t. Sledge has RED EnD bought for his sledge but that’s not listed. Then I remember reading a blurb in Enemies III that they changed the format of the characters so that it was consistent and you could see how everything was bought. Anyways I thought it was it was interesting when the character debate pops up.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

My mistake. Sledge DOES have his 1/2 RED END listed. And I did get to battle Warboar against thugs which went better. I can see why 8D6 is considered minimal. Not sure if I would want to play  a character that wimpy. Still, its been a neat experience. 

At the time, 250 was the usual point count on characters.  How would Warboar be with 50 more points (and disadvantages?) 

7 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

PCs as royalty: yay (adds notable flavor and opens up opportunities), nay (takes extra work and is often a means to justify inordinate wealth that upsets a game) or somewhere in-between?

Depends on the system, the players and the GM's own trust/comfort level, I'd say.

10 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

At the time, 250 was the usual point count on characters.  How would Warboar be with 50 more points (and disadvantages?) 

Simple, I changed the Base points. I did this for 3 reasons in no particular order. First, as you know even with Champions Supplement III there isn’t as many Disadvantages as in later 4th ed. Second, these are still sample, play around characters and I’m looking more at the combat rules than the Disadvantages. Thirdly, I always hated coming up with Disadvantages. I barely can come up with a back story at times. So I rather take Disadvantages that I can enjoy (if that’s the right word) than load up on frivolous Disadvantages that I’d ignore anyways.